Spinners
- 12 (12.8%)
Flies
- 14 (14.9%)
Jigs
- 8 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: January 10, 2022, 06:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021  (Read 18495 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2021, 08:27:16 PM »

14mm mottled cerise is what I have been using, but I know others have had success with 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, in other colours...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »

Salmon don't feed in fresh water as their digestive system has shut down en route to spawning. So while it is certainly a conditioned response (who knows what goes on in their pea-sized brains when they see roe?), I don't think that any of their attacks at our terminal tackle is driven by a need for food.

I didn't say it was driven by a need for food. I just came home from a dinner out. It wasn't driven by a need for food either. I could have stayed home and cooked KD or oatmeal.

Some salmon do swallow food items like eggs but likely vomit it out within hours. I have caught coho with their stomachs stuffed with chum eggs late in the season. It's not uncommon to have coho suck  down spinners and get hooked in the throat.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:46:47 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

hammer

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »

Thanks Rod
Funny I found I had a package of the naturals with the red dot… ever tried them. Those things you try and forget about. I will have to give them a try and cerise. The mottled looks good. I will pick some up. I sometimes use a troutbead in that colour.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 10:39:05 PM »

6 foot leader  bare hook

Lunk Louie

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:39 PM »

Saw one guy nailing ho after ho, casting in fast water and swinging a bead across the entire width of the flow.....I was impressed until I looked closer and realised he had no float and was apparently using a sliding weight system where the weight allowed the hook to slide out as far as several feet (looked like about 6') down from the weight (pencil lead?)....which basically boiled down to bottom bouncing or in this case (short) flossing ??? He gave another guy, (who hadn't had one hookup all day and appeared to be a novice) a short tutorial on his method/system....next day i saw the grasshopper using his new found approach nailing fish after fish in exactly the same spot as his mentor was the other day   :-[ :-\ ::) :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:03:33 PM by Lunk Louie »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »

Saw one guy nailing ho after ho, casting in fast water and swinging a bead across the entire width of the flow.....I was impressed until I looked closer and realised he had no float and was apparently using a sliding weight system where the weight allowed the hook to slide out as far as several feet (looked like about 6') down from the weight (pencil lead?)....which basically boiled down to bottom bouncing or in this case (short) flossing ??? He gave another guy, (who hadn't had one hookup all day and appeared to be a novice) a short tutorial on his method/system....next day i saw the grasshopper using his new found approach nailing fish after fish in exactly the same spot as his mentor was the other day   :-[ :-\ ::) :o

They can bounce the weight with a float as well. just need a little technical adjustment which so many are doing in canal.

jim

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 01:53:19 AM »

i am making a better effort to use roe this season than last season, and has worked for me. soft red roe has been best.
will keep trying with it.
Wool ties, red inside peach, yellow /green, has been working.
tried a jig and lost a coho. yellow/green.
trying 8 and 10mm hard beads, light pink UV frosted, 8mm cerise, is working.
white 10mm corkie with pink dots/roe is working.
french blades/ chartruese back got a pair in sept./canal.
one on a gold spoon in canal.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

Black and orange wool. Suits the season and gets attention.
http://

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »

Yup, the Halloween Special.  :) Crack cocaine for chum.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 09:38:03 AM »

Got a wild fish with a hook still on belly. A 3/0 barbless hook with a piece of orange wool torn a big scar on the belly got my attention.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »

Got a wild fish with a hook still on belly. A 3/0 barbless hook with a piece of orange wool torn a big scar on the belly got my attention.
That's a HUGE hook, but what's your point?
I've caught fish with all sorts of piercings and ornaments hanging off their bodies. Foul-hooking happens. Whether intentional or unintentional is a different story for a different thread.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »

That's a HUGE hook, but what's your point?
I've caught fish with all sorts of piercings and ornaments hanging off their bodies. Foul-hooking happens. Whether intentional or unintentional is a different story for a different thread.

How often do you find the piercings decorated with wool? I found it more often than anything else.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

How often do you find the piercings decorated with wool? I found it more often than anything else.

A hook with wool will stick to the body longer. Spoons, spinners and beads tend to fall off sooner due to weight and movement in the water.
What I'm trying to say is wool is as legitimate a presentation as a bead is.
Nicely shaped to represent a single egg it fishes as well as a bead.
Snagging is all about a person's intention. Blame the snagger, not the wool.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »

A hook with wool will stick to the body longer. Spoons, spinners and beads tend to fall off sooner due to weight and movement in the water.
What I'm trying to say is wool is as legitimate a presentation as a bead is.
Nicely shaped to represent a single egg it fishes as well as a bead.
Snagging is all about a person's intention. Blame the snagger, not the wool.

Agree. but from this very limited poll, I can see wool is not popular. The likely reason is not easy to shape the wool to attractive form also it requires special technics to hook fish:)

Twitching jigs should catch up into the later season when fish start stacking in pools. I had some phenomenon days when only jigs worked and worked better than ever.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 04:30:04 PM »

Agree. but from this very limited poll, I can see wool is not popular. The likely reason is not easy to shape the wool to attractive form also it requires special technics to hook fish:)

Twitching jigs should catch up into the later season when fish start stacking in pools. I had some phenomenon days when only jigs worked and worked better than ever.

Not really. You fish wool exactly as you would a bead, except the wool is tied to the hook.
For research purposes, next time I'm out I will fish wool only, changing only the colour and size of the "egg".
Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to cut wool and shape it on the water, but with razor sharp scissors (which I now have as part of my new multitool), it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Coho like wool. I know for a fact they do. ☺️
Twitching jigs is a deadly technique. The only thing I dislike about it is the foul-hooking that takes place when fish are running thick. With wool and beads you can prevent it (you just don't set the hook when it's not a proper take). With twitching jigs you have no say whatsoever. You cast and then twitch... twitch...twitch...until you hook into a fish, hoping that it's in the mouth of a taker.
And most people won't break off a foul-hooked fish, so that they can get their jig back. I'm guilty of that, especially with those costly fancy jigs. With wool or bead, I just break the fish off right away. Most old-timers do. It's easier on the fish and faster to re-tie and get back in business.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:32:05 PM by milo »