Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm Moving  (Read 2883 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
I'm Moving
« on: March 22, 2022, 10:31:54 PM »

I just retired. My wife and I bought a place in Salmon Arm but there's one problem - I don't know where to fish there. The big lake is out as my 11 foot inflatable isn't built for that. I have a couple of belly boats as well and love swinging a fly. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
http://

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: I'm Moving
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:13:20 PM »

Congratulations on your retirement. Can't help you with the fishing ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 09:21:31 AM »

Congrats on retirement, Novabonker!

Lakes to check out in the area include White, Phillips and Gardom. Of the three, I have only fished White but that was many years ago.  Sportfishing on the Fly (SFOTF) has done several shows at White and Phillips. You can find those on YouTube.

For moving waters, I would suggest getting familiar with the Adams River and Little River and the associated fall and spring fisheries.           

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 11:14:26 AM »

The Shuswap River is gorgeous and not too far from SA. We used to canoe down every Thanksgiving from upriver of Kingfisher down to the Trinity Bridge. Lots of salmon, eagles, and other wildlife. Had many adventures over 12-ish years of doing that trip.

There's lots of resident fish in the river, and Kingfisher has some beautiful deep pools. Not sure what the salmon regs are there but hopefully there are still some opportunities.

Congrats on the retirement! That's a beautiful area.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »

Hey Bill, reach out to shuswapsteve  :D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 07:44:44 PM »

There's some huge, hog rainbows that feed on Sockeye eggs at the mouth of the Adams.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 09:18:24 PM »

Hey Bill, reach out to shuswapsteve  :D

I'm sure he'd LOVE that! We could become besties! ;D
http://

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 07:39:40 AM »

Friends of mine moved to Blind Bay last spring and I have been to visit several times since they moved there, most recently a couple of weeks ago. I am also thinking of retiring there. I have talked with a few of their neighbours about fishing and I would think your 11 foot inflatable would be fine for fishing Shuswap lake. One neighbour regularly fishes the lake in his 10 foot tin boat. Apparently now and April is good for rainbows in the lake. Trolling big streamers on a full sink line. Last summer I dragged some streamers behind my friends pontoon boat. Didn’t have great success but I did manage to catch a laker about six pounds and unfortunately a lot of pikeminnow. I don’t know a lot about the lake fishing (yet) but I hope this little bit helps. Cheers, Bill.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »

I retired here at Adams Lake 10 years ago. The fishing at the river mouth during sockeye runs is as good as it gets for large wild rainbows anywhere on the planet. The down side is this is not a secret. It is not quite Keith Wilson Bridge in October but still more than my comfort zone most days.
  Several local lakes already mentioned can be productive. It should be noted you are not too far away from Kamloops to include many of it's lakes as day trips.
 Love living and fishing here. Maybe we will run into each other.
Riverman