Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 151831 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I have seen busy days on the vedder before. But now its beyond that. Like peg leg during sockeye. Snag. Floss. Dredge. Barb. 3 hits on every drift. Rip. Rip. Drift rip. 90 percent of fish or more in the side. Sad.
Yep, this year does seem bad, especially for how poor the coho fishing has been so far.  Don't get me wrong, there are fish to be had, but I'm not encountering or seeing the numbers of any season in memory.  Maybe after this week's rain washes out all the old springs and people can no longer snag a fish every 10 casts the crowds will thin out.  I hope.

clarki

• Old Timer

I have seen busy days on the vedder before. But now its beyond that. Like peg leg during sockeye. Snag. Floss. Dredge. Barb. 3 hits on every drift. Rip. Rip. Drift rip. 90 percent of fish or more in the side. Sad.

Am heading back to work tomorrow after two weeks of fishing vacation. Having fished the C/V for 6 mornings, I didn't see any of that. Mind you, I chose not to fish where that was happening and I didn't rubberneck where it was.

You get what you pay for.

poper

Water was super clear today, I found it tough, only I keeper hatch, and a few darker spring jacks to release,we were in the upper parts, really nice day thow

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

was out camping at tamahi this weekend. i saw exactly what coho jake was talking about. every decent hole with a few feet deep was a rip fest. i dont know where you were but the only way i could find some non googan water was on my atv. i arrived thurdays night and fished a nice run friday morning with a few anglers a first light and nothing was touched. i probably fished another half an hour the rest of the weekend. did more riding than fishing. riding conditions were great. with these levels coho just dont seem to be moving. last weekend i fished the small spike in the graph and was rewarded with 2.

bigrig

It was and has been disgusting to watch the last few weeks, especially with the low water.
People know the rules and also know it is unethical to snag and jerk hooks through the pools and it has been beyond me to watch and I just wonder who the hell has taught these people to fish like this!!! Who? I'd like to see a mandatory one day ethics class once every 3 years as a requirement to possess a licence in BC
I spoke to 2 older gentlemen at the cable pool today and they stated that they have completely given up on fishing their beloved Vedder/Chilliwack River because of what it has become from the break-ins to the outright molesting of the the fish. To me, we have failed as a whole when I hear people says it's just not worth fishing or it's not fun anymore. 🤔

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Actually my experience this past week has been similar to clarki's. This river has been the most quiet I've seen in quite a few years! lol... The first couple of mornings I decided to fish, I showed up an hour before first light and sat alone in the cold until, first light.... and can't complain about the fishing either, it hasn't been hot, but every trip has been consistent with at least one nice hatchery adult coho to bring home. :)

spoiler

obviously you haven't driven over the Vedder Canal Keith Wilson bridge on the weekends Rodney! In the 50 years I have fished the Vedder / Chilliwack system I have never seen that many vehicles parked on the Chilliwack side dyke as I saw on Saturday afternoon!

Drewhill

It's definitely been busier than past years but every year from now on will be busier than the previous years simply because there's more people moving out to the Valley. Pink years also make the problem worse. A lot of anglers are introduced to the Vedder because of the pink fishery and most of those anglers start off by snagging and flossing pinks. They think it's easy to catch salmon and want to catch more so they continue to fish, trying to snag springs and coho. Got to remember their mindset right now is that they're "catching" fish and it's a lot of fun. Hopefully over time they realize what they're doing is wrong and they adapt. And then there's always the guys who just don't care about the sport and only go out for the meat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

There's a reason that I haven't driven down to the canal....

Fish where the crowd ain't if you don't like crowd... I don't understand the complaints lol...

Not bad this morning. More coho rolling around than I've seen since a couple of weeks ago, just needed them to bite... Only managed to land a hatchery while my dad lost two and released a nice wild. The bites were soft.

ali2pali

Rodney, are you still catching them on that magical spoon?  ....or are these mostly roe caught?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

There's a reason that I haven't driven down to the canal....

Fish where the crowd ain't if you don't like crowd... I don't understand the complaints lol...

Not bad this morning. More coho rolling around than I've seen since a couple of weeks ago, just needed them to bite... Only managed to land a hatchery while my dad lost two and released a nice wild. The bites were soft.

That's what I was going to say!  Why would Rodney want to take a look down the KWB, unless he wanted to amuse himself???

I took vacation over the last couple of weeks and the crowds haven't been too bad from my perspective.  The coho fishing has been challenging this year, but they're there.  Over the last week, I've been catching coho with the fly rod, as they have been sitting in water that has virtually no flow - ideal for casting and retrieving flies.  Otherwise, Stratocaster and I have been trying out other runs where we would each get a coho or two at first light, then the show would be over.  I did manage to get a "2 o'clock" coho in the upper river in the first week of October.  For some reason, we caught lots of coho jacks.  In fact, I've caught more coho jacks this season so far than past "complete" seasons which include the north side flows.  Hopefully that's good news for next year's run.

Now the rain is here, and we're going to get a huge dump of it!  Crazy!  We had virtually no rain all season and the water's been the lowest I've ever seen it.  Not for long...  :-\

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!

The rains could not have arrived at a better time for me! Blow everything out for the week while I am away in the Interior on the annual lake fish / hunting trip with the gang! When I return things should be perfect, that is if there are coho around!  ;) cheers all!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River was still in shape before dark, but rain was coming down hard. It's easing off for now so tomorrow morning can go either way, but worth the gamble considering there are lots of coho salmon moving throughout the river right now.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

Fished in the glorious sunshine on Sunday. Found a not busy run in the canal at 7am. 3 other fishers and I hit  a combo of chums and coho on roe and fly. Close by another walking speed run was stacked with fish holding. Through out the day roe and fly guys would pick 1 or 2 off there. I finished the day with 3 chums released and 2 coho bonked.
It ain't the roe bro'

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River rose just over a foot overnight but water visibility is down to a couple of inches.