Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrival of the Pinks  (Read 33712 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Arrival of the Pinks
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »

So what your saying is the forest is for 3 million plus or minus 300% 1 million to 9 million.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »

The San Juan test fishing indicates modest results compared to other years back to 2011 for the gillnet fishing but very high catches compared to other years for the seine fishing.  What should we conclude from that?  With few apparently coming down Johnston Strait, the catch will be somewhat higher around the south end.   Potentially a good run?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2021, 06:54:33 AM »

My prediction will be more pinks in the river this  cycle than last. There will be no rec openings in Non-tidal and they will use the same old excuse "Protect sockeye and steelhead" blah blah blah.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »

The Fraser Pink in-season estimates should come next week based on the 2019 Notices.  I would not be surprised if they purposely under-estimate it again like they did in 2019. We reported 8.7 million in 2019 and we are seeing more fish than in 2019. So lets do some fuzzy math and make it 8.7+ equals 5 million.  More is less.  ::)

danielk

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »

Went by Gibson and let me tell you it was nutz.    Fish jumping everywhere we limited out on pinks in a few hours for 3 of us.   Couldn’t get a spring but that’s fine    A small pod of killer whales blesses us with a bit of a show. So that was a bonus.     Def no shortage of pinks this year. They were swimming in to the boat hahaha.  To funny.   And not a lot of boats were there    Happy fishing

jackster

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »

No pictures?

danielk

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2021, 05:03:38 PM »

No pictures !!!!  I have some!!      Hahahahah  8)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2021, 12:42:41 AM »

Went by Gibson and let me tell you it was nutz.    Fish jumping everywhere we limited out on pinks in a few hours for 3 of us.   Couldn’t get a spring but that’s fine    A small pod of killer whales blesses us with a bit of a show. So that was a bonus.     Def no shortage of pinks this year. They were swimming in to the boat hahaha.  To funny.   And not a lot of boats were there    Happy fishing

Nice!

Fishing has picked up a bit off the beaches but seems like the schools are smaller this season or it's still early.

Last season I was hooking into several fish per hour. This weekend it's several hours per fish! Saw a decent number of fish to the beach though, by other anglers, so maybe I just forgot how to fish  ;D ;D

Ah well, at least the scenery is nice. Get out there!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Phronesis

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »

Does capilano get any pinks? anyone catch them from beach shore?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2021, 09:18:57 AM »

Yes, several caught this week.

Phronesis

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2021, 09:27:47 AM »

Yes, several caught this week.

Nice, will give it a try this weekend - guessing it would be really crowded

sockeyed

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »

Stopped by the Squamish last night. Lots of anglers, few fish caught or seen rolling on the high tide. Most were foul hooked.

Water clarity has been brutal all month. About 6 inch visibility max, caused by the heatwaves. Mamquam river has dropped substantially and there are far fewer fish spawning that the past couple cycles. Hopefully the other systems have better returns as Squamish is heading into the tail end of the pink run.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »

I remember tons of fish were still moving through in early September at the Squamish.  Good ole days :(

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2021, 06:29:41 PM »

Today PSC upped the forecast return for Fraser pinks to 4 million from the preseason 3 million. overall returns have been looking good this week.The next 10 days will tell if there is an opening on the Fraser as I don't think 4 million is enough for that. I believe it needs to somewhere close to 7 million.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »

Of course there will be an opening. In typical DFO fashion, they will open it for retention when the bulk of the run has moved through. Look for late September. ;)