Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching Carp  (Read 6218 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Catching Carp
« on: April 16, 2022, 05:50:14 PM »

Hello everyone, in the last two years since I started fishing I have always wanted to catch carp. So I read every single article I could find on them, watched every youtube video learned pretty much every thing I could, talked to many carp fisherman and still two years and probably 100 hours and the water and I haven't got so much as a bite. I've fished at Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Lafarge, Sumas River, Deas slough, nothing. Ive tried corn, boilies you name it hair rigs and all that. Gone in prime times such as march, april, September, October. Fished near weeds like its suggested, tried moving to different spots to find them and still nothing. Are they really that scarce?! Are any carp pros willing to share some advice?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Catching Carp
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 10:25:58 PM »

how many pounds corn you have chum in the water?

fisherforever

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 07:06:39 AM »

Chumming the waters is illegal, time for you to read the regulations

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 07:42:42 AM »

Milo who is a member here is one of the few who has posted about fishing carp locally. You could shoot him a PM. I haven't caught a carp in 40 years even though I have scouted waters locally including some you mentioned looking for a chance to get some on the fly. Some suggestions; use worms & add anise oil to your boilies. We always did well on live bait though we never targeted carp specifically. Use light weights and a sliding weight rig or even no weight if you can.  Hatzig Lake and slough as well as Kaitzie Slough south of #7 highway are or were popular spots. Target fish in shallow water and not the deep stuff in spots like Deer Lake in Burnaby. There are spring salmon sized monsters in there and they love to suspend just a few feet below the surface. Just based on fishing over the last decades it seems to me carp numbers have dropped radically  in many waters over the years. Can't tell you why.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:09:22 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »

Carp fishing is all about attracting  fish to the bait. No other secret. Since chumming is illegal, the legit way is  cast reasonable amount bait at exactly same spot again and again, day after day .
Unlike complaining crowded river , you will appreciate many people fish carp together . That means more bait left there and will attract fish. Carp is very sensitive and easily been spooked. is the most difficult species to catch to some extent. That is why not popular here.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:35:04 AM by psd1179 »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 10:30:31 AM »

Chumming the waters is illegal, time for you to read the regulations
Here's my take on the chumming thing, this is the definition they have in the regs
"Chumming… attempting to attract fish by
depositing any substance in the water, is
prohibited"

the only words that might have different meaning to different people might be depositing and substance so here's the dictionary definitions.

deposit-put or set down (something or someone) in a specific place, typically unceremoniously (Roughly)

substance-physical material from which something is made or which has discrete existence

If you mash a packbait around your hook you are technically just using a really big bait. Since there is no bait size restriction, in terms of the way the law is written I don't see anything contradicting. Since odor is a physical property then that also wouldn't be allowed but I dont see any scent bans in place. So I will keep fishing in this way. Please comment if you see something wrong with what I said.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 10:31:30 AM »

Carp fishing is all about attracting  fish to the bait. No other secret. Since chumming is illegal, the legit way is  cast reasonable amount bait at exactly same spot again and again, day after day .
Unlike complaining crowded river , you will appreciate many people fish carp together . That means more bait left there and will attract fish. Carp is very sensitive and easily been spooked. is the most difficult species to catch to some extent. That is why not popular here.

I have gone to the same spot 4 days ina  row for a couple hours even saw a few jumps but no luck

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 10:34:33 AM »

Milo who is a member here is one of the few who has posted about fishing carp locally. You could shoot him a PM. I haven't caught a carp in 40 years even though I have scouted waters locally including some you mentioned looking for a chance to get some on the fly. Some suggestions; use worms & add anise oil to your boilies. We always did well on live bait though we never targeted carp specifically. Use light weights and a sliding weight rig or even no weight if you can.  Hatzig Lake and slough as well as Kaitzie Slough south of #7 highway are or were popular spots. Target fish in shallow water and not the deep stuff in spots like Deer Lake in Burnaby. There are spring salmon sized monsters in there and they love to suspend just a few feet below the surface. Just based on fishing over the last decades it seems to me carp numbers have dropped radically  in many waters over the years. Can't tell you why.

Thanks for your advice. Ive had lots of people tell me that they just throw a hook with a couple pieces of corn and a splitshot and catch them which really flabbergasts me when I think of all the work I put in. Maybe since there's so much pressure they just bite on the smallest rig

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »

Hello everyone, in the last two years since I started fishing I have always wanted to catch carp. So I read every single article I could find on them, watched every youtube video learned pretty much every thing I could, talked to many carp fisherman and still two years and probably 100 hours and the water and I haven't got so much as a bite. I've fished at Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake, Lafarge, Sumas River, Deas slough, nothing. Ive tried corn, boilies you name it hair rigs and all that. Gone in prime times such as march, april, September, October. Fished near weeds like its suggested, tried moving to different spots to find them and still nothing. Are they really that scarce?! Are any carp pros willing to share some advice?

have you checked out peter's vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8osC24JSLxg

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 12:17:15 PM »

Yes I have, Ive fished Huogen Park in the past a couple times. Hard for me to get there because I don't have a car yet.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 05:54:15 PM »

One thing interesting is the barb hook used in Sumas river carp fishing. One fisherman told me CO checked but said nothing.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »

One thing interesting is the barb hook used in Sumas river carp fishing. One fisherman told me CO checked but said nothing.

Yea barbed definitely arent allowed but I don't believe many care considering they only really fish for non game fish there, it still is the law though...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 08:11:27 PM »

there is still cutthroat in there, believe it or not!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »

there is still cutthroat in there, believe it or not!

I've caught more than a couple small trout there worm under a bobber. Not sure if they were cutthroat though.

sumasriver

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 09:11:27 PM »

My old swimming hole when i was a kid...  had to dodge the floating cow poop though....

Landed  coho not too far from there when i was a kid.....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:34:06 PM by sumasriver »