Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88522 times)

SuperBobby

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #465 on: September 09, 2023, 04:34:12 PM »

I agree we should have Limited Entry fishing opportunities.
Trust me. You don't want to go down this road.
Do some research on who gets to fish and who doesn't get to fish the premium streams in some countries in Europe....and you'll never suggest this again.

SuperBobby

« Reply #466 on: September 09, 2023, 04:37:38 PM »

I know that.  But at some point its time to close the door....
Happy pink fishing.

Agreed.

Bring in 500k a year, but only build enough new housing for 200k a year.
It's just math....something our useless braindead PM failed miserably....but it's kind of sad watching him scratch his head grasping to find an answer when the opposition asks him to explain why housing costs are so high.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #467 on: September 09, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »

The reason Ralph is in the top percentile of fishermen is not his ability to catch....it's because of the burlap. Hats off Ralph, I thought I was the only one. I'll recognize you now when I see someone else using them on the river. I got mine from a coffee shop in east van about 25 years ago. Best fishing accessory ever. Just for old timers.

SuperBobby

« Reply #468 on: September 09, 2023, 06:56:23 PM »

Best fishing accessory ever. Just for old timers.

Agreed. People always ask me if I will sell my extra one to them when I'm on the river. Good burlap sacs are hard to find these days.

redside1

« Reply #469 on: September 09, 2023, 07:47:45 PM »

that Limited entry fishery is only for out of province fishers (Dean River). I agree we should have Limited Entry fishing opportunities. But we don't have a tenth of the staff needed to patrol that.

we have had them before on the Capilano for summer run coho. the number of anglers allowed to fish from the fitt bridge t o the end of the cable pool and them from the end of the Cable pool to the bridge below the Dog's leg. This was back in the late 1970's.
Work so well it was never brought back.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #470 on: September 09, 2023, 10:51:42 PM »

we have had them before on the Capilano for summer run coho. the number of anglers allowed to fish from the fitt bridge t o the end of the cable pool and them from the end of the Cable pool to the bridge below the Dog's leg. This was back in the late 1970's.
Work so well it was never brought back.

oh I did not know that. Was it just that nobody followed the rules?
author=SuperBobby link=topic=45037.msg426755#msg426755 date=1694302452]
Do some research on who gets to fish and who doesn't get to fish the premium streams in some countries in Europe....and you'll never suggest this again.

yea I have heard of some streams in Scotland or something like that where you can only fish 2 weeks a year and only like 20 people or something get to fish it. Doesn't mean we couldn't do a better job here. Limited entry hunting has been pretty successful.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 10:54:28 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roseph

« Reply #471 on: September 10, 2023, 07:18:34 AM »

Agreed.

Bring in 500k a year, but only build enough new housing for 200k a year.
It's just math....something our useless braindead PM failed miserably....but it's kind of sad watching him scratch his head grasping to find an answer when the opposition asks him to explain why housing costs are so high.

Well I know our pm went to McGill, and did well in math?  Did you take university math?  Calculus perhaps at a school that’s consistently rated internationally in the top 50? 

I just love hearing from all the geniuses calling the pm dumb then writing sentences connected with ….

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #472 on: September 10, 2023, 07:25:53 AM »

author=SuperBobby link=topic=45037.msg426755#msg426755 date=1694302452]
Do some research on who gets to fish and who doesn't get to fish the premium streams in some countries in Europe....and you'll never suggest this again

"Trust me", there's irony.

Models suggested for pay for access in North America don't rely on the tenure system that was once common in Europe. as I said above it would be access via draws by people who apply to fish and they pay a fee. In much of Europe control of specific fisheries has passed to non-profit associations & angling clubs. Rates vary widely by the specific fishery and time of season.

Again I don't think such a system is coming here. End of discussion.

Comments I will make on Federal Politics I'll make in the discussion on the next Federal election.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 07:33:50 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

roseph

« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2023, 07:26:56 AM »

Limited entry for some fisheries is probably the only way forward.  Either that or zero fishery.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #474 on: September 10, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »

Agreed. People always ask me if I will sell my extra one to them when I'm on the river. Good burlap sacs are hard to find these days.

in the 90s we would buy them at Pitt Meadows Co Op co op for 2 bucks.
worked great but esp pinks make them get funky fast

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #475 on: September 10, 2023, 11:15:27 AM »

in the 90s we would buy them at Pitt Meadows Co Op co op for 2 bucks.
worked great but esp pinks make them get funky fast

that's where I got mine. Some garden shops carry burlap in sheets or on rolls.

A large white cotton cloth or pillow case works as well, just keep it moist. Keep in shade if possible. FWIW i cleaned my fish after catching and transferred to a cooler with freezer packs in the car ASAP. when walking into some locations I've carried freezer packs in a lugable soft cooler, cleaned any fish I caught and then put a pack in the burlap sack with the fish.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 02:51:38 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Animal Chin

« Reply #476 on: September 10, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »

Keep in shade if possible. FWIW i cleaned my fish after catching and transferred to a cooler with freezer packs in the car ASAP. when walking into some locations I've carried freezer packs in a lugable soft cooler, cleaned any fish I caught and then put a pack in the burlap sack with the fish.

Yeah, even moreso when the pink fishery is happening, but you really do have to take care of pinks. I find they deteriorate the fastest of all the 5 types. Not sure if it's the fish or the summer heat. Hard to transfer fish to cooler bag neatly when bite is on, though a there hasn't been much of a sustained bite for me this season. More one and done, or one and wait hours before another bite this year both at Furry and on the Fraser.

danielk

« Reply #477 on: September 10, 2023, 02:24:06 PM »

You can get them from plumbing suppliers when they have the burlap ones.  You can call and ask.  They are switching over to plastic mess now so call around

funpig

« Reply #478 on: September 10, 2023, 05:45:38 PM »

I never catch enough fish to worry about keeping them fresh at the river. I usually clean it right away, stick it in a plastic bag and head home. 

I see a few guys put the bonked fish on a rope stringer (through the mouth and gills and secured to shore), and toss the whole fish back into the river to keep cool.  Once they are finished fishing, they pull the fish out of the water and clean them before going home.

I am done for the season. Flying out to Portugal tomorrow for vacation. I fished a couple hours every day Sept 1 - 10, usually incoming tide. 4 fish landed from 7 hooked. Average about $7.50 per fish based on price of license.  Prior to the season, I bought three pinks from Costco for 24 bucks for average cost about $8 each.

Enjoy the rest of your pink season.

sumasriver

« Reply #479 on: September 10, 2023, 05:49:31 PM »

I don't enjoy the flavour of Pink Salmon.   Way too mild for me.

Coho season soon though.... so that is pretty exciting.