Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson Again  (Read 3721 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Thompson Again
« on: August 17, 2004, 11:48:57 AM »

Boy; I don't post reports very often, but when I do someone always get upset at me. Sorry Troy.

Anyway another week on the Thompson and the fishing remained great. I averaged six fish per outing each moring and evening. All fish (Rainbows) ranged in weight from .5 to 3lb. The "Fishmaster of Spense Bridge" Paul Lapionte outfished me again as usual with a 5lb trophy. Successful patterns last week were Joe's Hopper, Golden Stonefly Nymph, tan Stimulator, red bodied Tom Thumb, Alder Winged Caddis.

I find the Thompson to be a first class river for an advanced fly angler, providing enough action to keep you interested but hard enough too keep you going to the fly tying bench dayly, in hopes of perfecting a better pattern. While the lower Thompson is a great river for a advanced angler, I recomend you consider the members in your party, since this river is dangerous for and can discourage a novice quickly.

In answer to your questions re Springs moving through, in word "Squat".  
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
Re:Thompson Again
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 12:54:07 PM »

I think the reason people get upset about 'T' reports is they know what a fragile fishery it is. I'm a regular, was up river from ya & noticed 3 times as many boats as last year & about one fifth the # of fish. Some people are worried about the fish, we know how aggressive they are & thus are very easily overfished. If you were up last year you know exactly what I mean. We all love & appreciate the honest reports, just have to be careful.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 01:36:44 PM »

JP I have found that the rainbow fishery has improved much over the last few years, wiht the size and quanity increasing, at least on the end of the river where I fish.

Yes; the Steelhead are suffering but I maintain that is the fault of fish farms and the sea-lice they are generating in the estuaries. Not too long ago the Steelhead were showing signs of recovery, (I witnessed it) then guess who lifted the restrictions on fish farms and gave them cart blanch for expantion and presto 'The Steelhead are not returning!"  As a cure the government wants to close the river. Yah! Let's kick all the anglers of all the rivers, then no-one will be witness to any problems. What a concept. See on evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil; what more could a government want.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 04:06:22 PM »

I was talking about the trout fishery Newsman. While this weekend was OK there is no where near the size of fish we encountered last year. I know the trout cycle between runs but where are all the big ones. I didn't fish SB last year but was upstream of CC. I witnessed a large drop in the average size & #'s. Maybe I worry too much?

TROY B

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:11:15 PM »

thanx jp...you underestand...

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »

I noticed in your column in the paper that you mentioned you landed an early summer run. How big was it?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 01:15:33 PM »

3.5 lb I know that sounds smal for a steelhead but it is the only explaination for the sea-lice scares. Unless those thompson bows migrate to the sea which I highly doupt. That raises another question; If a smolt survives sea-lice preditation, does the constant blood sucking impede their growth? I would think so!

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 10:42:10 AM »

Newsman, I'd be surprised if that was a steelhead. Hard to explain the scars but.......The forerunners of the 'T' run arrive in the SB area in late September & these are few & far between. Even one salt fish in the 'T' average 7-10 lbs but you just never know. Long ago steelies probably showed up early (before commercials). I have not heard of an August 'T' steelhead.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 05:30:40 PM »

The old timers I know around the Bridge tell me that in the old days 60 years plus Steelies could start showing up in mid Aug. with fresh fish moving in through April. If you are going with what the Gov. Bio. Boys are telling you I wouldn't put much stock in since They didn't acknowledge a single Steelhead past Hells Gate untill 1948.

As for strange things for other strang things that I have witnessed and the Gov. Bio. Boys dispute. I have seen Rainbows spawn in tribs of high altitude Cariboo Lakesas late as Aug., and minnow eating resident Raindow in waters around Merrit. Dispute me if you wish but I know what I saw.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 08:53:26 PM »

Sorry about the garbled english, I hit the send botton a little too quick when excited.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 08:25:48 AM »

Thats right Newsman, early biologists thought Thompson Steelhead were not strong enough to pass Hells Gate. Steelhead caught in the Nicola & above were considered residents. The Steelies were thought to go as far as Hope. Sure wish those August fish came back.