Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88559 times)

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2023, 11:03:10 AM »

Looks like the commercial opening accurately reduced half of daily run size every day. The commercial opening closed on Sep 10th
May be, but there are natural factors determining the waves of fish migrating in a single day.  Now the target has been reached, there may be new Commericial Openings.

Pink In-season Update
September 12, 2023
Current Trends – Mission Passage
• Second peak at Mission currently being observed
• Final run size will still depend heavily on what is left to come up the river, as the tail of the distribution can
be highly variable across years
• Current run size estimates based on Mission escapement to date plus seaward catch are just under 10
million (9.9 million)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:08:56 AM by fic »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #511 on: September 12, 2023, 11:19:02 AM »

May be, but there are natural factors determining the waves of fish migrating in a single day.  Now the target has been reached, there may be new Commericial Openings.

there is very small participation from the commercial fleet, Area B chose to fish with very few boats to try to maximize the catch.(2-3) There has only been about 300k area B commercial catch, total catch from all sectors including USA is around 700k pinks so far.  since pinks are almost worthless. Bruce's market is selling them 20 bucks for 5 fish.

looks like the runsize has been reforcasted to 15,000,000 and could go down as low as 10 million

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psc.org%2Fwp-admin%2Fadmin-ajax.php%3Fjuwpfisadmin%3Dfalse%26action%3Dwpfd%26task%3Dfile.download%26wpfd_category_id%3D677%26wpfd_file_id%3D15248%26token%3D%26preview%3D1&embedded=true
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:21:18 AM by wildmanyeah »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #512 on: September 12, 2023, 11:27:40 AM »

With Costs so high, and Pinks so cheaply valued, I am surprised fishing for Pinks is even profitable. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #513 on: September 12, 2023, 11:34:46 AM »

there is very small participation from the commercial fleet, Area B chose to fish with very few boats to try to maximize the catch.(2-3) There has only been about 300k area B commercial catch, total catch from all sectors including USA is around 700k pinks so far.  since pinks are almost worthless. Bruce's market is selling them 20 bucks for 5 fish.

looks like the runsize has been reforcasted to 15,000,000 and could go down as low as 10 million

see my comments from a few days ago. If these were sockeye the reduction of an in season forecast by 50% would lead to accusations of rampant poaching and calls for an inquiry. There has always been a lot questions of how accurate the mission sonar fence is though they claim they are better at interpreting the results than a couple of decades ago. If the price of pinks were higher they could have massively over fished the run before it even got to the Fraser.  It's kind of a dark science and more proof they need to as conservative as possible both in forecasting and in the size of the target escapement.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 12:13:34 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #514 on: September 12, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »

that thing in front of your car  ;)

its just a mono connection to mainline braid so your lure is tied to mono rather than braid

Other than a swivel, I'd never tie anything directly to braid. The fish can see it. Likewise with the leader; 10lb mono is more than adequate for pinks and coho.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #515 on: September 12, 2023, 11:41:35 AM »

With Costs so high, and Pinks so cheaply valued, I am surprised fishing for Pinks is even profitable.

one Tasmanian lure cost as much as two pink salmon from grocery store.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #516 on: September 12, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »

I'd still rather buy the lure. Although for next time I will gladly order 10 online for half the price.

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roeman

« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2023, 02:26:14 PM »

LOL
Read this a hour ago and its still making me laugh....
Are you fishin or catchin

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2023, 02:33:44 PM »

They'll take any lure. I talked to a guy limiting out on home-made spinners. He does metal work and can make anything very cheaply. He out fishes most people on the river with it.

Phronesis

« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2023, 02:34:25 PM »

Do any of us go out for fishing with ROI in mind? Lol

Wade

« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2023, 02:39:20 PM »

That inconsistency of success is a common complaint and has been going back 50+ years in my experience. There has been a lot of speculation particularly on exact location and the ephemeral nature of the bar structure. Specific locations can be very important for what ever reason. I fished beside my father on what's now called Derby Reach and an  early October day. With perhaps 100 rods in the water he caught 4 coho jacks while only one other fish was taken all day. There was nothing special about the bait. He used dew worms. Many anglers cast too far out. Fish are often quite close in. The common advice was to cast 30 to 50 feet. Casting 100 feet means your offering may spend more than half the time too far away from the fish traveling lanes. Pinks are lazy swimmers and stay close to shore if they can. Yesterday on a bar above Chilliwack the fish were in the shallow water, clear of strong currents just 10 to 30 feet from shore.  Other advice for spin casting is pay attention to the speed of your retrieve. Slower is better, especially with pinks. It also keeps you lure in the strike zone longer. Casting slightly downstream also helps as it gives the lure a bit more action and allows a slower retrieve If someone near you is having luck and you're not pay attention to what they may be doing differently & copy them.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge…went out for another hour and half this morning, claimed my redemption and lucked out 4 beautiful female fish (2 of them over 55cm), at the same spot……it’s so much more than cast and retrieve. got to understand the structure of the spot, let the lure drop, find the bottom, know the pots under the water, slow retrieve, got to have some action with the lure but not too much because pinks don’t chase it the way coho does…

Btw, I’ve been using 5lb power pro braid as mainline connected to 12lb seaguar invizx with FG knot, safe to say it’s more than enough to handle pinks…

Aurora

« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2023, 03:55:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing the knowledge…went out for another hour and half this morning, claimed my redemption and lucked out 4 beautiful female fish (2 of them over 55cm), at the same spot……it’s so much more than cast and retrieve. got to understand the structure of the spot, let the lure drop, find the bottom, know the pots under the water, slow retrieve, got to have some action with the lure but not too much because pinks don’t chase it the way coho does…

Btw, I’ve been using 5lb power pro braid as mainline connected to 12lb seaguar invizx with FG knot, safe to say it’s more than enough to handle pinks…

5lb?  I am guessing you meant 15.

Aurora

« Reply #522 on: September 12, 2023, 03:58:46 PM »

Do any of us go out for fishing with ROI in mind? Lol

Out fishing your buddies, Priceless.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2023, 04:07:00 PM »

Probably 50 lb. Do they make 15 lb. braid ?

Wade

« Reply #524 on: September 12, 2023, 04:14:48 PM »

yes, 5lb, not 15lb, with FG knot, easiest way to boost casting distance…

watched some test on youtube that 10lb power pro braid with FG knot has 20lb breaking point strength, so I figured 5lb should be enough for pinks and tested it, works well.