Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023  (Read 34792 times)

VictorBai

Re: Furry Creek and Squamish Pinks 2023
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 09:40:03 PM »

I was fishing at Furry Creek this afternoon and didn't see any sight of fish.

Shocking to see someone limit out in the same spot on the same day.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »

Looks like my Crystal Meth pattern ;)

ok ... what is that pattern... we all want to know.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 09:42:27 PM »

not unusual - some parts are good only early in day. others
 will produce through the day but you have to put in the effort.

Good to hear they may be starting to show!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

VictorBai

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 10:07:50 PM »

not unusual - some parts are good only early in day. others
 will produce through the day but you have to put in the effort.

Good to hear they may be starting to show!

Exactly, even though I didn't catch anything, it's nice to know some else is doing good out there.

I have been telling people the pinks aren't back yet, based on my experience. Guess I have to take that back now, LOL.

Old Blue

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2023, 10:34:28 PM »

ok ... what is that pattern... we all want to know.

Something I came up with when working in the Charlottes in 2009/2010 that I passed on to Steve.  It worked great on SRC and bulls in the estuaries and up river.  I caught a few Sox with it too then in 2011 tried it on Pinks and was lights out.  Really any pink fly weighted right and presented in front of pinks should do the trick.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2023, 10:41:00 PM »

How do we know that those pinks were caught from Furry Creek or even this year ?

Old Blue

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2023, 10:42:42 PM »

How do we know that those pinks were caught from Furry Creek or even this year ?

Exactly.

I was just going through some of his photos and it's COMPLETE BS.  He has the same photo from 2022.
DICK MOVE STEVE PENG.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2023, 10:55:06 AM »

Something I came up with when working in the Charlottes in 2009/2010 that I passed on to Steve.  It worked great on SRC and bulls in the estuaries and up river.  I caught a few Sox with it too then in 2011 tried it on Pinks and was lights out.  Really any pink fly weighted right and presented in front of pinks should do the trick.

there is a crystal meth pattern developed for steelhead in Great Lakes tributaries, that has been published in a few magazines has a few videos on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/_7foF_o08bE

I usually weight my patterns with bead chain eyes - you can get them in various sizes. One i call the Pink Puke has the eyes, a pink plastic chenille body, pink marabou tail with a few kyrstal flash fibers. In a #10  it's done very well for me at Fury Creek as well as in the Squamish. Another on is just a clouser with a chartreuse  and pink wing and some flashabou.which I like in the river as the wing seems to stand out well in the cloudy water. I've had them take it just under the surface a number of times. 

Old Blue

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2023, 08:19:47 AM »

there is a crystal meth pattern developed for steelhead in Great Lakes tributaries, that has been published in a few magazines has a few videos on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/_7foF_o08bE

I usually weight my patterns with bead chain eyes - you can get them in various sizes. One i call the Pink Puke has the eyes, a pink plastic chenille body, pink marabou tail with a few kyrstal flash fibers. In a #10  it's done very well for me at Fury Creek as well as in the Squamish. Another on is just a clouser with a chartreuse  and pink wing and some flashabou.which I like in the river as the wing seems to stand out well in the cloudy water. I've had them take it just under the surface a number of times.
t

Not even close but thanks for the share.  Think more wooley bugger style with crystal flash and don't forget the Tungsten bead and maybe even a little lead wrap ;)

Pinks do love the clouser action, I used to tie a deadly one with polar bear that really popped in the water.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2023, 09:34:46 AM »

Like a lot of flies weighted with lead eyes or beads, Clouser's have a jigging action. I suspected your crystal meth fly was a take off on a wooly bugger, most are. 

Pink flies don't have to be weighted. I've often had trouble dragging the bottom with a weighted fly at Furry creek or on the beach near the oyster. Pinks will take a fly swung just under the surface at time. I got a kick out of doing this on the Squamish,with just ten feet of line off the rod tip. I could watch the fish rise up and take it. just like trout fishing or summer steelhead. I've caught them on poppers on the Vedder. They chase it across the river, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time, repeatedly snapping at it till one hooks up.

we all like to feel original but me I know most of my originals are take offs or adaptations on someone else's fly. I just have to add that little something that I hope will make it more effective. Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:01:23 PM by RalphH »

coastangler

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2023, 10:58:41 AM »

Pink flies don't have to be weighted. I've often had trouble dragging the bottom with a weighted fly at Furry creek or on the beach near the oyster. Pinks will take a fly swung just under the surface at time.

Ditto, in fact, the current crazy trend of sink tips (which are becoming an expensive collectible, on the benefit of fly shops) that makes people think they need to have 17 types of sink rate tips results in fly anglers snagging pinks left and right. 2 years ago you could see tons of fly anglers snagging pinks at the Squamish and most of the time that's because you are going too deep and swinging through their bellies and tails. Not only you will catch less fish but it will be way less fun.

People would be surprised how much you can achieve with a float line a weighted fly and a simple tapered leader. Need to go deeper? Cast slightly upstream or make a downstream mend, but don't get tricked into buying more sink tips because these are not needed!!
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Old Blue

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2023, 11:04:59 AM »

Like a lot of flies weighted with lead eyes or beads, Clouser's have a jigging action. I suspected your crystal meth fly was a take off on a wooly bugger, most are. 

Pink flies don't have to be weighted. I've often had trouble dragging the bottom with a weighted fly at Furry creek or on the beach near the oyster. Pinks will take a fly swung just under the surface at time. I got a kick out of doing this on the Squamish,with just ten feet of line off the rod tip. I could watch the fish rise up and take it. just like trout fishing or summer steelhead. I've caught them on poppers on the Vedder. They chase it across the river, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time, repeatedly snappy at it till one hooks up.

we all like to feel original but me I know most of my originals are take offs or adaptations on someone else's fly. I just have to add that little something that I hope will make it more effective. Cheers.

I generally only use a floater at Furry, also I have yet to see a somewhat similar fly at a shop or on the beach. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 12:06:29 PM »

are thinking of patenting your super secret pink killer like Jim Teeny did with his Teeny nymph?  :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2023, 12:14:09 PM »

Ditto, in fact, the current crazy trend of sink tips (which are becoming an expensive collectible, on the benefit of fly shops) that makes people think they need to have 17 types of sink rate tips results in fly anglers snagging pinks left and right. 2 years ago you could see tons of fly anglers snagging pinks at the Squamish and most of the time that's because you are going too deep and swinging through their bellies and tails. Not only you will catch less fish but it will be way less fun.

People would be surprised how much you can achieve with a float line a weighted fly and a simple tapered leader. Need to go deeper? Cast slightly upstream or make a downstream mend, but don't get tricked into buying more sink tips because these are not needed!!

Yes and good observation! Another problem i have seen is people using fast sinking lines hang up in the rocks  a lot spending too much time freeing their gear, retying leaders and tying on new flies. Often these people are with guides. Are they incompetent?

For rivers, my go to tip on leaders is a clear intermediate. I only go heavier when I feel I need to and then I quarter it downstream. Casting across or downstream makes snagging a fish or snagging bottom much more likely, wastes your time and  can ruin your day.

BTW I never said I used a sinking line or tip at Furry creek. 

Old Blue

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

are thinking of patenting your super secret pink killer like Jim Teeny did with his Teeny nymph?  :D

Hahahaha....nope.  I generally give away a bunch every year when I go if I'm around patient nice people who ask questions.