Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 27536 times)

danielk

Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2023, 11:13:50 PM »

The fish are around!!!!!! But the people catching them are zippered lipped ! Pinks are here trust me 👍

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »

The fish are around!!!!!! But the people catching them are zippered lipped ! Pinks are here trust me 👍
No doubt there are few lucky people catching them already.  Your odds are not high right now though.

Phronesis

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2023, 09:04:16 AM »

I thought so too....nobody wants a big crowd
Ill give it a try next week anyway

dobrolub

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2023, 09:10:08 AM »

yea, sure. been there a day ago - no people, no kill marks and no fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2023, 10:14:29 AM »

Most of the reports are that some are being caught off Bowen etc. Furry creek is mostly an early morning fishery so that's best time to try your luck. People there at dawn and happen to see & reach a school going through could do well even if overall numbers of fish are low. However the pattern this year seem much like the last 2 cycles, little or no fish showing or being caught in the first weeks of the season. In 2021 reports got somewhat better later in August but it was pretty spotty for the most part.

FWIW reports from the Island beaches and rivers is they are not there in any significant numbers either. The Campbell us usually rocking by now & much the same at the Adam/Eve. Whatever is happening seems consistent inside the SOG and Johnston Strait.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 11:16:38 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »

Went early this AM to the lower Squamish mostly for scouting. Tons of anglers already (counted 30 when I left), most fly fishing, although didn't see anybody catching anything. Lucky me I caught two bullies (or the same one twice perhaps, as it was on a different fly but at the same spot with about 30 min in between the catches).

Didn't expect much being low tide and overall what looks like a late return, but to me it was worth the drive. One positive is that the the water clarity was much better than this time 2 years ago. Can't wait to come back next week and hopefully shake hands with a pinkie or two

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2023, 06:55:21 PM »

Went early this AM to the lower Squamish mostly for scouting. Tons of anglers already (counted 30 when I left), most fly fishing, although didn't see anybody catching anything. Lucky me I caught two bullies (or the same one twice perhaps, as it was on a different fly but at the same spot with about 30 min in between the catches).

Didn't expect much being low tide and overall what looks like a late return, but to me it was worth the drive. One positive is that the the water clarity was much better than this time 2 years ago. Can't wait to come back next week and hopefully shake hands with a pinkie or two

nice bull trout ! Looks healthy and shiny. I have camping booked around august 20 on the mamquam hopefully there is an opening for catch and release. If not maybe I'll try furry creek or something.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2023, 07:51:33 PM »

There were fish in the squamish today, not a wack load but enough to keep you trying. but no luck for myself. Aslo saw a pod of fish sitting under the railway bridge on the mamquam. Tried furry creek on the way home watched about a dozen people for around 45 minutes didn't see any hook ups or evidence of fish being caught.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2023, 08:11:43 AM »

Seems like the La Nina weather helped the survival rates for certain salmon species on the West Coast.  Now that we'll have El Nino Winters again, it may not be good the ocean survival rates in the near future.

Catches looking pretty big for pinks now, have a feeling it’s gonna be more retiring for Fraser then 2021

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2023, 09:26:28 AM »

Catches looking pretty big for pinks now, have a feeling it’s gonna be more retiring for Fraser then 2021

Yeah, 82% more caught in Area 12 Seine and 31% more in Area 20 Seine over the last 9 days.  Hope this keeps up.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2023, 10:25:14 PM »

If one reads the weekly panel report, very few fish caught in the test fisheries are bound for the Fraser. They could be Campbell River fish that can return in hundreds of thousands. Local guides are reporting this run is 'late'. Some of the mainland rivers there also have good returns in odd numbered years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Old Blue

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2023, 10:41:21 PM »

Fraser are the last of the pinks to come in....too early to tell on how things will be.
Tides look good this coming week to hit the beaches....too bad work is keeping me occupied but a friend is heading out sunday so hope to add some intel.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2023, 09:14:15 AM »

Yea it’s still early the panel is saying only 12% are Fraser pinks. Tho from past years usually good early catches of other stocks translates into good catches of Fraser later.

I’m gonna be optimistic and say will beat 2021 returns to the faser, less of course the catches drop off a clif these next two weeks.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2023, 10:06:33 AM »

First pink caught in the in river Fraser test fisheries yesterday, Brownsville bar test

Phronesis

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2023, 09:01:32 PM »

Went to furry creek today during rising tide for 1-2 hours, didnt see anyone catch anything but its a beautiful scenic spot to relax.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12