Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 24th 2015  (Read 3171 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Chilliwack River, December 24th 2015
« on: December 24, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »

Welcome to another steelhead fishing report! I hope you're having a fun and relaxing Christmas so far. Today it felt like true steelhead weather. It was cold and it was snowing quite heavily.  Here's the story>>> I swiftly gathered my gear this morning at 6:50 sharp and was out the door for the short walk to the river by 7:00 AM. A pleasant walk, although it was chilly and it had now started to snow. Nothing was sticking yet but it was nice to walk in the peaceful snow. As I approach the lower river, I notice that the river has cleaned up nicely since last Saturday and is now in near prime shape. I decide on a spot and start casting away. The float stayed dry for the first hour or so. As I had now used up the last roe bag I had tied the night before, I decide to put on a cured prawn with a dab of wool. I continue to work my way down the river casting in every spot capable of holding a prized steelhead. As I approach a popular run, I see a nice seam that was ignored by the angler ahead who has now already fished through the spot and continues to fish further downstream. I approach the spot and make my first cast into the seam. Nothing on the first cast, but I cast again and the float stalls a bit. I pull back gently and I feel a definite tug. I try to set the hook but within a matter of five seconds or so, whatever it was on the hook is now gone. Unfortunately I don't get a second chance. Anyways, I continue to work my way downstream but the float stays dry. It's nearing 10 AM now and the snow is really starting to come down. It had been snowing on and off all morning but it was really starting to  stick now. It was a blizzard. My hands were getting so cold that it was getting a bit uncomfortable to fish. After another half hour or so, I decide to call it a trip and head on home. Today was a practice run for Saturday. I will be bringing my A game come Boxing Day. ;) ;D Well, thanks for taking the time to read my report. Here are a few pictures from the trip:

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 24th 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 05:53:40 PM »

Good report and pictures, hard to beat fishing Steelhead in the snow!!! Good luck Saturday, I hope to get up and be able to to provide an update with the winners and some video.

How many steelhead do the readers of this post think will be brought to the scales? I say 6.

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »

Nice report, Nicolas, thanks for posting! Good luck on Sat.

I say 7 fish will be weigh in.

dave c

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 06:38:48 PM »

Nice Report.  Tough luck on the missed fish.  Nothing is more gratifying than picking up steel behind someone who has just gone through.  Good Luck Saturday.  I say 5

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

I say 12

SilverChaser

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »

Awesome report
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »

Good report and pictures, hard to beat fishing Steelhead in the snow!!! Good luck Saturday, I hope to get up and be able to to provide an update with the winners and some video.

How many steelhead do the readers of this post think will be brought to the scales? I say 6.
Good guess, I will be awarding the prize to myself, breakfast at Cookies.