Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 43236 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Chum salmon weren't and are not enhanced for the benefit of "Coastal BC food webs". They were and are enhanced for the benefit of commercial fisheries and to make it look like the Salmonid Enhancement Program and it's successors was a success, which is was not. It was done to achieve political goals.

Chum runs are in trouble up and down the Pacific coast. Exactly why isn't clear but just about every major run seems affected.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:12:25 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer

If SEP’s stated objectives are to be trusted, chum enhancements support both harvest and conservation & rebuilding objectives.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

No one said that when it happens, the benefits to coastal food webs is a bad thing. Fact is no one mentioned it at all. Trouble is it isn't part of the SEP Mission statement or objectives, where ever those can be found. Recently the run hasn't been large enough to make as big a contribution to 'coastal food webs' as it has in decades past. this year is shaping up to be one of those years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

A couple of photos from the last two weeks. Good abundance of coho salmon in almost every run we've come across, low and clear water conditions have produced only a few bites. Good times regardless.

Chum Slayer

Like Rodney said plenty of coho in the river, however getting them to bite is the problem. Because of the low water the fish are constantly getting snagged or flossed, which puts them off the bite. Only hooked one coho today.

Darko

• Old Timer

Like Rodney said plenty of coho in the river, however getting them to bite is the problem. Because of the low water the fish are constantly getting snagged or flossed, which puts them off the bite. Only hooked one coho today.
hopefully the rains this week will help.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

vancook

• Old Timer

I was out last Friday and fished a rather busy spot that holds fish. Typically can be great fishing but the low clear water kept their lips fairly tight. The odd coho was being caught but for the most part they were not interested. As the morning progressed I shared the run with only a couple anglers, the bite never turned on but the peace and quiet was wonderful.

The prior trip to the river was Oct.2 where I took a long hike with a friend to fishy waters. Successful day but slipped on the muddy trail on the way out, falling head first off the trail into blackberry bushes down the slope, fortunately not along the many drop offs on this trail. Couldn’t help but think it happened due to someone wishing ill will upon me a week prior. A sore back and leg kept me off the river until last Friday.

Todays rain gives me hope for a bump in water level and some colour to the water. I might have to take tomorrow or Wednesday off to do some fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River was dirty this morning but it's improving now, should be good in a few hours.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Pretty good bites throughout the day yesterday, managed to retain three.

This afternoon, visibility was around 2ft but didn't really like the colour. It remains brown, but managed to pull one out.

vancook

• Old Timer

It’s muddy.
Water is still rising on the graph. Possibly it’s raining heavy up top, light rain down low.
About a foot of visibility.
If it starts to drop or level out soon it may clean up later this afternoon. I can’t stay out that long. Will try again later this week.

Kever

Just watched Rod's latest video about fishing for coho with spoons and couldn't help but wonder if a trailing hook would improve the landing ratio.  Anyone else use a trailing hook or was that only popular for a couple years?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Just watched Rod's latest video about fishing for coho with spoons and couldn't help but wonder if a trailing hook would improve the landing ratio.  Anyone else use a trailing hook or was that only popular for a couple years?

Have used it for trout. Haven't noticed any significant improvement. Have discontinued using it.

Kever

Saw in the video comments that some people use a swivel attached to the hook and said it improves landing ratio, I may try that instead. 

psd1179

• Old Timer

bend the hook gap smaller and hook point a little inward. use longer mono leader