Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 17th 2015  (Read 2014 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Chilliwack River, December 17th 2015
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »

Welcome to another steelhead fishing report. It's really starting to feel like steelhead season now. It's cold and it was snowing a bit earlier. Maybe the fishing will pick up as well ;D

I had set my alarm for 7 AM last night and was eager to hit the flow in search of the illusive early run steelhead. The forecast had predicted that there would be a bit of snow tonight into the morning so I was very excited about that. Nothing makes it feel more like steelhead season than the cold and some snow. I toss and turn throughout the night imagining my float disappearing under the surface of the water while seeing flashes of chrome. Morning comes quick and I swiftly gather up my tackle and head out the door for the quick walk to the river. I decided to bring my centerpin gear as I find it more enjoyable to use. I then approach the river and find that the clarity improved quite a bit from two days ago. I decided on a sidestream and started to cast away.  I cover all the water with a fresh roe bag but I get no takes. Boy is it cold out! It's cloudy but no snow yet. The trails were barren of people but the river was lined with eager fisherman. I continue to cover the water further downstream but again, no takes.

Further down, I bump into one of my friends who has had no luck as well. His words to me are "There's too many fisherman and too few of fish." After a brief chat, we give our farewells and I continue to fish downstream as he heads back to his truck to fish further up river. It's nearing 11 AM and I'm nearing the train bridge area so I decide to head back up river to fish a couple of the pools again with a silver blade in hopes of aggravating a steelhead (likely a buck) into striking. But to no avail, the float stays dry. However, I do manage to cast into a nearby tree. This is what I deserve for attempting to cast a different way. What a beak. :P I make it worse by yanking too hard which in turn made me lose all of my gear except for the float. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. I have a quick chuckle and I then proceed to retie my gear and continue to work my way back upstream covering any of the water I had missed earlier. I was hoping for it to snow but it stays cold, somewhat windy and cloudy. It's now nearing 12, so I decide to pack it in for the day. My record now stands at 0-3. I'm confident I'll get one soon though to break that record. Anyways, the river is in good shape now and should fish well over the next few days with the cooler weather. In fact, it was snowing a bit here in Chilliwack. It has stopped now, but I think it will start again later tonight. Good luck to all those who venture out! I wish you lots of success!

Here are some of the pics I took this trip:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:31:31 PM by Nicolas The Fisherman »

Electroman

Re: Chilliwack River, December 17th 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:54:52 PM »

Thanks for the report. Your lucky to live so close to the river. 7am is when i usually make it to the river but thats after an hour drive.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Re: Chilliwack River, December 17th 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »

Thanks for the report and photos. The river sure looks nice!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com