Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pins , bushing or bearing  (Read 12609 times)

Aki

Re: Pins , bushing or bearing
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2020, 01:23:05 AM »

Well, ya, I guess if that works for you then why not. But honestly try wearing a crappy hat/toque, when you are ready to put your reel on the ground just toss the hat/toque down and lay your reel on that. Personally I can't imagine trying to get the pouch on my reel before I land a fish. I take good care of my stuff but your reel is a tool and like all tools if you use it eventually it's going to get a scratch. I will, however, say that I always try and put my pouch back on before I walk any great distance. I've taken a few good spills and if it were not for the pouch being on I likely would have destroyed my nice pin reel.

The hat/toque idea is a good one. Will need to try that

Electroman

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »

The hat/toque idea is a good one. Will need to try that

Yes it is. Way better than putting it down on the best looking spot and cringing.

I’ve got to try it.

stsfisher

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2020, 11:23:35 AM »

For the record I do fish both a bearing reel and a bushing reel, and don't worry too much about them taking a hit here or there. This is on purpose as I personally don't fish reels I have to worry about getting battle scars from rocks, and certainly  don't want to think about where to lie the reel in a safe place while thinking about the well being of my fish. And honestly if you are landing your fish properly for release you should not be anywhere near a rock to lay a toque or pouch down anyways, and if you are on shore landing a fish you are probably keeping it as it is a hatchery so no laying of the reel is necessary.

What I do think about is how will I keep the reel relatively dry in cold winter conditions, especially if it is one of my bearing reels as the bearing will freeze up and your day will be finished. I do however know that my bushing reel can be dried and cared for in the field after a soaking in order to continue for the rest of the day. This too me is the most important factor when "winter" steelhead fishing a bearing or bushing reel. All the other factors mentioned here are come down to personal preferences and mostly care and conditioning of your equipment.

For example; my bearing reels are supposedly sealed but I know they can get water, grit etc. in them over time. So when I know they will be sitting unused for some time I will soak the bearings in a carb cleaner/ machine oil mixture I mix myself. I leave them in this solution until I go to use that particular reel again. And yes I still have had to replace bearings, its just regular maintenance that is required, no different from a bushing reel with its adjustment screw needing to be adjusted over time. 

Most importantly,I like to keep my toque on my head preferably dry.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 08:41:54 AM »

jim

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »

Does my Silex have an adjustment screw? if so where?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »

No adjustment screws

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

Strange. My islander doesn't have the slightest sound. Same for my Milner. My older Milner did have a whooshing sound but I ended up replacing the bushing. Not too sure what bearing reels you've used where it makes a tick noise. Thats strange. Maybe if you cleaned your reels you won't have any problems.

Maybe you need to get you ears checked?

If you watch this video by the man himself, John Milner, he mentions right around the 4:20 mark that "...bearing reels tend to get noisy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7L0jdDWYaw

As as been said ad nauseum, new bearings in a pin reel are lovely. But as condensation, grit, or whatever gets into the bearings they WILL gradually become more and more noisy. I have had several bearing pin reels and I found the rate (and cost $$$) at which I was replacing noisy bearings offset the advantages of bearing pin reels. For me bushing is the way to go, but I will be the 1st to admit that bearing reels feel "tighter" and do tend to start up better in frog water.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:04:05 AM by Spawn Sack »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »

Maybe you need to get you ears checked?

If you watch this video by the man himself, John Milner, he mentions right around the 4:20 mark that "...bearing reels tend to get noisy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7L0jdDWYaw

As as been said ad nauseum, new bearings in a pin reel are lovely. But as condensation, grit, or whatever gets into the bearings they WILL gradually become more and more noisy. I have had several bearing pin reels and I found the rate (and cost $$$) at which I was replacing noisy bearings offset the advantages of bearing pin reels. For me bushing is the way to go, but I will be the 1st to admit that bearing reels feel "tighter" and do tend to start up better in frog water.

If you're an animal with your gear, its gonna get drift inside sure. But for those of us who treat our gear with respect, it'll last years.

Redduffin

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »

Something wrong if you need to change your bearing often.I have never replaced any of my bearings in any of my reels.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »

Something wrong if you need to change your bearing often.I have never replaced any of my bearings in any of my reels.
X2
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

lapa

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2020, 09:41:02 PM »

X3
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 09:42:48 PM by lapa »

spoiler

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »

I have only used bushing center pin reels so I can't comment on bearing reels.
I own 18 reels and a good amount of them were built in the early 1960's and still spin like a dream.
that should say something about bushing reels!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 08:07:21 PM »

I have only used bushing center pin reels so I can't comment on bearing reels.
I own 18 reels and a good amount of them were built in the early 1960's and still spin like a dream.
that should say something about bushing reels!

Do you use all 18 bushing reels ? Or do they just collect dust sitting on a shelf like some kind of trophy.

spoiler

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 05:29:09 AM »

I probably use 6-7 of them on a regular basis.
I started collecting them a number of years ago and  a lot of them bring back fond memories.
I don't consider them trophies

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »

Do you use all 18 bushing reels ? Or do they just collect dust sitting on a shelf like some kind of trophy.

Says the guy who made a point of mentioning that he has 23 rods? :o
You must be fun at parties...