Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88375 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »

What Ralph and STS said. In my past 13 pink salmon season in the Tidal Fraser River since 1995, the first big surge of fish has always happened around September 5th and lasted about ten days. Prior to that surge, fish could be caught, but very few. It's unfortunate that opportunities have not been given yet this season, but realistically not much have been missed yet.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2023, 11:40:45 AM »

Why has nobody mentioned that right now all students are on break. If they open the fishery Sept 3 like they did before that is 2 days before almost every school be it elementary, high school and college re-open for classes. Of course, the fishery managers that are disconnected from us folk don't seem to care. No I don't know any of them but that's my conclusion from what I see. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:44:15 AM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2023, 11:45:11 AM »

Mission Hydroacoustics
Daily passage record for Wednesday August 30, 2023:

Sockeye   Pink
20,600   300,200

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2023, 11:53:21 AM »

Mission Hydroacoustics
Daily passage record for Wednesday August 30, 2023:

Sockeye   Pink
20,600   300,200
Great to see the numbers going up and all those fish making it to the promise land.  Catches in area 20 is declining though.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »

Why has nobody mentioned that right now all students are on break. If they open the fishery Sept 3 like they did before that is 2 days before almost every school be it elementary, high school and college re-open for classes. Of course, the fishery managers that are disconnected from us folk don't seem to care. No I don't know any of them but that's my conclusion from what I see.

It has been mention in meeting and said, after the long weekend people go back to their lives, work and school.

Its not about what the rec fishery wants, how many fish are in the river or anything science based.

Its what first nations will allow, They wanted last week and this week for chinook netting and don't want any conflicting fisheries happening.

Don't get frustrated at local dfo staff and managers, they put forth a proposal, science based, for a rec fishery below mission. It was approved, and at last minute, denied by Director General and the fisheries minister after a letter was written to them from First nations asking it be delayed till after the long weekend. 

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »

It has been mention in meeting and said, after the long weekend people go back to their lives, work and school.

Its not about what the rec fishery wants, how many fish are in the river or anything science based.

Its what first nations will allow, They wanted last week and this week for chinook netting and don't want any conflicting fisheries happening.

Don't get frustrated at local dfo staff and managers, they put forth a proposal, science based, for a rec fishery below mission. It was approved, and at last minute, denied by Director General and the fisheries minister after a letter was written to them from First nations asking it be delayed till after the long weekend.
which chinook are they netting? The harrison run which is supposed to be around 110,000 fish this year?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2023, 12:24:05 PM »

which chinook are they netting? The harrison run which is supposed to be around 110,000 fish this year?

Summer 5-2, summer 4-1s,

They don’t want stinky Harrison fish(fall 4-1) there may be some in river but that’s not the target

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2023, 12:26:15 PM »

Summer 5-2, summer 4-1s,

They don’t want stinky Harrison fish(fall 4-1) there may be some in river but that’s not the target
these are upper Fraser Red Chinooks?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2023, 12:54:08 PM »

Right  now they are mainly summer 4-1 Shuswap fish and are abundant

In the past the river would be open for bar fishing at these numbers

stsfisher

« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2023, 01:21:10 PM »

Lol, maybe ask the minister of education to better align the school year with the pinks. Better yet ask them to make a decision that bests suits the late or early arrival year to year........

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2023, 01:33:17 PM »

saying the proposal to open it last weekend was "science based" is meaningless. That's become a slogan. I am sure you can't quote any independent peer reviewed science publication to back it up. It was proposed because that was what rec angler wanted.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2023, 01:44:50 PM »

Lol, maybe ask the minister of education to better align the school year with the pinks. Better yet ask them to make a decision that bests suits the late or early arrival year to year........
on it, actually I will get them to delay school until November  ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2023, 02:10:37 PM »

but yes please keep fighting for the me people I will continue to advocate for the fish first

You're a charter guy aren't you?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2023, 02:19:12 PM »

saying the proposal to open it last weekend was "science based" is meaningless. That's become a slogan. I am sure you can't quote any independent peer reviewed science publication to back it up. It was proposed because that was what rec angler wanted.

your off the mark on this on Ralph, what rec actually asked for is a week before that and it was declined, DFO said to wait for a higher ratio of pinks and local staff met, resource managers etc and declined it, last weekend met all the boxes and was approved.

Higher ratio of pink to sockeye, check, little to no intercept of stocks of concern check, was approved at reviewed by resource managers to a high level.

in the end politics got in the way

and it was not done by anglers, it was done by an internal DFO team that meets

This was outside of the SFAB/SFAC process

this internal team has again met and put together another proposal with dates.

will see what happens

Your just annoyed because DFO has came out and said that this is 100% delayed by first nations and that its a polotical decision. Some people within the department are very upset that this is not the way in season fisheries should be managed and basically an order went out saying to back off.

it is what it is saying we now need an independent peer reviewed paper in order to have a rec fishery. Is that not what the resource managers in dfo are for, to make those informed decisions.

I would say more but those in the department have already been warned that they could be reprimanded if they push this more.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »

FYI

Pink fisheries were just approved and announcements/fisheries notices to be posted shortly.