Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 88647 times)

Jelly_

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #525 on: September 12, 2023, 05:06:21 PM »

That inconsistency of success is a common complaint and has been going back 50+ years in my experience. There has been a lot of speculation particularly on exact location and the ephemeral nature of the bar structure. Specific locations can be very important for what ever reason. I fished beside my father on what's now called Derby Reach and an  early October day. With perhaps 100 rods in the water he caught 4 coho jacks while only one other fish was taken all day. There was nothing special about the bait. He used dew worms. Many anglers cast too far out. Fish are often quite close in. The common advice was to cast 30 to 50 feet. Casting 100 feet means your offering may spend more than half the time too far away from the fish traveling lanes. Pinks are lazy swimmers and stay close to shore if they can. Yesterday on a bar above Chilliwack the fish were in the shallow water, clear of strong currents just 10 to 30 feet from shore.  Other advice for spin casting is pay attention to the speed of your retrieve. Slower is better, especially with pinks. It also keeps you lure in the strike zone longer. Casting slightly downstream also helps as it gives the lure a bit more action and allows a slower retrieve If someone near you is having luck and you're not pay attention to what they may be doing differently & copy them.

Ill be sure to keep that in mind, thanks ralph!  ;)

Jelly_

« Reply #526 on: September 12, 2023, 05:08:49 PM »

one Tasmanian lure cost as much as two pink salmon from grocery store.
How much are pinks worth from the grocery store?

Colersmom

« Reply #527 on: September 12, 2023, 06:13:36 PM »

Is it even a good option to fish at the Vedder right now? I personally thing that the gov should close it until the water levels raise....

Jelly_

« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2023, 07:44:26 PM »

Is it even a good option to fish at the Vedder right now? I personally thing that the gov should close it until the water levels raise....
I hear theres lots of people, yet the fishing is slow. Ill probably head to the vedder once tidal pinks are closed.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2023, 08:28:49 PM »

After switching to 15 lb mono bumper I have had much better success. Much less line abrasion, almost perfect land ratio. I started checking my hooks sharpness regularly. Slow retrieves with Tasmanians has worked killer. Only time I lost fish yesterday is when I had my drag too loose. I found to hook almost all my fish when next to no fish were surfacing or jumping

Tazzies are the real deal.  I’ve used spinners, spoons,wedding bands, hoochies.  You name it.  It’s not even close.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »

Also be aware that there are good numbers of interior coho in the Fraser now.  I hooked three of them in a short span today. gently released of course.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2023, 08:42:18 PM »

yes, 5lb, not 15lb, with FG knot, easiest way to boost casting distance…

watched some test on youtube that 10lb power pro braid with FG knot has 20lb breaking point strength, so I figured 5lb should be enough for pinks and tested it, works well.

How does the 5lb braid work on snag or rock edges? one touch your valuable lure is gone.

Wade

« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2023, 09:11:42 PM »

How does the 5lb braid work on snag or rock edges? one touch your valuable lure is gone.

Snagged off two lures on logs so far, in those situations even 50lb mainline wouldn’t be able to save them…haven’t had any issue with rocks yet

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2023, 09:30:39 PM »

Tazzies are the real deal.  I’ve used spinners, spoons,wedding bands, hoochies.  You name it.  It’s not even close.
agreed. I will do some testing for coho and chinook this vedder season and also for river trout but I may end up selling 90% of my lures and order a bunch of tazzies.

Man this past week has been weird. Some days 3 fish all in an hour. Some days 1. Today I got one second cast and nothing after
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 09:34:10 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2023, 09:35:54 PM »

I don’t believe in secret lures…but I’ll still be buying a couple of Tassies in 2025😀

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #535 on: September 12, 2023, 09:45:38 PM »

I don’t believe in secret lures…but I’ll still be buying a couple of Tassies in 2025😀

That dam thing is magic. I only have a metallic blue one. caught pink every time, anywhere.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #536 on: September 12, 2023, 10:14:30 PM »

how can a lure that's been around for 40 years be a secret? :)

When I first saw it I thought it was a kids toy.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #537 on: September 12, 2023, 10:35:33 PM »

agreed. I will do some testing for coho and chinook this vedder season and also for river trout but I may end up selling 90% of my lures and order a bunch of tazzies.

Man this past week has been weird. Some days 3 fish all in an hour. Some days 1. Today I got one second cast and nothing after
I can attest to the fact that they work very well on coho!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #538 on: September 12, 2023, 10:42:27 PM »

I can attest to the fact that they work very well on coho!
I've heard aswell, dam a chartreuse or blue one would be killerrr.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

243Pete

« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2023, 07:35:28 AM »

I've heard aswell, dam a chartreuse or blue one would be killerrr.
The 7gram chartreuse in slow/ frog water is pretty damn effective on coho.

For me I've been tossing the small 7gram pink luminous at Ambleside with amazing results, a pain to cast but with 12lb fluro leader, thin braid and a light breeze these things catch air and sail.

Fraser on the opening week at first light the 7gram worked like fire but during the afternoon or evening bite they seem to want the larger 14gram size more.

A little bird told me that they will be getting another shipment some time this week.  :-X "A small shipment"
And for anyone wondering only the Cambie and 6th location carries Tas-lures, the other Can-Tire locations don't and I am unsure if they will be getting them in the future.