Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lead sinkers disintegrating into dust.  (Read 2444 times)

Blue_Fox

• Eat, Run, Fish, Sleep.
Lead sinkers disintegrating into dust.
« on: November 09, 2021, 07:47:45 PM »

Anyone here has issues with lead sinkers disintegrating into dust, especially after saltwater use?

I was looking at an old tackle box in the compartment where I kept a mooching sinker that I used for saltwater, and the outer part is covered in lead dust? The sinker turned into a whitish colour from the original dark grey colour.

Is it standard practice for those who fish saltwater to rinse their sinkers with fresh clean water to prevent this issue?

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Lead sinkers disintegrating into dust.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:48:27 PM »

Just make sure you use gloves when handling rusted lead.
A chemist would probably explain it better, but the bottom line is: that white powder chit is the bad chit, not the lead itself.
And rinsing the weights still won't prevent oxidation. Lead rusts in contact with air, too.
But since rinsing salt off fishing gear in general is good practice, why not rinse the weights, too? It can't hurt.

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 09:32:16 PM »

Just make sure you use gloves when handling rusted lead.
A chemist would probably explain it better, but the bottom line is: that white powder chit is the bad chit, not the lead itself.
And rinsing the weights still won't prevent oxidation. Lead rusts in contact with air, too.
But since rinsing salt off fishing gear in general is good practice, why not rinse the weights, too? It can't hurt.

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if lead weights contribute in anyway to increase water toxic metal levels? Any studies done on this? I stopped using lead based weights to non-lead ones but they are not available as widely as lead counterparts.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 06:30:04 AM »

oxidized or leaded salts are easily absorbed into the body if swallowed & even through the skin. The lead bans were actually aimed at stopping water fowl from ingesting discarded lead shot as digestive stones which can kill them in short order.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

4x4

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »

oxidized or leaded salts are easily absorbed into the body if swallowed & even through the skin. The lead bans were actually aimed at stopping water fowl from ingesting discarded lead shot as digestive stones which can kill them in short order.
[/b]

And killing the animals that ate the water fowl including way to many eagles.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 08:32:37 AM »

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering if lead weights contribute in anyway to increase water toxic metal levels? Any studies done on this? I stopped using lead based weights to non-lead ones but they are not available as widely as lead counterparts.
A few years before I retired I attempted to initiate a lead weight/sinker study, and it’s potential impacts on salmonids, on the Vedder- Chilliwack River. Various scientists were interested in working on such a study and it really had some momentum, up until we came across a study done by a UBC researcher who was studying Water Ouzels on the V-C. As part of this study, blood samples were taken from both Ouzels and American Mergansers and the results showed no elevated levels of lead.
The potential study was dropped in priority after that and never happened.

Phronesis

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 11:16:25 AM »

A few years before I retired I attempted to initiate a lead weight/sinker study, and it’s potential impacts on salmonids, on the Vedder- Chilliwack River. Various scientists were interested in working on such a study and it really had some momentum, up until we came across a study done by a UBC researcher who was studying Water Ouzels on the V-C. As part of this study, blood samples were taken from both Ouzels and American Mergansers and the results showed no elevated levels of lead.
The potential study was dropped in priority after that and never happened.
I see, thanks
I still dont want lead on my hands or wildlife