Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Albion  (Read 2127 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Albion
« on: September 01, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »

Just curious .
Of the 364 Chinook netted in the Albion test fishery in the last 6 days as well as I suspect a few hundred more with other net test throughout the Fraser system . What do they do with these Chinook ? . Do they go to market somewhere here or to DFO  taste testing  ;D . Just kidding . Really , where do they dispose , i mean sell ............. them ? hmm .  :P
I think there is a thread somewhere in the archives here I can't recall .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Albion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »

Longliner Seafood at Granville Island market had fillets for sale a couple years back when rec and commercial fishing was shut down. It led to plenty of speculation on this forum about where they'd gotten them. Eventually someone got tired of all the speculation and just called them and asked ::) No big surprise, it was the test fishery.

Side note, they were $50/lb for fillets! I'll see if I can find a photo.

Edit: Thought I took a photo but can't find it. This was back in May/June of 2019.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:00:56 PM by Blood_Orange »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »

Some are released though most information indicates at best around 50% survive.

Some contracts with DFO or the PSC specifically state the guy operating the boat gets to sell them.

Up until the openings FN FSC openings on South Thompson stocks came into effect the test boats in the river alone caught way more than the reported FN ceremonial fishery.

BTW chinook are current open for sport angling in Mabel Lake, Kamloops Lake and the South Thompson. I have seen some very nice photos on some the BC Facebook Fishing pages of sport angling catches.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

danielk

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

Bruce’s market sell the fish they catch

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 10:45:15 PM »

The fish from these test nets SHOULD go to upper FN bands IMO.

Second, I jist drove through the Salmon Arm and talked with a few guys at a launch. Two boats had Chinook limits. I'm thinking of spending a few days uo there boating the S River.