Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88371 times)

Jelly_

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2023, 08:02:11 PM »

Keep guessing,  Your gonna get it right sooner or later....
Just say no one knows... till it is announced...

Ain’t no way pinks aren’t open yet 💀😭. I thought it would be open by now

Wade

« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2023, 08:31:11 PM »

There is hope that a notice will go out Friday for a Saturday or Tuesday opening

But that’s all it is at this point

No one takes this Friday off for pink salmon fishing…if that’s their purpose of the delayed opening

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2023, 08:57:24 PM »

They have not opened it because First Nations asked them to keep it close

No need for speculation

Roeman is right no one knows, between dfo politicians and First Nations. What ever they decide

It’s not science or abundance based or anything to do with stocks of concern.

It’s political between fisheries minister  and First Nations

That’s what the management of rec pink fisheries has become now

So don’t bother asking anyone at DFO 

Ken malloway has more sway of when things open the DFO resource

Managers.

Maybe ask him on Facebook
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:01:38 PM by wildmanyeah »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »

I guess Vedder will have fish in by now. Pink and chinook should have migrate gradually in

roeman

« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2023, 05:35:09 AM »

I guess Vedder will have fish in by now. Pink and chinook should have migrate gradually in
Vedder opens tomorrow for coho...  Pinks Pinks and more Pinks by the tail, back and butt.... So fun.....
Are you fishin or catchin

stsfisher

« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »

Pinks? People they are pinks? What have the majority of fishers become that we find loop holes and make excuses to justify fishing for pinks............
Very disgusted spot reading this thread. 😒
Oh and also very disgusted at finding a sockeye head and male organs on the banks of the Vedder yesterday, I suppose some would justify it as being alright too 🙄

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2023, 08:07:19 AM »

Even though it's a sarcasm, I don't see a problem robbing from corrupt people. Laws change over time, a law doesn't mean it is THE right law, take for example slavery and laws against FN over the history of Canada, I will go against such corrupt laws and govt (in this case DFO) and teach my kid the same. Your path is different than mine.

corrupt as an adjective (ie to describe a person or people) means a willingness to act dishonestly. That describes what you propose doing to a T...and yeah you can say those who illegally sell sockeye are corrupt too, But that doesn't change the nature of what you propose... that people should act corruptly in response.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2023, 08:48:24 AM »

Pinks? People they are pinks? What have the majority of fishers become that we find loop holes and make excuses to justify fishing for pinks............
So we should be fighting only for coho and steelhead? What about the lost tidal Fraser Coho fishery, when has that been opening lately, November? We made a discussion forum about it and nobody posted a single catch. The pink fishery obviously will happen, it happened last season when only 6-9 were predicted. But all the facts around the matter of an opening and these circumstances of current run size should allow us to have a longer season even if Fraser survival is not as good as previously. We could barely make a dent in the pink run if it was open for 5 weeks.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

stsfisher

« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2023, 10:18:33 AM »

So we should be fighting only for coho and steelhead? What about the lost tidal Fraser Coho fishery, when has that been opening lately, November? We made a discussion forum about it and nobody posted a single catch. The pink fishery obviously will happen, it happened last season when only 6-9 were predicted. But all the facts around the matter of an opening and these circumstances of current run size should allow us to have a longer season even if Fraser survival is not as good as previously. We could barely make a dent in the pink run if it was open for 5 weeks.
Fighting for? You must mean advocating for, much different. Finding ways to justify openings when clearly the fish numbers and water levels in the chilliwack system do not indicate a reason to open pinks only shows the me first mentality on our rivers lately.
I'm all for fighting for access if warranted, but would never get so bend out of shape over pinks well before we see justified numbers.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »

Fighting for? You must mean advocating for, much different. Finding ways to justify openings when clearly the fish numbers and water levels in the chilliwack system do not indicate a reason to open pinks only shows the me first mentality on our rivers lately.
I'm all for fighting for access if warranted, but would never get so bend out of shape over pinks well before we see justified numbers.
yes I use "fighting for" and "advocating for" interchangeably, I am specifically talking about the tidal fraser opening and I think we can all agree the numbers justify an opening.

stsfisher

« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2023, 10:29:01 AM »

189 pinks in the wonnock and cottonwood test fishery yesterday, combined. Not really the numbers that dictate a recreational opening in my opinion.
Looks more like the numbers we would normally see this time of the year for chinooks that used to warrant a fishery.

Phronesis

« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2023, 10:44:16 AM »

189 pinks in the wonnock and cottonwood test fishery yesterday, combined. Not really the numbers that dictate a recreational opening in my opinion.
Looks more like the numbers we would normally see this time of the year for chinooks that used to warrant a fishery.

Mission hydroacoustics show a healthy number, for some of us rec anglers we just ask for an opportunity when the numbers are sufficient, some like to C&R, some harvest, some just like to go out and wet the line.....but when we get denied for unfair reasons then thats a problem....i dont know much about the politics between FN and DFO so wont comment on it....but numbers are high enough to open the fraser for pinks and it is delayed which is unfair to license holders

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2023, 10:51:55 AM »

As I said earlier in this discussion, the tidal Fraser Pink salmon fishery is short and usually lasts no more than a week to 10 days starting some time late in the first week of the month or in the second week. Over the years I have seen many anglers fooled by the hype, fish the river in late August or around Labor Day and get skunked. I remember one early Sept day when my wife and I went to Fort Langley and then drove east on river road past Glen Valley to Duncan bar, just for the drive. There were some people fishing there and a pair of Fisheries Officers. I asked them how the fishing was and while they had been to a number of bars that day they'd looked at one fish and heard of a few others. The back of their vehicle was packed with confiscated fishing tackle though,so they'd made a good haul. I talked to a few anglers on the bar and they told the same story as the FOs. Little sign of fish and very few hooked, let alone landed.

If you can't fish, at least it's likely you are not missing much.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

stsfisher

« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2023, 11:28:16 AM »

Mission hydroacoustics show a healthy number, for some of us rec anglers we just ask for an opportunity when the numbers are sufficient, some like to C&R, some harvest, some just like to go out and wet the line.....but when we get denied for unfair reasons then thats a problem....i dont know much about the politics between FN and DFO so wont comment on it....but numbers are high enough to open the fraser for pinks and it is delayed which is unfair to license holders
I've been around long enough to understand the politics and certainly understand what healthy numbers look like but yes please keep fighting for the me people I will continue to advocate for the fish first, especially when we can all agree DFO has a hard time figuring the fish part out 😉

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2023, 11:33:21 AM »

As I said earlier in this discussion, the tidal Fraser Pink salmon fishery is short and usually lasts no more than a week to 10 days starting some time late in the first week of the month or in the second week. Over the years I have seen many anglers fooled by the hype, fish the river in late August or around Labor Day and get skunked. I remember one early Sept day when my wife and I went to Fort Langley and then drove east on river road past Glen Valley to Duncan bar, just for the drive. There were some people fishing there and a pair of Fisheries Officers. I asked them how the fishing was and while they had been to a number of bars that day they'd looked at one fish and heard of a few others. The back of their vehicle was packed with confiscated fishing tackle though, so they'd made a good haul. I talked to a few anglers on the bar and they told the same story as the FOs. Little sign of fish and very few hooked, let alone landed.

If you can't fish, at least it's likely you are not missing much.
half a million fish passed mission last two days, we are certainly missing out a lot...