Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021/2022 Chilliwack River Winter Steelhead Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 15369 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Between early December and late May, Chilliwack River offers a productive winter steelhead fishery for both local and visiting anglers from the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. While other nearby systems also provide such a fishery, Chilliwack River yields more success due to the amount of fish being produced by the Chilliwack River Hatchery. This thread has several objectives:

• To provide valuable information such as fishing techniques, regulations, fish identification and other related information for first-time anglers who wish to participate.
  • To provide updated river conditions such as water clarity and level for all anglers.

Throughout the season, members will post up water condition updates so everyone can be alerted if condition is not ideal. Please feel free to post updates in this thread after your trips. We can all benefit from each other's updates and save gasoline and cost of our season. Please do not request for updates. All posts that request for updates will be removed.

Fishing regulations

Regulations for the steelhead fishery differ slightly to the fall salmon fisheries in BC, so please familiarize by going through the BC Freshwater Fishing Regulation Synopsis from time to time if unsure. For the Chilliwack River, anglers should be aware of these regulations. Please report violators by phoning 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

• You must have a valid freshwater angling licence. You must purchase a steelhead conservation surcharge if you wish to fish for steelhead (even if you only intend to catch and release). Freshwater angling licence and conservation surcharges can now be purchased online.
  • The daily quota of steelhead is two hatchery marked fish, which can be identified by the absence of the adipose fin and the presence of a healed scar. Once you retain your hatchery steelhead, you must stop fishing for the day and mark your catch on your licence immediately.
  • All wild steelhead must be released with care by keeping the fish in the water at all time.
  • All salmon must be released between January 1st and May 31st. Anglers may encounter early chinook salmon occasionally in the winter steelhead fishery, so please be aware of the differences between a chinook salmon and a steelhead.
  • The river section between the upper fishing boundary and Tamihi Bridge is closed from April 1st to June 30th.
  • The river section between Tamihi Bridge and Vedder Crossing is closed from May 1st to June 30th.
  • The river section below the Vedder Crossing is only opened to flyfishing from May 1st to 31st and closed from June 1st to 30th.

Fish species and identifications

While the primary target species is steelhead in this fishery, several other species may also be encountered. It is important to know the morphological differences between these species so you do not accidentally retain a fish that is not opened for retention.

Steelhead's life history is similar to Pacific salmon's. It is a variation of rainbow trout, which has an ocean phase. Unlike Pacific salmon, steelhead may not die after spawning. Size range of steelhead from the Chilliwack River ranges between 6lb and 15lb, while bigger fish have often been recorded every season.

Several identification keys can be used to recognize a steelhead. Its white gum and tongue, lack of teeth behind the tongue. Once arrived from the ocean, its body is silver with heavily spotted back. Its tail is spotted from top to bottom and it is not forked. During spawning phase, pink and red colourations become apparent on the gill plates and across the body. Below are additional photos that may assist you.

Resident rainbow trout can also be caught while targeting steelhead. Unlike steelhead, they are typically under 18 inches in length or 2lb in weight. All wild rainbow trout must be released.

Bull trout are often encountered while targeting steelhead and they are required to be released. Their size ranges between 1lb and 10lb. Bull trout can easily be identified by its white and pink spots across the body. Their mouth is large and extends way behind the eyes. The end of their pelvic fins is often white. All bull trout must be released.

Coastal cutthroat trout travel in schools. Several identification keys can be used to differentiate them from rainbow trout. Their body and tail are heavily spotted from top to bottom. An orange slack can be found on the bottom side of the gill plate. Their size typically ranges between 8 and 20 inches. Only hatchery cutthroat trout can be kept. All wild cutthroat trout must be released.

Mountain whitefish belong in the salmonid family. While their body is similar to a minnow, one can easily identify them by locating the adipose fin. Their mouth is small and protudes slightly. Their size typically ranges between 8 and 20 inches.

General etiquettes

When fishing for steelhead in a stream, it is considered rude to start just downstream from another angler who is already fishing. When approaching a run, always start from the head of it and work your way down so other anglers can have a chance to try it too. If other anglers are already fishing at a spot where you want to fish, then you should either move to a different spot or talk to them first. More likely than not, other anglers do not mind having you joining them.

2021/2022 winter steelhead brood collection program

The broodstock collection program usually begins on January 15th. More information to come.
Background information can be found in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKgbqcl6eQ4

2021 Boxing Day Steelhead Derby

This will once again be hosted by Fred's Custom Tackle. More information to come.

2021/2022 Wally Hall Junior Memorial Steelhead Derby

More information at:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=44346.0

Additional help

Your local tackle stores in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley provide excellent additional resource.

canucksfan233

Re: 2021/2022 Chilliwack River Winter Steelhead Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:52:25 PM »

Looking to catch my first steelhead this season ;D Will be going later in December once university is over. Guessing I probably want to focus my efforts on the lower sections of the river then?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »

Looking to catch my first steelhead this season ;D Will be going later in December once university is over. Guessing I probably want to focus my efforts on the lower sections of the river then?

Makes sense to me! Though fishing is probably gonna be tough in December. From what I heard March to April is the best time.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

DanTfisherman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 05:30:02 PM »

Hey Rod,

Never sure if it comes up, but thanks for helping out newer anglers with such a neat, informative opening post with regulations, season length, images, write up, and many other details at the start of each key season for various species over the fishing year.  To my knowledge, you do not see such well thought out, nicely constructed posts/messages elsewhere, so I do not know, good koodos or vibes your way for your efforts!!!

Would do a thumbs up or hands clapping if I could find it, but can't, so guess you get:

:)

Dano

Silex-user

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 09:42:15 AM »

Can't wait till the winter chromes to show up.

Silex-user

redside1

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »

Hopefully the coast wide trend from the Columbia to the Skeena does not continue this winter on the Chilliwack/Vedder. Washington State has already closed multiple rivers on the Olympic peninsula for steelhead fishing due to a very low winter steelhead forecast.
The province is also going to announce further closures on the Skeena and Nass systems to make sure this past summer steelhead return is not fished on.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »

Hopefully the coast wide trend from the Columbia to the Skeena does not continue this winter on the Chilliwack/Vedder. Washington State has already closed multiple rivers on the Olympic peninsula for steelhead fishing due to a very low winter steelhead forecast.
The province is also going to announce further closures on the Skeena and Nass systems to make sure this past summer steelhead return is not fished on.

is this speculation or confirmed by a reputable source on the north flows?

redside1

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 03:58:51 PM »

is this speculation or confirmed by a reputable source on the north flows?

I have a copy of the documents on some of the closures going to happen.
Biggest one will be the Kalum being closed from Jan. 1 until June 15.
Additional closures to the Copper, Mainstem Skeena, Zymagotitz and Lakelse. to name some of them. All designed to protect the holding over summer runs. Currently under the proposed stage but with plans to enact asap and last until June 15.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 04:03:19 PM by redside1 »

ribolovac02

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »

I remember a december 6 th , not that many Years ago , going out to show my buddy the ropes of stealhead fishing .
I hooked two fish that day , in the mid river section , I lost them both .Mind you , I could of been lucky that day , but the fish were wating in the perfect water , so I don’t know …
That year there was a a large number of fish weighed in and cought in December .

It seems like a long time ago , but it was only ten years I belive or so , our stealhead season is no where near what it was .

I still love the itch for hunting for them , but I rearlly  even try in December anymore …

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 09:33:50 AM »

I don’t fish anymore in December for steelhead as there are very few fish around. Over the many yrs since I started fishing steelhead back in 1982 the run nowadays imo is a March/April later run more so then a earlier Dec/Jan/Feb run on the Chilliwack river. Last year was very few steelies around the entire season in my travels. I saw only the odd fish getting caught on any given day and many days I did not see a single fish hooked. I talked to many good experienced rods on the river that I meet up with on the river year after year and they like myself we’re all struggling to find a fish. Having said that them and I will be back out there for another season this winter in the hopes of shaking hands with a silver bullet. Going to be a brand new river to fish after the floods. Tight lines

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »

I have a copy of the documents on some of the closures going to happen.
Biggest one will be the Kalum being closed from Jan. 1 until June 15.
Additional closures to the Copper, Mainstem Skeena, Zymagotitz and Lakelse. to name some of them. All designed to protect the holding over summer runs. Currently under the proposed stage but with plans to enact asap and last until June 15.

closing it to all fin fish?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »

I've had some awesome days between Boxing Day and New Year's Day. Beautiful water, quiet days, and even a few fish.

Big wild buck December 31

redside1

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 08:19:09 PM »

I've had some awesome days between Boxing Day and New Year's Day. Beautiful water, quiet days, and even a few fish.

Big wild buck December 31

thats a quality buck. how i miss the fish pictures this forum use to have.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »

there's an old old saying....

"A picture's worth a thousand vehicles"

This last few coho seasons being good examples.