Spinners
- 12 (12.8%)
Flies
- 14 (14.9%)
Jigs
- 8 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: January 10, 2022, 06:07:44 PM

Author Topic: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021  (Read 18476 times)

hammer

Re: Poll: What are you primarily using to catch coho this season 2021
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 06:40:22 PM »

I have used wool or “yarnies” used to great effect on steelhead. In the States, creating yarnies with sparkle, two or three colours, etc is almost an art form. Drifting rivers, using a both a yarnie and a bead,  I have seen the yarnie outshine.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2021, 08:37:15 PM »

-
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 09:12:48 PM by psd1179 »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2021, 09:12:56 PM »

Oh, absolutely! Coho chase jigs and hit jigs, no doubt about that whatsoever.
Unfortunately, they sometimes get the jig even when they are not at all interested in it. But it's part of fishing for migrating salmon, I guess.
You only snagged two coho all season? That's really outstanding. Well done.

sbc hris

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »

Not really. You fish wool exactly as you would a bead, except the wool is tied to the hook.
For research purposes, next time I'm out I will fish wool only, changing only the colour and size of the "egg".
Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to cut wool and shape it on the water, but with razor sharp scissors (which I now have as part of my new multitool), it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Coho like wool. I know for a fact they do. ☺️
Twitching jigs is a deadly technique. The only thing I dislike about it is the foul-hooking that takes place when fish are running thick. With wool and beads you can prevent it (you just don't set the hook when it's not a proper take). With twitching jigs you have no say whatsoever. You cast and then twitch... twitch...twitch...until you hook into a fish, hoping that it's in the mouth of a taker.
And most people won't break off a foul-hooked fish, so that they can get their jig back. I'm guilty of that, especially with those costly fancy jigs. With wool or bead, I just break the fish off right away. Most old-timers do. It's easier on the fish and faster to re-tie and get back in business.

Bingo on the jigs. I pretty much gave up fishing them this year. Even if you can manage to fish them in a way that minimizes foul hooking fish, you end up lining the fish and bumping into them. After a half dozen casts or so of this intrusive nonsense the coho usually go off the bite.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2021, 08:18:21 AM »

Not really. You fish wool exactly as you would a bead, except the wool is tied to the hook.
For research purposes, next time I'm out I will fish wool only, changing only the colour and size of the "egg".
Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to cut wool and shape it on the water, but with razor sharp scissors (which I now have as part of my new multitool), it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Coho like wool. I know for a fact they do. ☺️

you can do your wool ties at home. You might want to have a look at my posts on tying egg pattern in the Fly Fishing Cafe

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43823.msg415736#msg415736
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:19:52 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »

you can do your wool ties at home. You might want to have a look at my posts on tying egg pattern in the Fly Fishing Cafe

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=43823.msg415736#msg415736
Nice ties Ralph.
It won't work for me, however. First, I don't have a vise nor the time and patience to tie at home. Second, I tie my hooks to the leader using the West Coast loop knot a.k.a. the egg loop knot), in which the line is wrapped along the hook shank. My tuff of yarn must stay on the top of the hook.
Love the dot in your egg pattern, BTW. 👍
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:44:28 AM by milo »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2021, 12:21:25 PM »

Nice ties Ralph.
It won't work for me, however. First, I don't have a vise nor the time and patience to tie at home. Second, I tie my hooks to the leader using the West Coast loop knot a.k.a. the egg loop knot), in which the line is wrapped along the hook shank. My tuff of yarn must stay on the top of the hook.
Love the dot in your egg pattern, BTW. 👍

loop the yarn above the hook so it is as same as the bead.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »

Saw one guy nailing ho after ho, casting in fast water and swinging a bead across the entire width of the flow.....I was impressed until I looked closer and realised he had no float and was apparently using a sliding weight system where the weight allowed the hook to slide out as far as several feet (looked like about 6') down from the weight (pencil lead?)....which basically boiled down to bottom bouncing or in this case (short) flossing ??? He gave another guy, (who hadn't had one hookup all day and appeared to be a novice) a short tutorial on his method/system....next day i saw the grasshopper using his new found approach nailing fish after fish in exactly the same spot as his mentor was the other day   :-[ :-\ ::) :o

I failed to point out though that these people were not keeping foul hooked fish (of which I guesstimate were at least 50%) so although they were catching at at least a rate of 10x what anyone else was, they were not poaching.....in fact they seemed like upstanding people

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2021, 06:07:18 AM »

loop the yarn above the hook so it is as same as the bead.

Sorry if I missed but how do you loop the wool above? I only know the bait loop knot...

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »

Oh, absolutely! Coho chase jigs and hit jigs, no doubt about that whatsoever.
Unfortunately, they sometimes get the jig even when they are not at all interested in it. But it's part of fishing for migrating salmon, I guess.
You only snagged two coho all season? That's really outstanding. Well done.

In my observations, there are places where Jigs are effective and places where they are not and where many get snagged.  Milo, you probably know the mid river pool I'm talking about.  You'd think that after the 20th fish in a row hooked in the tail, that people would change their tactics.  In the same pool, I was floating small hard beads rigged to flutter naturally.  hooked about a dozen fish all in the mouth.  Pretty sure they weren't flossed as the they took in water that barely moved.  An ideal place to fish jigs is in a slow moving run that's not too deep and where the fish are scattered throughout and not stacked like cordwood.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2021, 09:23:39 AM »

Sorry if I missed but how do you loop the wool above? I only know the bait loop knot...

the wool can be tied with what ever knot.
this is a simple one and not weak the line

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2021, 09:32:04 AM »

oh cool. I'll try that. Thank you.

VictorBai

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2021, 09:49:03 AM »

I caught my first (and only, so far) coho this season with a floating jig. The jig was a 1/8 oz from Jiggeek, as recommended by Rod in one of his videos. I've bought more than 20 jigs from Jiggeek (since I lost a good amount of them on floating logs and bottom) and I hope that Jiggeek pays Rod for mentioning their names.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »

I caught my first (and only, so far) coho this season with a floating jig.

FWIW, while twitched jigs can be very good for coho, dead-drifted jigs under a float do not seem to be nearly as effective, unfortunately.

It's not impossible, as you have found out, but really not as successful a float method compared to say, roe or even beads.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »

The giant bead worked, but magic twitching did not