Spinners
- 12 (12.8%)
Flies
- 14 (14.9%)
Jigs
- 8 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: January 10, 2022, 06:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021  (Read 18492 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »

saw that Wednesday but I also noticed most people fishing beads were using longish leaders. :o

Yeah, I have been testing it out by purposely fishing much shorter and keeping track on how many fish are hooked in which regions of the mouth. I can pretty confidently say now that these fish love to swallow round things... Two days ago I had two fish chasing the bead down and grabbing it while I was retrieving.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 11:23:15 AM »

what colours are working best? The fellow beside me was using a large (20 to 25mm) pink bead. I was using cured coho roe (no dye). He caught more fish than I did.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »

This is the one I have been using (since it's the only pack I bought, too cheap to buy others), 14mm.

https://bnrtackle.com/product/soft-bead-mottled-cerise/

One thing I've noticed in the last two days however, is that in much slower water, my landing ratio goes way down on these beads. Yesterday it was 1/11. This morning was 1/5. I still gotta figure out the timing on the hook set, and perhaps using circle hooks instead of J hooks.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 11:54:23 AM »

Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho on this season 2021

You left out the category of "Experience"

So I had to pick the most suitable alternative.....therefore my weapon of choice is....BLACK FLY.....green...red...blue.....purple....white....pink with purple polka dots.... 8).

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 12:24:31 PM »

what colours are working best? The fellow beside me was using a large (20 to 25mm) pink bead. I was using cured coho roe (no dye). He caught more fish than I did.
Ralph is slinging gutz? Oh, the horror :)

Phronesis

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:40 PM »

This is the one I have been using (since it's the only pack I bought, too cheap to buy others), 14mm.

https://bnrtackle.com/product/soft-bead-mottled-cerise/

One thing I've noticed in the last two days however, is that in much slower water, my landing ratio goes way down on these beads. Yesterday it was 1/11. This morning was 1/5. I still gotta figure out the timing on the hook set, and perhaps using circle hooks instead of J hooks.

I've had good success on beads too. I used blood dot hard bead (pink, chartreuse, orange) and most hook sets i've got was when I noticed the float changing its pattern of drift, sometimes it would just wave like the weight hit the ground or sometimes like its stuck somewhere. I have got very few bobber downs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 01:21:33 PM »

Ralph is slinging gutz? Oh, the horror :)

well I caught some on a #3 Colorado as well as roe. Nothing on a fly but then I didn't fish it too long - too many people &some kept following me!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 01:34:43 PM »

Yeah, I have been testing it out by purposely fishing much shorter and keeping track on how many fish are hooked in which regions of the mouth. I can pretty confidently say now that these fish love to swallow round things... Two days ago I had two fish chasing the bead down and grabbing it while I was retrieving.
I started fishing these soft beads last year on the Skagit river for coho, and it blew my mind.  Down here you can use a tandem bead setup (up to 3 hooks are allowed, so 2 is no problem).  I fish them about 18 inches apart.  Earlier this season I was fighting a rather large coho that took the bottom cerise bead, and when he was running up stream in front of me, I noticed a smaller coho swimming parallel to him, chasing the shrimp colored bead! 

I have started experimenting with my retrieve so at the end of the drift, I will just engage my reel and let it sit there for 10 seconds.  The bead starts to flutter in the current and a lot of times that is enough to entice a strike.  Then I will start to retrieve very slowly, and again I often get strikes when I first retrieve. I think it is safe to say these fish love the way the beads wiggle in the current, either when held stationary or on the retrieve.

My landing ratio has been pretty good by pegging the bead about 2 finger-widths above the hook, but we are also allowed to use barbs down here :).

HKSR

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 02:23:12 PM »

Is it normal behaviour of coho to be chomping down on beads?  Like are they actually eating other eggs that are floating through the water?  Or is it just that the eggs irritate them and they snap at them? 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 03:48:15 PM »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:37:32 AM by dennisK »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »

Is it normal behaviour of coho to be chomping down on beads?  Like are they actually eating other eggs that are floating through the water?  Or is it just that the eggs irritate them and they snap at them?

Not only coho, but all salmon. They see any drifting single egg or roe chunk as competing genetic material they can't fertilize, so it must be destroyed.
Trout and other fish, on the other hand, see salmon eggs as food.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »

.......buddy caught a coho at chehalis one year that was so full of chum eggs it barfed them up with the slightest squeeze on the belly.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 04:49:18 PM »

Not only coho, but all salmon. They see any drifting single egg or roe chunk as competing genetic material they can't fertilize, so it must be destroyed.
Trout and other fish, on the other hand, see salmon eggs as food.

Most salmon will snap at a variety of lures, baits and flies. I think they see it as food and snapping at it or mouthing it is a conditioned response. Either that or it's oral sex.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »

Most salmon will snap at a variety of lures, baits and flies. I think they see it as food and snapping at it or mouthing it is a conditioned response. Either that or it's oral sex.
Salmon don't feed in fresh water as their digestive system has shut down en route to spawning. So while it is certainly a conditioned response (who knows what goes on in their pea-sized brains when they see roe?), I don't think that any of their attacks at our terminal tackle is driven by a need for food.

hammer

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »

Rod
I usually fish flies or metal but I am getting my kids into  float fishing. Any suggestions on Bnr bead size and colour