Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increased coho numbers  (Read 4436 times)

mikeyman

Increased coho numbers
« on: September 20, 2022, 07:21:23 AM »

Been noticing the increase in coho numbers this year especially ? I think they should reconsider an earlier opening time to allow bar fishing lower fraser.

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Increased coho numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »

Been noticing the increase in coho numbers this year especially ? I think they should reconsider an earlier opening time to allow bar fishing lower fraser.
I would certainly love to have a chance to spincast for them in the tidal fraser. Doubt it tho
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 08:59:27 AM »

Were protecting steelhead remember....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:24:56 AM »

lol not a chance.

avid angler

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 02:48:00 PM »

The coho closure is nothing to do with a lack of coho and everything to do with other endangered stocks co migrating in the same time frame.

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 03:36:52 PM »

The coho closure is nothing to do with a lack of coho and everything to do with other endangered stocks co migrating in the same time frame.
Oh but the Gill nets do less damage correct. What a crock of cupcakes 😒 .
This fishery could open up first week of October no problem.  Hatchery only. Allow the older generation some fishing opertunity that can't necessarily access other options.  Or the father son to go grab a lawn chair and enjoy.
Oh hey look at that Gill net floating down the river...dfo...no fish for you! Unless you are First Nations.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:50:17 PM »

I don’t think they can use gillnets right now

mikeyman

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »

The Gill nets have been in river since before May and will be to  mid November. Openings or not.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »

lol not a chance.

Hey Rod, Great video catching that white spring on the Vedder yesterday - way to persevere and stick with it.

Do you happen to have any insight as to if/when there might be an opening for hatchery coho on the Fraser this year? Are they going to wait until the bulk of the run has passed through before they open it (3rd - 4th week of October), like they've been doing in recent years (if there even was an opening)?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 09:01:56 PM »

Hey Rod, Great video catching that white spring on the Vedder yesterday - way to persevere and stick with it.

Do you happen to have any insight as to if/when there might be an opening for hatchery coho on the Fraser this year? Are they going to wait until the bulk of the run has passed through before they open it (3rd - 4th week of October), like they've been doing in recent years (if there even was an opening)?

The closure is the steelhead window closure and it’s never going to go away and if anything happens it’s only going to get bigger.  I believe it’s the same as last year

The steelhead closure starts (Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep 30-Oct)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:14:35 PM by wildmanyeah »

canucksfan233

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 10:14:33 PM »

November 1st still prob

mikeyman

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 06:04:37 AM »

The closure is the steelhead window closure and it’s never going to go away and if anything happens it’s only going to get bigger.  I believe it’s the same as last year

The steelhead closure starts (Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep 30-Oct)
So why Gill nets and chum fisheries? This is way more destruction than bar fishing can ever be.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 07:53:30 AM »

Commercial fisheries have the same closures

42-day window 19-Sep to 30-Oct
closure (commercial
drift and set gillnet,
purse seine, beach
seine, and shallow
seine fisheries and
recreational fisheries
occurring in the Fraser
River)

27-day window 26-Sep to 22-Oct
closure (commercial
troll fisheries and
FSC fisheries
occurring in the
Fraser River)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 09:22:39 AM by wildmanyeah »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 09:30:12 AM »

It's unfortunate that the fraser is closed for fall coho fishing but I gladly accept it if it helps protect our steelhead. I havent't bar fished for coho in 10 years plus I think. However if they do open in November well past it's prime, I plan to go and take my young son...easier to watch him on the fraser than the other rivers.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:15:32 AM »

It's unfortunate that the fraser is closed for fall coho fishing but I gladly accept it if it helps protect our steelhead. I havent't bar fished for coho in 10 years plus I think. However if they do open in November well past it's prime, I plan to go and take my young son...easier to watch him on the fraser than the other rivers.

You can go back a few years on this forum and see the outrage and people demanding closures to protect steelhead. I guess you its a careful what you wish for situation.

and probably why ROD did an LOL