Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88512 times)

coastangler

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #450 on: September 08, 2023, 06:52:12 PM »

has anyone fished the stave yet?

I'm pretty sure that the Stave does not have a pink salmon run. I know the fisheries notice for Pinks includes C/V, Harrison and Stave so unless the Inch Creek Hatchery are introducing Pinks in the Stave, I don't think there is a run or I never heard of one.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #451 on: September 08, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the Stave does not have a pink salmon run. I know the fisheries notice for Pinks includes C/V, Harrison and Stave so unless the Inch Creek Hatchery are introducing Pinks in the Stave, I don't think there is a run or I never heard of one.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/stave_river.html

quote from above

" In odd years, pink salmon also return to the Stave River, but its return number is significantly lower than other Lower Fraser tributaries."

For pink fishing I would first recommend the tidal Fraser, then Vedder.

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #452 on: September 09, 2023, 07:50:11 AM »

I've seen spawned out pinks in the Stave but the numbers were a small fraction of typical chum returns. What may be going here is that pinks moving up the Fraser will enter the lower section of the Stave before proceeding farther upriver. They follow the same route they took as migratory fry which could drift in on a rising tide. Similar thing happens on the Harrison. Pinks bound up the Fraser move into the lower section well below the CPR bridge and mill about for a time before proceeding upstream.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #453 on: September 09, 2023, 08:46:23 AM »

I fished the Mission Bar at Matsqui Trail Regional Park. The bar takes it's name from the Mission railway bridge which predates the creation of the park. This is a beautiful bar with room for a huge number of anglers (but not the parking which is a bit more limited). The bar has a gentle slope, not too muddy, not a lot of snags excepting the north end and a good current. The trees along the bank add shade which yesterday lasted until 11am It also helps the fishing!. It's a superb option for people in the GVRD and not too far to travel - just an hour for me from Burnaby/New West. Fishing was decent . I hooked 3 and landed 2. Most people close to me at least hooked a fish and several took one or more home.

After that  checked out the bottom end of the Vedder from the cottonwoods to the Canal, It is grim. Water is very low. There is a shallow riffled downstream of the Vedder/Sumas confluence. I saw very few fish & very little holding water. Still the flossing/snagging social clubs have set up their angler picket fences. sights like these make me think we need pay per day access structure on some of our overwhelmingly popular streams. Wished I had stayed at the Mission Bar.

"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

coastangler

« Reply #454 on: September 09, 2023, 10:30:34 AM »

Thanks for the report Ralph and good looking fish!
Sir Edmund Hillary

dobrolub

« Reply #455 on: September 09, 2023, 10:45:57 AM »

Still the flossing/snagging social clubs have set up their angler picket fences. sights like these make me think we need pay per day access structure on some of our overwhelmingly popular streams.

I would welcome that change.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #456 on: September 09, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »

"we need pay per day access structure on some of our overwhelmingly popular streams."

Good luck with that....

At least it's an idea.....

However, just like everything else that has fuelled inflation/capitalism, there are those (majority being offshore immigrants??? IMHO) that will pay "ANYTHING FOR EVERYTHING" cuz they are multi-millionaires after they get here....adding to and perpetuating the endless rocketing, astronomically rising prices and rampant inflationary costs.....it'll just be the "old boy's club", exclusive to a specific segment "country club atmosphere" now in full effect at ANY of your local golf courses and/or real estate sectors, for example.....they even somehow hack the online booking systems making it virtually impossible for most pioneering residents to even have a remote sniff at even getting on the courses they grew up on...not fiction.

I've already stated this on another forum....and I've witnessed it over the many decades in this out of control inflated Vancouver Metro....unfortunately I believe it will only get worse from here

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #457 on: September 09, 2023, 01:04:29 PM »

Keep the the Fraser open and close the Vedder until and if we get much needed rain to increase water levels.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 01:06:48 PM by Wiseguy »

SuperBobby

« Reply #458 on: September 09, 2023, 01:13:37 PM »

sights like these make me think we need pay per day access structure on some of our overwhelmingly popular streams.

Where is the face palm emoji?
Just when I think you have come to the place where you cannot hate the sporties any worse than you do....you go and raise the bar again.
You are unbelievable.....and not in a good way.

roeman

« Reply #459 on: September 09, 2023, 01:31:05 PM »

However, just like everything else that has fuelled inflation/capitalism, there are those (majority being offshore immigrants??? IMHO) that will pay "ANYTHING FOR EVERYTHING"

Exactly what has caused over populated fishing areas, and everything else, campsites, beaches, vehicles cost,  you name it and this is the main contributing factor.  500,000 a year coming.... What a brilliant plan....
Are you fishin or catchin

coastangler

« Reply #460 on: September 09, 2023, 01:48:32 PM »

"offshore immigrants", "pioneering residents".... wow this post really took a turn. We are basically the cause of all your problems.

Vancouver area is one of the most desirable places to live on earth - just get over it. Everybody here except for the FNs are immigrants, one way or another. The fact that your ancestors came here earlier doesn't give you any special rights. Have you ever heard the term All humans are equal in front of god? I'm not religious but it's damn true

Ralph touched the issue of overcrowding on certain streams which is very real, and if there is nothing done to fix it, then some fisheries will ruined for everybody. For one you all should learn something from the Fraser Pink fishery and that is that even though is overcrowded, everyone is having fun and respecting each other. Maybe what's ruining it are you attitudes
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 01:50:17 PM by coastangler »
Sir Edmund Hillary

roeman

« Reply #461 on: September 09, 2023, 01:55:44 PM »

Everybody here except for the FNs are immigrants, one way or another.

I know that.  But at some point its time to close the door....
Happy pink fishing.

Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #462 on: September 09, 2023, 02:29:22 PM »

LOL. I kind of expected some reaction to my off the cuff emotionally driven remark. I just looked at a dozen or more anglers virtually shoulder to shoulder in 40 foot linear space repeatedly casting for an entire day at some small number of pink salmon that won't move in high light low water conditions and wondered could there be a better way? Particularly for the fish! I have no expectation of such a system being instituted in the future though if angling is ever outlawed altogether those survivors who fished up to that point may have similar wistful thoughts as I shared.

I don't hate sport fishers, far from it. However I have come across some both in person and on line that I dislike. That's only natural in human affairs. I do have a healthy respect for the moderately or better reasoned opinions of others even though I may disagree. Those who embark upon the rage-a-thon I do my best to ignore.

BTW there are limited entry fisheries (at least one) in BC and this is more common in Hunting. The fees are fixed and entry is awarded by lottery via a limited entry draw. No favors for billionaires there.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #463 on: September 09, 2023, 02:35:16 PM »

LOL. I kind of expected some reaction to my off the cuff emotionally driven remark. I just looked at a dozen or more anglers virtually shoulder to shoulder in 40 foot linear space repeatedly casting for an entire day at some small number of pink salmon that won't move in high light low water conditions and wondered could there be a better way? Particularly for the fish! I have no expectation of such a system being instituted in the future though if angling is ever outlawed altogether those survivors who fished up to that point may have similar wistful thoughts as I shared.

I don't hate sport fishers, far from it. However I have come across some both in person and on line that I dislike. That's only natural in human affairs. I do have a healthy respect for the moderately or better reasoned opinions of others even though I may disagree. Those who embark upon the rage-a-thon I do my best to ignore.

BTW there are limited entry fisheries (at least one) in BC and this is more common in Hunting. The fees are fixed and entry is awarded by lottery via a limited entry draw. No favors for billionaires there.

that Limited entry fishery is only for out of province fishers (Dean River). I agree we should have Limited Entry fishing opportunities. But we don't have a tenth of the staff needed to patrol that.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #464 on: September 09, 2023, 03:31:44 PM »

that Limited entry fishery is only for out of province fishers (Dean River). I agree we should have Limited Entry fishing opportunities. But we don't have a tenth of the staff needed to patrol that.

non resident aliens meaning people who are not residents of Canada. New Brunswick and Newfoundland restrict entry for salmon fishing to residents of those Provinces. Non residents are required to hire a guide.