Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/2016 Wally Hall Junior Memorial Steelhead Fishing Derby  (Read 9163 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2015/2016 Wally Hall Junior Memorial Steelhead Fishing Derby
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »

The derby once again started on December 1st and runs until March 15th. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at Fred's Custom Tackle. Two fish have been weighed in so far. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gip_p68BqBg

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: 2015/2016 Wally Hall Junior Memorial Steelhead Fishing Derby
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »

Nicely done Rod  :) I don't even have a fishing license but I entered anyway to support a good cause.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »

A reminder to all the wind up ceremony is Sunday, April 3 at the Vedder Royal Canadian Legion, 10 am. Prize winners must be in attendance and this year things are bit different... instead of everyone getting some sort of prize, there will be fewer but much higher end stuff being drawn. One I know for sure is a beauty Sage 2106 CP rod, built by yours truly.

Ms. Natashia Cox, Project Manager for the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition (FVWC) will be speaking about how the nearly $20k collected from this derby in the past 2 years will be spent on steelhead enhancement, work done by the FVWC recently, and if there is enough interest, is offering to guide a tour of the recently created habitat at the Browne Creek Wetlands, near Yarrow.  As always there will be a buffet lunch for all entrants attending, and an opportunity to meet with friends.
Please respond here, or pm me if you plan to attend and especially if you would be interested in walking the Browne Creek area.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

One last reminder about the derby wind up this Sunday and another request for interest in a tour of the Browne Creek wetland area after the ceremony.  Thanks !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »

Maybe someone can capture some pictures as unable to attend this year.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »

Rodney has offered to do that :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:52:23 PM »

Rodney has offered to do that :)
I thought he would.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 10:02:08 PM »

A reminder to all the wind up ceremony is Sunday, April 3 at the Vedder Royal Canadian Legion, 10 am. Prize winners must be in attendance and this year things are bit different... instead of everyone getting some sort of prize, there will be fewer but much higher end stuff being drawn. One I know for sure is a beauty Sage 2106 CP rod, built by yours truly.

Ms. Natashia Cox, Project Manager for the Fraser Valley Watersheds Coalition (FVWC) will be speaking about how the nearly $20k collected from this derby in the past 2 years will be spent on steelhead enhancement, work done by the FVWC recently, and if there is enough interest, is offering to guide a tour of the recently created habitat at the Browne Creek Wetlands, near Yarrow.  As always there will be a buffet lunch for all entrants attending, and an opportunity to meet with friends.
Please respond here, or pm me if you plan to attend and especially if you would be interested in walking the Browne Creek area.

I am unable to attend as the Indoor 3D Archery Nationals are this weekend in Cloverdale.  Archery has kept me off the river more often this year, and I have not been able to hook up with any grey ghosts. The starvation stick is living up to its name this year for sure.  The tour sounds interesting as I have always enjoyed walking along the creek between Bergman and Bowne Road.
Not all those who wander are lost

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »

Thanks for your response Sandman, you and Chris are the only two who have got back to us so unfortunately we have decided to forgo the tour of this very impressive, newly created fish and wildlife habitat.
I urge all anglers to have a look see next time they are in the Browne Road- Wilson Road area to see what can be done when like minded groups (DFO, FVWC, local Rotarians and the City of Chilliwack) collaborate.  Nick Basok told me this morning he has seen many coho pre migrants in the lower end of this system, so it is indeed working 8)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

First place - Chad Jackson (20.38lb)
Second place - Donald Browning (17.68lb)
Third place - Jaclyn Cabanos (17.369lb)

Dave can add in more info on today's presentation. I'll have a video of Natashia's presentation soon.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »

Indeed, another great event that gathered close to 100 derby entrants.  Again, kudos to Wally Hall for continuing this legacy to his son. Now, not only is Wally Hall Jr. lovingly remembered by his family but this event earns app. $10k yearly for salmonid work on the Chilliwack – Vedder River.   The money collected to date along with donations of cash and in kind work from other groups will go to spawning gravel augmentation at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake, hopefully this summer. FWR readers will know this site is the most heavily used steelhead spawning area as yet observed on the C-V.

Some of the prizes this year were a Bradley smoker, Islander, Milner and Shimano reels, several rods including the second place winning custom built Sage, a Hardy switch, Simms clothing, Vedder vest, etc, etc. When you consider the opportunity to win this sort of stuff, plus a free lunch, plus money going into fish production, it’s well worth your $20 entry fee.

See you all next year!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »

I just want to add Fred Helmer deserves huge credit for calling in markers for these awesome prizes ;)
He has always donated to similar causes and folks reciprocated.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »

Thanks guys/gals for organizing such a great event.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »

Boy 1st and 2nd place winners look thrilled in those pics ::)
I'm sure they were. Maybe just a little camera shy.
Nice to see a lady in the top 3 as I can count on one hand the amount of women I have seen fishing the CV this steelhead season.

Burbot

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »

Steelhead should be the last species that there should be any sort of derby for.