Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Arrival of the Pinks  (Read 33709 times)

bobby b

Re: Arrival of the Pinks
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2021, 06:51:40 PM »

What do you all use the pinks for? crab bait? or?

Maple-Soy Bbq Pink Salmon

Fillet your pink and cut into about two to three pieces.  Mix together maple syrup and soy sauce. Depending on the size of your pink, I say about 1/2 cup of maple syrup and  1/4 cup soy sauce. Marinate for 4 hours. BBQ with the skin down and only BBQ about 3/4 done as it will still cook after you remove it, to keep the fish moist and not dry. This is great all year round and great if you have lots of pinks.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:44 PM »

Maple-Soy Bbq Pink Salmon

Fillet your pink and cut into about two to three pieces.  Mix together maple syrup and soy sauce. Depending on the size of your pink, I say about 1/2 cup of maple syrup and  1/4 cup soy sauce. Marinate for 4 hours. BBQ with the skin down and only BBQ about 3/4 done as it will still cook after you remove it, to keep the fish moist and not dry. This is great all year round and great if you have lots of pinks.

mmm. I may be revisiting the lowly pinko. Thank you.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »

mmm. I may be revisiting the lowly pinko. Thank you.

They taste more like a rainbow trout than a salmon, imo. I actually like them, but everything tastes better when you catch it yourself!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »

pinks have a milder flavour than either sockeye or chinook hence the tendency to enhance the flavour with various ingredients. When ocean bright or still in good condition from streams they are IMO very tasty. Usually we just BBQ them. We also like them in Jamie Oliver's "Fish Tray Bake" (see the link) recipe. Many cooks don't like the texture of the skin so I often fillet them and then remove the skin. 

Fish Tray Bake:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesgalpin/5440947289

http://goodfoodandredshoes.blogspot.com/2015/07/jamie-olivers-fish-tray-bake.html

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jacobleboe

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2021, 05:50:39 PM »

I fished around Bowen the other day for a few hours and didn’t get a single bite and most of the other boats around weren’t catching any either. I’m going to try again tomorrow but it seems to me like the fish are either getting a bit more tight lipped or their starting to move up Howe sound and Indian arm. Wondering if west van and furry creek might pick up now because of this but that’s just my guess. Let me know what you think it about my speculations I’m not an expert so correct me if I’m wrong.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »

Talked to a fishermen off Ambleside yesterday. Said he caught 2 pinks from shore so far this year.

Jacobleboe

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »

better than none

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2021, 01:03:39 PM »

Talked to a fishermen off Ambleside yesterday. Said he caught 2 pinks from shore so far this year.

I have a coworker who swims the west van shore line. He said typically when you are horizontal in the water you can feel the temperature difference with your lower body. He said you have to swim down deep this year to get into colder water.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »

Lots showin themselves on the outside of Bowen this evening.

danielk

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »

Heading just past sechelt in the morning to wack a spring.   Stopping by Bowen after for pinks and hoes I’ll let you know how we do

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2021, 09:18:42 PM »

Again , I looked at the marine weather and a wind warning comes up geeeeezzz . Should just go or wait till Sunday winds die down .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

danielk

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2021, 10:14:48 PM »

There isn’t a small craft warning go

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2021, 07:38:53 AM »

Yesterday's PSC report is actually soundly somewhat optimistic:

Pink salmon catches in marine area purse seine test fisheries appear to be above the recent year cycle average in
Area 12. While most pink catches have been non-Fraser pinks, the proportions of Fraser pink salmon have been
increasing in both Area 20 and Area 12 based on recent DNA samples. A recent DNA sample from the Area 20 test
fishery indicates that 28% of the pink salmon encountered are of Fraser River origin, 35% are from Puget Sound, and
36% are from South Coast stocks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2021, 11:02:57 AM »

Yesterday's PSC report is actually soundly somewhat optimistic:

8 million pink in 2019 and most of them made it to spawn. Then they give a 3 million forecast for this year.

I won’t be surprised in the slightest if more then double the forecast return this year.  Who knows of enough will return to get an opening in the Fraser for rec.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »

If you look at the forecasts over the years they are wildly inaccurate. In 2019 the preseason forecast was 4.7 million. Even on Aug 30th the estimate based on test fisheries was 5. That's a 60% error. In 2017 the forecast was 8.7  million and the return was 3.7or a negative error of over 235%. In 2013 the actual return was 5x the preseason forecast! Basing forecasts on sampling of outgoing fry is not accurate and the commentaries on line from PSC and DFO agree!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9