Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 33920 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2023, 03:42:32 PM »

THANK YOU for sharing that great photo!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2023, 03:50:42 PM »

What type of set up in terms of flyfishing for pinks ? Floating line, tapered leader ?

coastangler

« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2023, 04:40:18 PM »

What type of set up in terms of flyfishing for pinks ? Floating line, tapered leader ?

If you look a few pages ago, there are good tips from Ralph and others. I always start with a floating line and a slow intermediate sinking tip/poly-leader (1.5IPS, the ones that are clear). In few occasions I end up using a heavier tip but most of the time I can manage with intermediate tip and then adjust depth using angle of cast, i.e. start casting right in front of you, and see if you are getting a good swing - if too shallow, cast slight upstream or try downstream mend, then also switch to heavier flies, etc

Similarly, if you keep hitting bottom or foul hooking fish it means you are fishing too deep, so then you can maybe try with a lighter tip, lighter fly or adjusting the angle to be more downstream instead. Good luck! this fishery is super fun and rewarding (most of the time lol)

Also regarding rod choice, I always recommend 8WT. Many like using lighter rods but honestly let's keep it fair on the fish. Also Squamish pinks are a bit bigger and I've seen many butts kicked to those using 6WT - do yourself (and the fish) a favor and use 7WT and up
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 04:45:21 PM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

coastangler

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2023, 04:56:27 PM »

Forgot to mention - after the tip, I use a butt section of 1FT with 20LB mono using loop to loop with the tip, then a triple surgeons to 3ft of 10-12LB mono then the fly. Butt section helps casting and I also find I have a lot less breakoffs than attaching the tippet directly to the tip
Sir Edmund Hillary

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2023, 05:29:21 PM »

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 18, to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed. It is currently estimated that 689,300 sockeye and 31,500 pink salmon have passed the Mission hydroacoustics site. The Panel adopted a run size of 310,000 Early Summer-run sockeye with an associated Area 20 timing of July 24, 800,000 Summer-run sockeye with an associated Area 20 timing of August 13 and 17,000,000 pink salmon with an associated Area 20 timing of August 13.

Roderick

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »

You would think thats an opening for pinks in the lower Fraser.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Colersmom

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2023, 07:20:26 PM »

Where on the squamish is a good spot for the pinks, I know this is a dumb question but I haven't been since 2019 and forgot where I exactly went. Thanks!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2023, 07:51:18 PM »

You would think thats an opening for pinks in the lower Fraser.

They will open it the question is before or after labour. Hopefully before

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2023, 08:58:20 PM »

In 2021, they opened it on Sept. 3rd

coastangler

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2023, 07:27:35 AM »

Where on the squamish is a good spot for the pinks, I know this is a dumb question but I haven't been since 2019 and forgot where I exactly went. Thanks!

With the current water levels and regulations, you are limited to the two most popular spots: Mamquam Confluence and Fishermans Park (Judd Road). That's it. Both spots have good access so you should be able to find a place to cast if you walk around a bit.

Fishing for salmon is closed on all the tributaries and also in the upper Squamish until Coho season opens on Sept 15th
Sir Edmund Hillary

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2023, 09:19:45 AM »

the forecast is for cooler nights for the next 4 days or so. That may help water clarity particularly in the morning.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2023, 09:53:05 AM »

Yesterday was decent at Furry Creek, Fished about 8:30-10 on an anchovy style spoon. Saw about 10-12 fish on the beach although 7 of them were from two guys. They were fly fishing from what I saw. It was slow when we arrived so we fished near mamquam bar and got skunked too did see a little bit of fish activity. Water clarity was non existent if I'm being honest. Also it was clear not everyone was playing by the rules by this image. Looked about 3-5 hours old when we got there.

We went back to furry creek at afternoon low tide for another 2 hours and saw 2-3 caught. None for our group.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »

They will open it the question is before or after labour. Hopefully before

it will be opened once the FSC fishery for Chinooks hits it's goal or the Chinook nets become too filled with pinks. In meeting DFO has openly said so to those attending. Question is, on what date will this happen?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 07:35:22 AM by redside1 »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »

an opening where? They are not open off the mouth and there's not much point in opening the river below Mission for 2 or 3 weeks since the first big push of pinks happens around Sept 7th give or take.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

redside1

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2023, 07:39:00 AM »

an opening where? They are not open off the mouth and there's not much point in opening the river below Mission for 2 or 3 weeks since the first big push of pinks happens around Sept 7th give or take.
the point of opening the river below Mission would be opportunity. Fishing is all about hope and opportunity. Why wait until there is a big push before opening the river and creating a rush to be there?