Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 27532 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2023, 12:18:02 PM »

No action for me and everybody else this morning.  Test Fishery still looking pretty good with 20000 caught in Area 20 and 12000 in Area 12 yesterday.
Non Fraser systems are getting a Ton of Pinks I presume.

In 2021, the Area 20 Seine best single day catch was 14000 on August 23rd.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 12:42:22 PM by fic »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2023, 02:02:27 PM »

Berry's Report is that fishing was productive "lately".

The situation sounds very much like 2019 and 2021 with spotty reports varying from productive to nothing for anyone.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »

Went to furry creek today during rising tide for 1-2 hours, didnt see anyone catch anything but its a beautiful scenic spot to relax.
Yes , was a bust for me to Sunday. Trolling up and down for a couple hours, shot over towards port Mellon but nothing there. Wind picked up fast in the afternoon so I split. The beach looked pretty slow too .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Kever

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2023, 08:59:12 AM »

Swung flies on Mamquam bar on Friday, hooked one, it was my sister's first time fishing, she landed two good ones swinging a small spoon.  Not a whole lot of people connecting around me but there were a few lucky ones.  It's not lights out fishing yet but definitely worth hitting the river right now, it's a fun day and time "flies". 

I need to buy some MOW tips, even with an unweighted fly and T-8 sinking head I was hitting bottom a lot.  The run is very shallow this year.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2023, 12:19:03 PM »

Latest dna from area 20 26% Fraser fish

Area 12 mostly other south coast stocks,

Jelly_

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2023, 04:13:48 PM »

Does chartreuse work well for pinks as well? First time going for pinks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2023, 06:17:30 PM »

Does chartreuse work well for pinks as well? First time going for pinks

yes. particular in glacial clouded water like the Squamish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2023, 12:35:35 PM »

Swung flies on Mamquam bar on Friday, hooked one, it was my sister's first time fishing, she landed two good ones swinging a small spoon.  Not a whole lot of people connecting around me but there were a few lucky ones.  It's not lights out fishing yet but definitely worth hitting the river right now, it's a fun day and time "flies". 

I need to buy some MOW tips, even with an unweighted fly and T-8 sinking head I was hitting bottom a lot.  The run is very shallow this year.

Very similar report than mine. Also spent many calories swinging flies this weekend to just get a couple of hookups. There's definitely fish in the system but I suspect we need larger numbers before they become more aggressive towards the offerings, as the few fish in there didn't seem super keen. I imagine it will only get better from now on, though

On the MOW tips point, jeez those are expensive ($34 CAD before tax) - some fly shops have their own T material rolls so they may be able to get you a shorter piece still on your gr range for your tip/rod so it won't mess up your casting and I hope it will be much cheaper than paying almost 40 bucks for a tip!!

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Kever

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »

Very similar report than mine. Also spent many calories swinging flies this weekend to just get a couple of hookups. There's definitely fish in the system but I suspect we need larger numbers before they become more aggressive towards the offerings, as the few fish in there didn't seem super keen. I imagine it will only get better from now on, though

On the MOW tips point, jeez those are expensive ($34 CAD before tax) - some fly shops have their own T material rolls so they may be able to get you a shorter piece still on your gr range for your tip/rod so it won't mess up your casting and I hope it will be much cheaper than paying almost 40 bucks for a tip!!

Ended up buying a 10ft versitip 4ips which sinks half as fast as the T8, was $20.  I have a bunch of DIY sink tip material in T8 and T14 to avoid the cost of buying individuals but I needed something lighter.  Also bought a bunch of flies for $2.50/ea which is pretty reasonable. 

Gonna try again on Saturday, hopefully the fish have arrived in greater numbers.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »

DNA on the call today, area 12 pinks are mostly quinsam river pinks

the area 20 pinks are seeing a larger portion of Fraser pinks then expected at this time.

to early for IN season estimates on fraser pinks

some good news out there Chilliwack sockeye are seeing a 10X return from 2019.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:29:01 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2023, 04:43:21 PM »

sockeye and pink salmon returns have been shown to be negatively correlated:

"Our findings indicate the abundance of North Pacific pink salmon in the second year of sockeye life at sea is a key factor contributing to the decline of sockeye salmon productivity, including sockeye in the Fraser River where an increase from 200 to 400 million pink salmon is predicted to reduce sockeye recruitment by 39%. Additionally, length-at-age of Fraser River sockeye salmon declined with greater sockeye and pink salmon abundance, and age at maturity increased with greater pink salmon abundance. Our analyses provide evidence that interspecific competition for prey can affect growth, age, and survival of sockeye salmon at sea."

translation: higher sockeye returns are consistent with lower pink salmon returns

https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/10.1139/cjfas-2014-0134

sealteamdix

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2023, 07:46:42 PM »

Is there a hole in the chainlink at Furry Creek?/How can you get to the beach?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2023, 12:06:07 PM »

This is probably a typo.  Can't be that many pinks caught yesterday.

Area 12 - Blinkhorn Sockeye Seine   8/9/2023   1   6   6   5923   0   88365

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2023, 12:41:33 PM »

It’s not, heard about it last night from
A commercial fishermen
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12