Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 151832 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics

Thanks Rod. I was thinking of going tomorrow but not sure now if visibility will only be a couple inches ....haha
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Thanks Rod. I was thinking of going tomorrow but not sure now if visibility will only be a couple inches ....haha

Pretty sure we are done here for a week... It's pretty gross outside over here right now!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

Pretty sure we are done here for a week... It's pretty gross outside over here right now!

Yup...just got back from the river...only good thing about it was the cheaper gas. Ah well...still better than working.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

some holes with amazing fishing today, get out for the evening bite if you can

milo

• Old Timer

some holes with amazing fishing today, get out for the evening bite if you can

Not with only 2"...most holes require at least 6" to fish nicely. ;D

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

a timmys double double still flowing hard with  wind on and off constantly on the lower. graph showing water level has peaked and inching slowly downwards. going to get worse before it gets better....

mikeyman

If the vis is 2 in and the fishing is amazing i think we know who the snagger flosser is. Lol. This website promoting fishing. Yet do not see the problems...find another area with less people. There is a major problem if you witnessed the violations and carnage this season. Not a personal shot as there are many ethical anglers here. Great promote the sport. Maybe it is time to make a video and post it on the ethics of fishing vs snagging and flossing with easy to understand examples. In a few translated langauges. I am sure many anglers freaquent this site that would benefit from it. Show a short float rig drifting on the river....float standing up. Short leader. Float down game on...show a float dragging. 10 ft bouncing bottom 3 ft 4 ft 5ft 6 ft plus leaders. Bare hooks. Rip on every cast. Amazement when one might be in the mouth...pretend to fight it down river to bonk it. Walking in close enough on somone to give a reach around. I could continue. I know there has been lots done to promote proper methods. But to say whats the problem dont understand the complaints? Kinda ignorant. Go ahead delete this ban me from posting again. Dont care. Just saying this site brings new anglers to the river who may need to be shown the way. So then it should do more to help fix the problems. Then just finding a new spot. But hey the problem will always exist without more funding, enforcement, leader length restriction would be a good start to. Maybe a test to take to get a liscence. Basic rules barbed vs barbless. Snagging. Fish identification. Etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:57:50 PM by mikeyman »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Went out at noon and the pool I was fishing had good vis. Coughs 2 hatch back to back  on an orange koho spoon number 45 the one I believe rod was using last year

Fish this conditions all last year and this evening would of been even better. Sure tomorrow might be blown out but this afternoon was nice.

People have complained  the water level has been low and the fish are spooked. We get a bit of rain water level goes up its cloudy in the morning nice around noon. Fresh fish move in that aren't spooked and people still freak out.

Not sure why u assume that I was flossing
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:44:57 PM by wildmanyeah »

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

i believe he thought you were fishing at the KWB......with the methods listed.

DanL

• Old Timer

First light bite was actually ok today in the lower with vis ~2-3 ft but by 9'ish it started colouring up and was brown soup with heavy winds soon after. With all the rain forecasted I agree it may be tough fishing for a while.

If the vis is 2 in and the fishing is amazing i think we know who the snagger flosser is. Lol.

It's not completely crazy. There are some spots that have pools/protected areas that barely even exist or are totally dry in low water but form or fill up only in high water conditions where coho will hide out from the main current and hang out when the river is blown. I only know a few such spots, but I'm sure there are lots throughout the river for those in the know. Fishing can actually be really good in these sheltered spots and back channels when the rest of the river is raging.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Ok, that rant is not incoherent at all... lol... ::)

Two things.

Fishing with Rod is my job, please no the difference between it and me. When I go out and fish, I choose to be away from people and find my own fish. On an ideal day, I don't want to see anyone. If people happen to be around me, they'll be very welcome, but for the most part I'm not going to waste my time joining the crowd then be aggravated about it. My time is precious and I'd only have myself to blame if I decide to waste it on that stupidity. This doesn't mean that there isn't a problem on the most highly utilized river in BC, there is a big difference between what I do for work, and what I do for fun. Going down to the canal at 3am with 300+ other anglers is not my definition of fun. For some it is, and they should totally enjoy it. For the rest who choose to go down there then complain about it, you got too much free time because you're not valuing it.

Secondly, it is not MY responsibility to fix this problem, but I've chosen to expend some of my time and money on it. I can stand here and confidently say that this website has spent more effort than any other government agencies and NGOs on angling education in the Lower Mainland, from online content publishing, hosting ten years of "Fish for the Future" and two years of "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" to date, attending SFAC meetings once every six months, consultations with DFO C&Ps and province's CO's, peacemaker meetings, sitting on the board of the Family Fishing Society of BC, answering countless emails of "stupid" questions so people can go out and practice proper angling. What's that I hear...? Fishing with Rod is supposed to do... more? Why don't you do something instead of bitching and worrying about what others are doing? ::)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

.Secondly, it is not MY responsibility to fix this problem, but I've chosen to expend some of my time and money on it. I can stand here and confidently say that this website has spent more effort than any other government agencies and NGOs on angling education in the Lower Mainland, from online content publishing, hosting ten years of "Fish for the Future" and two years of "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" to date, attending SFAC meetings once every six months, consultations with DFO C&Ps and province's CO's, peacemaker meetings, sitting on the board of the Family Fishing Society of BC, answering countless emails of "stupid" questions so people can go out and practice proper angling. What's that I hear...? Fishing with Rod is supposed to do... more? Why don't you do something instead of bitching and worrying about what others are doing? ::)

You do good work Rod and your efforts are greatly appreciated...you need to add a middle finger emoji to the end of your post.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

I guess I'm not the only one who got skunked.... ;D

Talk about a rant coming from left field.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

What's that I hear...? Fishing with Rod is supposed to do... more? Why don't you do something instead of bitching and worrying about what others are doing? ::)

I appreciate all the work that you do! Education is everyone's responsibility and you do way more than your share every year  ;D

tworivers

The next time I see Rodney on the river... I'm going to hand him a Snickers bar. ;D