Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dink floats vs clear drift , vs foam ect  (Read 6198 times)

Chum Slayer

Dink floats vs clear drift , vs foam ect
« on: September 14, 2022, 03:39:30 PM »

What floats do you guys prefer for drift fishing for salmon, I usually use the grey foam ones from Freds or cleardrifts however this year I am going to dry dink floats instead since I have so many of them. What Floats do you guys Prefer?

Chum Slaya

ratfish

Re: Dink floats vs clear drift , vs foam ect
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 05:39:20 PM »

My selection depends on the situation. If I have a run to my own I do prefer the foam floats. However if I am fishing in a run thats shoulder to shoulder with fisherman I prefer a plastic round bobber. You know the ones you get at cdn tire that are red and white. That way I get a few extra feet of room to enjoy nature  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 08:08:44 PM »

Personal choice. They both will catch fish. I use Cleardrift simply because I have them.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:23:09 AM »

DNE style foam floats and cork only. plastic Cleardrift type floats crack easily especially in cold weather from my experience and are not worth the added cost.

remember one time was fishing steelhead in the winter taking a break to try and warm up my fingers only to realised i stepped on my cleardrift float smashing it into a hundred pieces. never fished one again.

both will work to catch fish as fish assassin said.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »

For many years I stuck to Drennan Zepplers (11g for coho, 20g for chinook and steelhead). The last few years, DNE 20g foam floats have worked pretty darn well, caught just as many fish as the Drennans, and the cost is 1/4 of a Drennan lol.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 12:02:18 PM »

I've fished them all and caught fish on all of them. Foam floats give an ugly drift IMO. I have a bunch of cleardrift and DNE floats. usually just use the DNE floats

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »

For many years I stuck to Drennan Zepplers (11g for coho, 20g for chinook and steelhead). The last few years, DNE 20g foam floats have worked pretty darn well, caught just as many fish as the Drennans, and the cost is 1/4 of a Drennan lol.

I just fish below Rod and use whatever he breaks off.
Fishing isn't catching

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 01:15:20 PM »

I don't know, that'd be a pretty long wait... ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 01:44:47 PM »

You too ? ;)

ButtLoadOfDucks

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 03:50:18 PM »

I like using the DNE ones with the extended stem at the top! Gives you a little more of a buffer when trying to keep your line out of the water but difference is negligible.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »

DNE style foam floats and cork only. plastic Cleardrift type floats crack easily especially in cold weather from my experience and are not worth the added cost.

I used cleardrift for a couple seasons and had terrible luck with them leaking. Even when they were brand new, or after they take a bit of abuse. I was going through average 1-2 floats per day from leaking. I've heard that their quality has gotten better now.

Tried some Top Shelf floats last year. Some nice designs but the hard foam also seems to crack and break sooner than one would prefer.

I eventually always just go back to DNE. Virtually indestructible and fairly priced.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »

I used cleardrift for a couple seasons and had terrible luck with them leaking. Even when they were brand new, or after they take a bit of abuse. I was going through average 1-2 floats per day from leaking. I've heard that their quality has gotten better now.

Tried some Top Shelf floats last year. Some nice designs but the hard foam also seems to crack and break sooner than one would prefer.

I eventually always just go back to DNE. Virtually indestructible and fairly priced.

This.

I experienced the same thing with cleardrift floats. I like the big water series, but found that after a trip or two they would start leaking...particularly at the wrong time! I.e. when the coho bite would turn on. Even brand new the odd one would leak. Lately I've been using Fred's clear floats and find them to be much more durable.

jim

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »

What about the float stops? How many to use?  been told 4, by guys fishing the rapids...
I have found a lot of floats with toothpicks stuck in them as if others, like me, find the float stop a huge pain...trying to figure out which system to use...

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:21:09 AM »

I like fish below the big groups. In no fish days, I often collect a lot of floats drift down. Keep the DNE float and give away the clear floats. Strange there are always more clear floats in the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 01:13:20 PM »

With the exception of when it first came out, I've had no problem with the Cleardrift leaking.