Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 27339 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2023, 07:48:02 AM »

Anyone can fish below Mission for trout, sturgeon or coarse fish right now. There's your 'opportunity'. The FN chinook fishery started last week & likely will continue until the end of the month (see your last post).
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2023, 08:44:24 AM »

Anyone can fish below Mission for trout, sturgeon or coarse fish right now. There's your 'opportunity'. The FN chinook fishery started last week & likely will continue until the end of the month (see your last post).

from my experience catching any trout in the tidal Fraser is extremely difficult and rare. Coarse fishing gets boring and for sturgeon you need to invest lots of money into gear
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2023, 09:11:14 AM »

from my experience catching any trout in the tidal Fraser is extremely difficult and rare. Coarse fishing gets boring and for sturgeon you need to invest lots of money into gear

that's my point - if they provided an opportunity to fish for pinks now or even for the long weekend (which is what some people are getting at) taking advantage of that opportunity would provide pretty much the same experience you describe.

pS - you don't need expensive gear to fish for sturgeon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2023, 10:57:35 AM »

Does furry creek produce during high tides? Trying to plan a weekday and mostly its high tide at 3-4m

yoda

« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2023, 09:46:11 PM »

watch out at furry creek. i got my window smashed and truck gone through right in the visitors parking at olivers landing. nothing to steal. buddy says he has seen someone tenting around in the bushes in various locations. be on the lookout.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »

I was there on saturday, and then went everyday during my camping trip 22-24. Never saw or heard something like that... I honestly enjoyed the ocean fishing much more than the river fishing. Furry creek has such nice views and fresh fish you can keep. Squamish river was dirty, fish are in poorer condition and C&R.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

4 fish in total over three days, not bad for my first time beach fishing. Things to note. BRING TASMANIAN DEVILS, seems that only that lure was catching fish, saw some caught on the fly but nothing compared to tassies. Bring at least 3 of them. I lost 5 total but I was being a bit foolish. Also use 15 lb leader if running braid. Had some fish break off and lures gone flyinf your line will get damaged and frayed on the rocks. I was using 10 lb and I think it was not enough. Early morning low tides were the best evening as well but honestly most of the time for hours at a time out of 10 people 1-2 fish would be caught and 3-4 hooked. But sometimes a school comes by and you will see 3-4 fish on at once pretty cool and interesting how it played out. You can get 2 fish in 15 m if you get lucky. Which i will say this fishery is mostly luck.

Jelly_

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2023, 11:49:25 AM »

Nice catch Darko!

yoda

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2023, 01:54:16 PM »

i have talked to you. will say hi to you next time i am there.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2023, 02:04:29 PM »

i have talked to you. will say hi to you next time i am there.
I wont be at furry creek anymore this year but definitely at the fraser maybe delta or Richmond

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2023, 04:54:13 PM »

I wont be at furry creek anymore this year but definitely at the fraser maybe delta or Richmond

Did you rig your tasmanian devil line thru method - like a buzz bomb? Or did you leave the metal wire in it and fish as out of the package....

great pics, by the way.

coastangler

« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2023, 07:30:24 PM »

Good job Darko! Thanks for sharing
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2023, 09:44:26 PM »

Decent day at Furry Creek. Went late morning still got 2. The fish were way outside jumping. I observed that the guys jigging with long casting pink buzz bombs seemed to do better than even the Tasmania Devil gangs. Don't forget to bring the good old buzz bomb in case the fish are out of range most of the time like today. Luckily my 13.5g TD did get out far enough to hit 2 beauties. Tight line!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2023, 08:01:06 PM »

Did you rig your tasmanian devil line thru method - like a buzz bomb? Or did you leave the metal wire in it and fish as out of the package....

great pics, by the way.

I caught fish using both but apparently the thru method leads to less line fray I heard. Honestly I dont think its much different but majority use the thru method.

clarki

• Old Timer

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2023, 10:18:32 AM »

Any anglers present for this?  :(
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/snorkeller-drowns-near-mouth-of-furry-creek-in-howe-sound
oh wow how tragic. I was thinking to myself how many lures I could retrieve if I went for a dive but looks like it's not such a good idea.. I wonder if the tide played a factor in the drowning maybe some sort of underwater current??