Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88430 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2023, 10:20:19 PM »

rightly or not, pinks are generally regarded as the lowest quality of the Pacific salmon species though it's a close competition with chums for which is least desirable.

Putting a huge number of fish on the spawning grounds isn't necessarily a straight line of benefits. Too many fish means some use less productive areas of a river or dig up the eggs of other fish. Too many means too many fry competing for food both in river and out in the ocean. Huge spawning escapements generally correlate with lower returns.

https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library-bibliotheque/189621.pdf 
I found this interesting, we have had similar returns historically and escapement in the hundreds of thousands for a single tributary. 
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #436 on: September 07, 2023, 11:15:46 AM »

5 year old nephew caught his first salmon yesterday. was fun to witness. start em young.

lots of rollers not a lot of biters. end of 5 rd in richmond

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #437 on: September 07, 2023, 12:01:40 PM »

34 year old nephew caught his first salmon couple of days ago was fun to witness regardless of age.

Not a lot of rollers not a lot of biters Glen Valley.
It ain't the roe bro'

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2023, 12:30:38 PM »

Not much action nor surface activity in Surrey  New West. May  be Vedder is better bet.

funpig

« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2023, 01:12:04 PM »

Lots of rollers in Delta this morning with incoming tide. But not many bites. Saw only 3 caught the whole morning.  I have fished few hours everyday since Sept 1, before during or after high tide. Generally, I found it very slow. Today was the first time I saw any surface activity. I have only landed 2 of 3 fish hooked in 7 days of fishing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 01:16:02 PM by funpig »

coastangler

« Reply #440 on: September 07, 2023, 02:11:18 PM »

Same here and glad I'm not the only one. Wasted 2 hours of my morning at Delta today. Lots of rollers and jumpers but not a single bite even though I threw everything at them in all possible retrieve speeds but nothing. Had flashbacks from those days fishing the Cap with tons of fish around but no bites.

I know that what I do should work as it has worked for me in the past in the same spot, so I guess I got unlucky. I suspect the non tidal portion or the tributaries are going to be the way to go as others have posted, but will try a couple more times in the south arm in the next few days 🙏

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Phronesis

« Reply #441 on: September 07, 2023, 02:21:13 PM »

My dad goes everyday too, got his limit yesterday and called me today that he got 2 in one hour, I guess its all luck with pinks.....

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #442 on: September 07, 2023, 02:42:25 PM »

A few fish moving through the South Arm this morning. Saw 4 caught. Had 1 strike.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2023, 02:43:12 PM »

My Pink salmon fishing expedition:

Checked out places on both shores near home. Some were crowded

brownsville:

one on!

Landing:

Happy Angler:

Brownsville - rip rap

Surrey Fishing Pier

One in the net

Just took photos at those 2 locations. Too crowded. Fished the north side for 2 hours. Few showing. no luck

"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

1st lite

« Reply #444 on: September 07, 2023, 04:10:43 PM »

This morning before I fished the Fraser, decided to fish the West Van waterfront. Seems like the most of the Pinks are done in that area. Some people fishing this morning but way fewer anglers. When I say way fewer, I mean compared to the last 2 weeks, the people have disappeared and so have the bulk of the Pinks. Didn't really see anyone landing anything for the 2½ hours I spent trying to get a bite.
Took a break and went to a few spots on the Fraser. Few fish caught while I was out but during the last 2 hours of the incoming tide, started to see more activity. More fish seemed to be biting and looked like more people with fish on. Brownsville seemed to be the most active spot. A couple of the people there told me it's also really good at first light as a good amount of fish seem to hold there and a good bite early morning before it gets too bright out. Go out there and have some fun before the Pink fishery is over. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #445 on: September 07, 2023, 05:39:06 PM »

the pink season should last throughout the month & perhaps into next (I don't think the current openings allow for this) you just have to shift your focus.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Aurora

« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2023, 05:31:43 AM »

Yesterday evening fished Maple Ridge for couple hours.  Saw very few rise or jump but was able to land 3. 

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #447 on: September 08, 2023, 05:01:55 PM »

Landed 1 on first cast and nothing after that for everyone. Apparently 450k pinks went past Mission and another 500k caught in river in today's report.

Fish were not showing themselves. Either not biting or fewer fish.

Colersmom

« Reply #448 on: September 08, 2023, 05:11:51 PM »

has anyone fished the stave yet?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #449 on: September 08, 2023, 05:42:47 PM »

Landed 1 on first cast and nothing after that for everyone. Apparently 450k pinks went past Mission and another 500k caught in river in today's report.

Fish were not showing themselves. Either not biting or fewer fish.

Per the Catch to Date Report issued today.

The total commercial fisheries (Canada & US) catch including  in the ocean is less than 500k. Test fisheries took less than 12k. FNs took well under 6. The total Fraser Pink salmon taken is 503k taken passage past Mission was 4.6 million as of yesterday so total accounted for is 5.1 million

the same report available in the PSC Panel package for Sept 8th says the current available TAC is about 13.5million. At the rate the commercial sector is harvesting pinks there will be a huge mass of pinks entering the Fraser in the next few weeks.
So if the forecast of 20 million is correct - we should expect another 15 million (more or less) still to come.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:18:21 AM by RalphH »