Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88429 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2023, 10:40:22 AM »

I think the minimum spawning numbers are 6 million.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2023, 11:00:36 AM »

Sounds the surge is not on Sep 05 but earlier.  I don't understand the 6 million target. Isn't the forecast 20 million fish?
I don't think the daily maximum number of fish passed mission has happened yet.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2023, 11:05:57 AM »

I don't think the daily maximum number of fish passed mission has happened yet.
it usually happens on the 7th to 14th right
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2023, 11:12:42 AM »

it usually happens on the 7th to 14th right
Right, have to fish everyday during this stretch to find out  ;D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2023, 11:23:17 AM »

Right, have to fish everyday during this stretch to find out  ;D
I'm not sure I can do it man I've already been out every day since the opening  ;D. Only three fish to show for it all.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #425 on: September 06, 2023, 02:38:26 PM »

Tomorrow's commercial opening isn't going to help the fishermen in the Lower Fraser.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #426 on: September 06, 2023, 03:12:36 PM »

Commercial total allowable catch of 7,636,300 Fraser Pink Salmon. Wow.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #427 on: September 06, 2023, 05:47:29 PM »

Commercial total allowable catch of 7,636,300 Fraser Pink Salmon. Wow.
This is ludicrous. Way to exploit the resource and make already wealthy people more wealthy, but now using OUR fish and the country's resource is being taken. This has been happening way too long. >:(

canucksfan233

« Reply #428 on: September 06, 2023, 05:57:20 PM »

pink salmon is selling at 6 cents a pound right now too...

coastangler

« Reply #429 on: September 06, 2023, 07:38:22 PM »

This is ludicrous. Way to exploit the resource and make already wealthy people more wealthy, but now using OUR fish and the country's resource is being taken. This has been happening way too long. >:(

I hear you brother. On the other hand, humans gotta eat. If the spawning goal of 6M is met, I don't see why the fish shouldn't be harvested. In the end fish is a much more sustainable protein than meats (especially red) and it's even better when it doesn't come from farmed fish or populations of concern (like this years pink salmon run looks like)

Now, as an angler, it does absolutely piss me off that the day I get to fish there are boats scooping up the fish but as you rightly put it earlier, pink fishing sometimes is just luck. You may get 8, 2 or 0 at a given spot depending on many different factors and probably the commercial fleet being out there is not that determinant as you and I found out yesterday when we went out for example.

Good news is that we can at least blame them now when we get skunked starting tomorrow  ;D
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #430 on: September 06, 2023, 07:48:45 PM »

I hear you brother. On the other hand, humans gotta eat. If the spawning goal of 6M is met, I don't see why the fish shouldn't be harvested. In the end fish is a much more sustainable protein than meats (especially red) and it's even better when it doesn't come from farmed fish or populations of concern (like this years pink salmon run looks like)

I agree but why do they deserve what I estimate might be 40% of the run. Why not let more fish spawn and maybe improve our future runs. Yes it seemed ocean conditions favored pink salmon ocean wide but still more fish spawning can only help the future runs and the environment.

I also don't see why we don't allow First Nations to harvest and sell when we have abundant runs. I am sure if they got HALF of what the corporations got to harvest it would improve their lives a lot and improve Canada's reconciliation efforts. I am aware they might not have as much industrial equiptment, freezers, vessels and stuff but if the government can subsidize our FN instead of big corporations. Then other stocks of concern will be saved because they got to profit off of a sustainable fishery. That can take more nets out of the river when IFS are migrating through.

Let me know if I got it wrong anyone, but this makes way more since to me than letting the Jim Pattison Group profit from our salmon. I don't oppose rich from getting richer, props to them for being smart and taking advantage of the system but I am absolutely NOT OK when they are profiting off of what should be a SHARED & PUBLIC resource. Plus how many of those Pink Salmon do you see end up rotting at superstore or save on foods it is a disgrace. Worst part is this system is almost impossible to change unless you were extremely well connected or wealthy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:51:35 PM by Darko »

coastangler

« Reply #431 on: September 06, 2023, 08:18:11 PM »

Valid points and not all have good answers/easy solutions. Not trying to justify but wanted to note is that food waste in our society is not limited to fish and a big percentage of every food we produce to sell in supermarkets or restaurants ends up being wasted which I agree is a disgrace. Also I doubt a lot of the pink salmon caught is sold "fresh" but instead canned (I sometimes buy those pink salmon cans myself) or frozen.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #432 on: September 06, 2023, 08:47:25 PM »

pink salmon is selling at 6 cents a pound right now too...

that was the landed cost earlier in the summer. It still has to be processed, transported to markets and everyone along that path wants to earn some profit.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #433 on: September 06, 2023, 08:51:32 PM »

Valid points and not all have good answers/easy solutions. Not trying to justify but wanted to note is that food waste in our society is not limited to fish and a big percentage of every food we produce to sell in supermarkets or restaurants ends up being wasted which I agree is a disgrace. Also I doubt a lot of the pink salmon caught is sold "fresh" but instead canned (I sometimes buy those pink salmon cans myself) or frozen.

When I used to work at the fish cannery, all pinks were canned.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #434 on: September 06, 2023, 09:30:00 PM »

rightly or not, pinks are generally regarded as the lowest quality of the Pacific salmon species though it's a close competition with chums for which is least desirable.

Darko re; some of your comments. Commercial salmon fishing is dying but it's a long slow painful death. The only answer to why it's done the way it is is because, it's always been done that way. The FNs do it much the same after DFO outlawed some of their own generally better approaches such as traps, weirs and fish wheels. Putting a huge number of fish on the spawning grounds isn't necessarily a straight line of benefits. Too many fish means some use less productive areas of a river or dig up the eggs of other fish. Too many means too many fry competing for food both in river and out in the ocean. Huge spawning escapements generally correlate with lower returns. OTOH more dead spawned out fish means more ocean nutrients transferred to inland streams which is good for that ecosystem.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024