Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Quiet on the Mamquam/Cheakamus  (Read 2843 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
All Quiet on the Mamquam/Cheakamus
« on: July 14, 2004, 01:40:39 PM »

Did a little exploration fishing on the Mamquam this morning. Hit the river late, as usual.....8am. Fished one of the popular chum locations for a while, no sign of a fish anywhere......switched to some spots ont he Cheakamus a good spinny and glo'y FWR mentioned to me a while back.....nadda....

Had my token Taco bell experience ont he way home...and stopped at Murrin and broke out the trout rod. In 30 minutes I had ........NADDA.

Then I tried out a hunch that Big M had provided me around the Britannia area.....again...nadda.

Highlight of the day....fishing the lower Mamquam...out on a bar..all by myself, and I hear a bunch of stones behind me move, so I turn around, and their is the monster deer....like 7 feet from me. This thing was big...like the bigest dear I have ever seen....and a wierd fur pattern too...brown with lots of black around the head....beautiful creature...so, I put the rod down, and just sat there watching if for a good 20mintues...as it went about it business...not all to concerned with what I was up to.

I love stuff like that.

You don't make friends with salad.

Jericho

• Nuttin makes a fish bigger than almost bein caught
    • PTM
Re:All Quiet on the Mamquam/Cheakamus
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 03:24:38 PM »

...and here I thought I was the only one who HAD to stop at Taco Bell on the way home from fishing in the Squamish area!

Thanks SO much for the report, I am heading up the Squamish Valley Road this weekend and was wondering where to go - anyone have any ideas? All the reports I can find don't give me much hope...is anything in the Squamish  / Mam / Cheak / Ashlu system this time of year?

Johnny

Rank Newbie but will shut up and listen attentively :-X
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
(Thoreau)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:36:28 PM »

might be a bit early yet for Spring activity, but you never know.

Try the Cheakamus above by the raindawg cafe....it is a good place..other than that..I was stumped today.....might want to try lower down the Squamish Mamquam confluence...close to the ocean....

Taco Bell......its a must.
You don't make friends with salad.

otto

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 07:52:10 PM »

AqauBoy, ya tried the hike in lake Deeks lake??? excellent fishing for trout, but the trial up is brutal due to washouts and way too many bears.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:30:24 PM »

I too fished the Cheakamus and Mamquam but on Sunday.  Fishing for me was actually quite decent, 20~30 fish landed between 2 ppl with MANY missed hits, but the water was a little higher and milkier than what I would ideally want.  :P :P :P
Bring on lower water!!

Shane