Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meeting With RCMP, FN, SDA, FOC,Guides, FVSS and BC Wildlife Fed.  (Read 5514 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I just got back from close to a 2 and a half hour meeting with the above. As my day started at 4:30 I need that nap as I would not be able to type a very good report. ;D

I also have asked BIll to give me his read on it.

One thing I held up the 8 letters I had printed out gave a brief talk on what they said and there was silence in the room for a few seconds so the letters are very effective.

I was glad and proud to be able to have them to say there is a lot of concerned anglers out there. I gave them to Bill and he wishes me to pass on his sincere thanks to you one and all that have written.

Here comes the pitch again, need more   .

When you have done them and sent them to the Minister and others please send to letter@fishingwithrod.com  . Also at the end ask for a respose from him, forgot to mention that before.

I am going to have a large spring salmon steak for supper and will give my report later, sorry for the delay.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 06:01:02 PM by chris gadsden »

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re:Meeting With RCMP, FN, SDA, FOC,Guides, FVSS and BC Wildlife Fed.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »

Mine is in :)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 08:16:22 PM »

i also sent mine in ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 12:58:58 AM »

I am only going to give a brief overview of the meeting.

As the thread shows the meeting was well represented and was called by the head of the Agassiz detachment in trying to cool the building tension on the Fraser.

One officier explained a number of incidents which most of us knew about but there was different descripions of each event by different witness's. The latest at Grassy was nowhere near what the local paper wrote about it.

FOC backs their decision to try to develope a better relationship with Cheam and they feel if they give them a drift fishery they may be willing to co operate more with fishing plans in the future.

The Chief on the other hand says some of his band are difficult to get in line but some want to be able to work things out in a peaceful manner and co operate more. So where that goes??

The guides requested that the FN drifters try not to drift near where the sports guys are fishing but the FN say they are good spots so want to drift there too. More???

SDA and a lot of us say if things are to improve it is simple enforce the law of the land.

The RCMP are now making patrols with FOC on the runs up and down the river.

One of the results of the meeting will be to strike a small working group to continue to work on things.

I for one do not think things will change one bit, I hope I am wrong but I think some FN bands are pulling the wool over FOC and the RCMP and will continue to fish illegally until the Minister in charge puts a stop to it.

"Operation Barbeque" is still on as is the letter writing campaign to letter@fishingwithrod.com  .

Please do it now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 01:17:54 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:09:57 AM »

Interesting point. Tricky situation indeed, since we got two groups that utilitize the same resource, and each group has its own bad batch of fruits, conflicts will continue to occur. :-\

Maybe it will come down to allocated time and location for each group to use the river, who knows. I certainly hope not.

Bantam_50

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 02:00:31 AM »

Good report Chris.

Here's also another alternative...

Fisheries Management Contacts:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/toppages/contacts_e.htm

I made a few calls today (got off work early and beat the 4:30 deadline )... they're hard to get ahold of. Out of about 10 calls I finally got through to someone instead of a voice mail.

I would have everyone concentrate on voicing your concerns to...

Lower Fraser River Area Chief - Resource
Management

Devona Adams

Think how DFO would take to finding 100 or so voice mail message requesting an explanation for this poor management?

btw - I was told the permitted deal signed with the Cheam band was DFO's decision to have a pilot fishery in the upper Fraser to see how it would do. This is a scary thought.

Sorry I didn't have my letter for you Chris (coaching soccer season calls), but it will be sent. Should of got you to say hi to Bill O. for me.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 04:59:23 PM »

Please check my post I made today on 5 excellent letters.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 10:38:03 PM »

Not that I know as they said at the meeting yesterday they were going out with FOC in their boat. I would think they would be able to bring one in from some where if they needed one and there is not one in Chilliwack.