Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88365 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2023, 03:43:39 PM »

Regional Director General cancelled the rec pink opening last weekend.  Local DFO staff pushed hard, stayed late and have now been completely shut of decision making.

Said they have not been authorised to talk about a future opening. PERIOD
sounds like somebody is getting paid and we are all "paying"
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Phronesis

« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2023, 03:47:08 PM »

I still dont get it.....what would first nations achieve by the delay? If its about money, How does this closure get them more money ?.....

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #242 on: August 30, 2023, 03:49:03 PM »

I still dont get it.....what would first nations achieve by the delay? If its about money, How does this closure get them more money ?.....

They had concerns over having overlapping fisheries below mission. Regional director General made the decision. 

100% polotical now, Local Resource managers have been shut out of the decision making.

Period

This is what reconciliation looks like
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 03:51:07 PM by wildmanyeah »

redside1

« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2023, 03:51:16 PM »

no eyes to watch what they do, no one getting in the way while they fish and maybe a bit of a power play to show all how is in charge now. Only the regional director knows for sure and those above them.
Just keep thinking reconciliation.
you should see the proposed hunting changes coming to region 6 & 7. All of them are about making it easier for First Nations to harvest animals. Even to the point of proposed closed areas only open to First Nations harvest of moose. 

someone

« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »

Long time lurker here, I felt really bad last year about not having proper salmon stamp ....don't feel that bad anymore looking at how corrupt DFO is....I don't know about you guys but I am taking my son out for some pink salmon fishing in Fraser before he starts his university even if it's open or closed ....call dfo if you want to report me ;-)

Phronesis

« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »

Man that sucks....is there anyway us rec anglers can escalate this? Bombard them with emails/phone them?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »

Man that sucks....is there anyway us rec anglers can escalate this? Bombard them with emails/phone them?

its basically polotical so email the liberals, PMO office

Phronesis

« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2023, 04:09:03 PM »

its basically polotical so email the liberals, PMO office

I sure will but i know for a fact that will fall into deaf ears...going to keep at it

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2023, 04:13:08 PM »

How does targeting pinks in the Vedder affect them netting all the fish in the Fraser?

sockeyed

« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »

turned into a complete joke!

Roderick

« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2023, 04:25:38 PM »

There are still sockeye in the river, and it's about the nets catching sockeye when the FN cant.  The rec fishery is just collateral damage. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2023, 04:29:43 PM »

Who’s netting sockeye in the river then if FN can’t ?

redside1

« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2023, 04:31:44 PM »

Long time lurker here, I felt really bad last year about not having proper salmon stamp ....don't feel that bad anymore looking at how corrupt DFO is....I don't know about you guys but I am taking my son out for some pink salmon fishing in Fraser before he starts his university even if it's open or closed ....call dfo if you want to report me ;-)

Don't blame you at all. It's moves like DFO is doing right now that breeds poaching when society becomes two tiered like this.
It's not like there is a shortage of fish. 20 million should be enough for all to get some. But when one group tells a government office to keep the other group away and the government does so its really bad news. Exclusive rights were not granted under the constitution .

Best sports fishermen can hope for is a Tuesday next week opening. A 13 day season will be it. good luck to those that make it out.

Phronesis

« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2023, 04:33:59 PM »

There are still sockeye in the river, and it's about the nets catching sockeye when the FN cant.  The rec fishery is just collateral damage.

Thats like a jealous sibling who dont want to let you eat the cake if they cant have it ......

Roderick

« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »

As I said before, in the eyes of DFO, the rec fishery is tied to the commercial fishery, a policy that I think needs changing.  Even though the rec sockeye bycatch is zero in the tidal, the commercial sockeye bycatch is considerable.  The FN have been throwing back sockeye, and ya if they cant have it no one can.  The SCOC saw to that.
You shoulda been here yesterday.