Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrival of the Pinks  (Read 33677 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Arrival of the Pinks
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »

if you look at the cumulative totals 2015 through to this year are all basically the same. 2021 so far is on par with 2015 and slightly better than the other years but it's not a big difference. It's the fish that enter from the first 10 to 12 days of Sept that makes the difference in the curves

Just eyeballing the cumulative totals in area 12 and area 20 Seine fisheries for pinks, there have been more caught this year compared to 2019 and 2015.  I guess they want to low-ball it at 4.8 Million now in case it collapses like it did in 2017.  Once way more fish make it past the Mission fish counter, they'll slowly bump it up.  By then it wouldn't be very productive anymore to catch them on the Fraser.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2021, 06:05:04 PM »

keep in mind they have a better idea, via genetic sampling, where those fish are actually going.

With that said you may be right. Hopefully there is an opening.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »

Fraser Pink
 An increase in PSs test fishery catch on Aug. 23 and 24 in A20 could result in a second mode of the Pink return as seen in other years.
 Due to the current bi-modal characteristic the run is currently following, the PSC is finding it difficult to determine run timing. The PSC is continuing to determine the best expansion lines to allow for an accurate estimate of run size.
 At this time there is high uncertainty of abundance seaward of Mission.
 A run size of 5,500,000 was recommended by the PSC with a run timing of August 17 with
the expectation that the run size and timing will change as more information is received. The run timing of August 17 is one of the earliest run timings on record. Canada did not accept the run size of 5.5 million due to concerns around uncertainty of run size estimates and therefore and a run size of 4.8 million was adopted.

Fishery Evaluation
 Pink catch is projected to be close to the total TAC for the US. Possibility of Pink
catch to exceed USTAC depending on daily abundance.
 Expected low effort in both the Gillnet and Purse Seine fisheries therefore low Sockeye
bycatch.
 Sockeye bycatch mortality of 1,094 was calculated for all fisheries in the coming few
days.
 Canada continued to highlighted concerns with the Gn Pink fishery and the sockeye
catch. It is expected that the effort will be low in this fishery and therefore impacts
should be low. Canada would like to pick up this discussion in the post season.
 High concerns from Canada with the retention of any Sockeye dead or alive.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:30:46 AM by wildmanyeah »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »

Fraser Pink
A run size of 5,500,000 was recommended by the PSC with a run timing of August 17 with

In 2015, they opened up the Tidal Fraser on September 4th, with 6 Million run size estimate.  So we're getting closer to the target but not quite yet.   Fingers crossed next week for some big schools to come in.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »

In 2015, they opened up the Tidal Fraser on September 4th, with 6 Million run size estimate.  So we're getting closer to the target but not quite yet.   Fingers crossed next week for some big schools to come in.

Is someone getting exited? Having trouble sleeping? ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

An opening downstream of mission is being discussed

Surely it can’t have as all that sockeye by catch in the nets that rod posted about wowa
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 05:54:09 PM by wildmanyeah »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2021, 06:04:16 PM »

Is someone getting exited? Having trouble sleeping? ;D
Hell yeah! I keep pushing my time off from work until after the possible  opening ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »

updated;

The  Panel  adopted  a  Late-run  run  size  of  234,000, with an associated Area 20 timing of August 16, and a pink salmon run size of 5,700,000,
with an associated Area 20 timing of August 18 at today’s meeting. 

https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-regulatory-announcements/

I bet that will be the last update at least from the PSC.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »

updated;

https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-regulatory-announcements/

I bet that will be the last update at least from the PSC.

FN0866

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=249660&ID=all

The next in-season meeting of the Fraser River Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, September 3, 2021.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2021, 03:26:58 PM »

Tidal Fraser opens tomorrow for pink salmon retention. I'm closing this thread and continuing the discussion in this one.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=44189.0