Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rec Sockeye Closure On The Fraser River  (Read 4997 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Rec Sockeye Closure On The Fraser River
« on: August 29, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »

Sockeye last day is September 4th on the Fraser River but you can fish selectively for chinooks. That means not BB ing.
Official notice From FOC out tomorrow.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Rec Sockeye Closure On The Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »

Sockeye last day is September 4th on the Fraser River but you can fish selectively for chinooks. That means not BB ing.
Official notice From FOC out tomorrow.

Not surprised, coho in river and Adams looks like a bust

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »

I saw it coming on the 17th. Historical data doesnt line up this cycle. I'm happy to have some calmer water for sturgeon and bar fishing 

poper

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:14:13 PM »

So in the notice it will say no B.B. or you will be fined?

poper

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:15:49 PM »

Or you will need wool on your hook? :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »

So in the notice it will say no B.B. or you will be fined?
Usually they just ask people to fish selectively, if too many donot they could and have closed it before. Lets wait for the official notice. I posted this so people that want to get out there know what is coming down the pipe. The Fraser Valley Salmon Society and Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance are trying to put a cleanup on some of the bars next Thursday. I will post more  when I get it organized.

poper

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »

Why not say, bar fishing only, if your not you will be fined or more, it’s the same every Year, just dumb, no laws in place, so really you can still B.B. until there’s a law. Will never change same every year.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »

Why not say, bar fishing only, if your not you will be fined or more, it’s the same every Year, just dumb, no laws in place, so really you can still B.B. until there’s a law. Will never change same every year.
A number of groups including the Fraser Valley Salmon Society have tried that for years but FOC stalls on it for reasons I donot understand.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 11:51:27 PM »

To further the above point by Mr Gadsden, there is currently nothing in the regs defining what is a selective method, bar fishing, or bottom bouncing etc. Until there is you can't ticket people for what is currently a legal method. I dont know what's preventing them from doing so, but there's probably a lot going on behind the scenes.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »

good. The river is too busy and parking along HWY is too much

BBarley

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 12:31:35 AM »

How many people will selectively fish for chinook on the Fraser vs how many people will move their new found craft to the tribs is the real question.

Has anyone faired well with the fall run chinook on the fly? Any particular style of pattern that one should focus on?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Short and sweet, I was on the conference call with DFO last night and here is the result.

The Fraser River Sockeye fishing will close as of Sept 4th midnight. So closed essentially on Sept 5th in Freshwater from Mission to Sawmill Creek.

You can continue fish selectively (Bar Fish) (Fly fish) for Salmon no bottom bouncing - Chinook / 4 per day - only 1 may be 62 cm or greater and then you could retain 3 jack chinook. Or alternatively Chum will stay open - 2 per day..the combined amount of Salmon you are allowed to retain per day is only 4.

There will be a bait ban in place..to protect interior coho.

Off to the river, Dean <")))><

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »

midnight Sept 4th means it is closed effective Tuesday Sept 4th not Wednesday the 5th . This is the date quoted on the opening announcement earlier in the month. A day starts at midnight (0:00:00) and ends at 11:59:59.

Since salmon fishing is closure during the night midnight is moot as salmon fishing doesn't open until an hour before sunrise everyday!

How many people will selectively fish for chinook on the Fraser vs how many people will move their new found craft to the tribs is the real question.

Has anyone faired well with the fall run chinook on the fly? Any particular style of pattern that one should focus on?

Ha Ha! I think most 'bar fishers' will tell you fly fishing for salmon isn't selective. They don't fly fish but they are the experts after all [sarcasm].

In the past I have heard FOs have not ticketed fly anglers during a salmon closure because they considered them to be targeting cutthroat but don't bet on that now.

Chucking lures and jigs etc could be argued to be selective.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:17:51 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »

midnight Sept 4th means it is closed effective Tuesday Sept 4th not Wednesday the 5th . This is the date quoted on the opening announcement earlier in the month. A day starts at midnight (0:00:00) and ends at 11:59:59.

Since salmon fishing is closure during the night midnight is moot as salmon fishing doesn't open until an hour before sunrise everyday!

Ha Ha! I think most 'bar fishers' will tell you fly fishing for salmon isn't selective. They don't fly fish but they are the experts after all [sarcasm].

In the past I have heard FOs have not ticketed fly anglers during a salmon closure because they considered them to be targeting cutthroat but don't bet on that now.

Chucking lures and jigs etc could be argued to be selective.

The closure is going into protect coho, that is why their will also be a bait ban going into effect.

Chum are starting to show in river as well, I herd the river will be open for chum fishing as well.

No real why to avoid coho

I think coho numbers are going to be strong tho this year let’s hope!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »

Bait bans have gone into effect after Labour Day to protect interior coho for many years. However fishing without a 'selective' restriction for sockeye during the Adams river peak cycle and pinks in odd # years has been allowed to continue since 2010 at least. Chum in the river are homing on some rivers in the upper valley and the lower canyon. They are not in big numbers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.