Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88549 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »

Soft Beads have been around for many decades and used lots in BC. At least since the 1960's.
They are called Jensen Eggs. lol

Jensen eggs are a bit different from the honking golf ball sized beads we use today.  We never pegged Jensen eggs above the hook like we do with beads like the BNR’s etc..  I’ve fished my fair share of Jensens with a small tuft of wool for steelies but rarely did I use them for salmon.  These new beads have for some taken over from roe use.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2023, 10:30:40 AM »

Are the BNR soft beads scented? Can they be used where there is a bait ban? Does anyone know?
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Phronesis

« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2023, 11:05:54 AM »

Are the BNR soft beads scented? Can they be used where there is a bait ban? Does anyone know?

They have a smell of chemical but not scented particularly as "roe" or "shrimp".....i have seen people dipping them over night in roe juice......and definitely can be used in areas with bait ban, its fully artificial.....they will definitely work where there is a flow and not in slack water

redside1

« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2023, 12:38:03 PM »

unscented, used all over

redside1

« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2023, 12:43:20 PM »

Jensen eggs are a bit different from the honking golf ball sized beads we use today.  We never pegged Jensen eggs above the hook like we do with beads like the BNR’s etc..  I’ve fished my fair share of Jensens with a small tuft of wool for steelies but rarely did I use them for salmon.  These new beads have for some taken over from roe use.

I always put a Jensen egg above my hook right from the first time i used them, maybe that was just me and the guys I fish with.
There were 3 sizes and the "Fat Freddies" where pretty big, can't remember if the were a 16mm or 20mm size or not but once you wanted something that big you just switched to a Gooey Bob in one of 3 sizes. Yes they only came in 5-6 colours which is the biggest difference. Agree on the take over from roe use for sure.

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2023, 01:49:22 PM »

For those looking for Tasmanian Devils High Water in North Van has them.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #561 on: September 14, 2023, 01:59:45 PM »

Is it time to start worrying about the Vedder Pinks? I haven't seen much compared to prior years. Hopefully they are all hiding in the day time and migrating through at night and not wiped out by the big floods of 2021.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 02:01:57 PM by fic »

243Pete

« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2023, 11:11:29 AM »

the Can-Tire on Cambie is going totally against Corp policy carrying these lures that's why other stores don't have them.
Local distribution received an order yesterday and sold out of the "pink" colours within hours. They still have other Coho catching colours in both 7gr & 14gr in stock.
How? you got proof of this cause most Can-Tires carry different items per store, everything needs to be run by management and needs approval. If it was "Against policy" they have almost several months to do something about it.
Different stores, different management, and ect ect. "That's why other stores don't have them."

Many places have tried to sell Tassie's? 2013 these things have been used around here, I have never seen any shop or anyone carry them, only that one dude at Furry Creek who sold them, I have only seen one shop carry a small number of them in the past.
Either they never tried to make the effort or are scared of change/ something new, "IF" what you say is true then what stores carried them in the past? cause most shops I know have never carried them until this year.

redside1

« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2023, 02:36:12 PM »

How? you got proof of this cause most Can-Tires carry different items per store, everything needs to be run by management and needs approval. If it was "Against policy" they have almost several months to do something about it.
Different stores, different management, and ect ect. "That's why other stores don't have them."

Many places have tried to sell Tassie's? 2013 these things have been used around here, I have never seen any shop or anyone carry them, only that one dude at Furry Creek who sold them, I have only seen one shop carry a small number of them in the past.
Either they never tried to make the effort or are scared of change/ something new, "IF" what you say is true then what stores carried them in the past? cause most shops I know have never carried them until this year.

1) yup, I got proof. Putting it online here,? Not a chance. But Can-Tires have a set list of items called Equity, a second list called Pro-shop and finally a third list called FMA. That is how individual stores get different looks.

2) A company called Redl Sports tried to sell them to stores in the late 1980's to dealers with very kittle success then a company called Breck's had the Canadian rights for Wigston Tasmanian Devils in the 1990's and gave it a go. Gave it up due to lack of sales. Now a company called Pradco has the north American rights to Wigston Tasmanian Devils. They have been available in the market place for many years and until now most dealers haven't purchased.
of course you remember Tad's or Bob's Or West Coast Tackle or 3 Vet's or Patch's or Gill's or Jaymers, or Riverside, Castaway, Perfection, Gord's Tackle box, Rumble's, Greenwood's, Skip's, Wanstall's when they had tackle, Outdoors Unlimited, need I go on. Been lots of shops and stores over the years that have tried a pile of tackle that never caught on.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2023, 04:05:28 PM »

1) yup, I got proof. Putting it online here,? Not a chance. But Can-Tires have a set list of items called Equity, a second list called Pro-shop and finally a third list called FMA. That is how individual stores get different looks.

2) A company called Redl Sports tried to sell them to stores in the late 1980's to dealers with very kittle success then a company called Breck's had the Canadian rights for Wigston Tasmanian Devils in the 1990's and gave it a go. Gave it up due to lack of sales. Now a company called Pradco has the north American rights to Wigston Tasmanian Devils. They have been available in the market place for many years and until now most dealers haven't purchased.
of course you remember Tad's or Bob's Or West Coast Tackle or 3 Vet's or Patch's or Gill's or Jaymers, or Riverside, Castaway, Perfection, Gord's Tackle box, Rumble's, Greenwood's, Skip's, Wanstall's when they had tackle, Outdoors Unlimited, need I go on. Been lots of shops and stores over the years that have tried a pile of tackle that never caught on.

You can write a book of tackle history in BC. The lure is in good demand. it is time for someone to bring less expensive products.

geomorphin

« Reply #565 on: September 15, 2023, 04:15:22 PM »

People seem a bit more into new tackle options now than back in the old days. So that might explain why they didn’t catch on in the 80s and 90s. Heck look how long it took for twitching jigs to catch on here just in the 2000s. Some of the old fellas still see this as a new tackle option.

It’s nice having more, different options now than even ten years ago. Brands and options like BnR, Prime Lures, Wingston and twitching jigs offer a whole different set of toys to play around with. Without the new tackle we’d all still only be tossing crocs, blue foxes and Jensen eggs. In many local systems, a coho could see dozens of blue foxes zoom past them in a matter of hours, so it’s fun to have different stuff. I get that it is exhausting hearing about taz devils right now all the time, but I look forward to the next craze (even if it has been in the market for 40 years). I hope more shops, companies and anglers continue to try and promote more “new” things.

How’s everyone’s Fraser pinks going?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #566 on: September 15, 2023, 05:15:20 PM »

Seems like there is a new "secret" lure every year. Remember the gold and fluorescent red flatfish ? That was the "must have" lure for the Capilano cohos years ago. Army and Navy and Woodwards were all sold out of those flatfish when word got out.

Phronesis

« Reply #567 on: September 15, 2023, 05:51:25 PM »

Seems like there is a new "secret" lure every year. Remember the gold and fluorescent red flatfish ? That was the "must have" lure for the Capilano cohos years ago. Army and Navy and Woodwards were all sold out of those flatfish when word got out.

Now im interested in that lure and try it out in Capilano :-D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #568 on: September 15, 2023, 07:59:01 PM »

I'm waiting for pink and white wool to make a comeback  :)

Colersmom

« Reply #569 on: September 15, 2023, 09:06:22 PM »

Is it a good idea to even fish the vedder?