Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 50883 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

It was about this low last fall. The Harrison and Fraser were very low. Low water means less spawning gravel so more crowding. Not good things. Last fall was summer like until around the 24th. We had super on our deck every night. Then we had rain followed by cold weather, frost then snow.  I recall wet snow Nov 1st once but it melted away by mid-afternoon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:30:30 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

would like to hear from old timers if this is something they have experienced in the past. certainly has not been like this in the last 15 years i have been fishing.
45 years fishing the local region 2 rivers. Never has it been low water like this. October was always a very rainy month in years gone by. It’s mid October and we are having shorts and t-shirt weather today. My wife’s roses in the backyard are still blooming. I am hoping this is a blip and more normal conditions return again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:28:32 PM by Wiseguy »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

I just picked a bowl this afternoon. Whoever invented Sungold Cherry Tomatoes deserves a prize. There is nothing in the world like them.

x2, mine must be 10 feet tall. highly encourage any other gardeners on this forum to try them. they are available at west coast seeds.

i tried the dark red almost black ones and they tasted good but were hard to germinate and split super easy. don't think i would do them again.

Wade

Expect the gong show to continue on the Chilliwack river. DFO did a fish count on the Stave and only recorded a single chum. Chehalis has extremely low water conditions and looks like a creek instead of a river. Dewdney slough has no water either only on a high tide a little water flows into the slough then flows back out on the receding tide.  Normally the other systems will spread out the anglers not so this year. Get used to the shoulder to shoulder fishing untill the end of the season cause the Vedder is the only game in town.

One chum…seriously? Always wondered why the hatcheries here mostly only produce chinook and coho, but not chum…chums take so little from the rivers but bring back so much, their roes have so much higher economies values, and some chums caught in sea are the most expensive salmon selling at higher $ than bluefin tuna…

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

A few made it to the hatchery, now they can be safely transported to the fish plant. ;)

https://youtube.com/shorts/01O98WgcatE

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Expect the gong show to continue on the Chilliwack river. DFO did a fish count on the Stave and only recorded a single chum. Chehalis has extremely low water conditions and looks like a creek instead of a river. Dewdney slough has no water either only on a high tide a little water flows into the slough then flows back out on the receding tide.  Normally the other systems will spread out the anglers not so this year. Get used to the shoulder to shoulder fishing untill the end of the season cause the Vedder is the only game in town.

good amount of rain expected over the next 3 days so we'll see if that makes a difference.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Seen on one the FB sites there was a crackdown by DFO on the Chilliwack river. Lots of infraction tickets were handed out. Great to see some enforcement on the river this year.

stsfisher

A few made it to the hatchery, now they can be safely transported to the fish plant. ;)

https://youtube.com/shorts/01O98WgcatE
Looks like the Orcas will be starving again, better send them back to the ocean not the plant.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

One chum…seriously? Always wondered why the hatcheries here mostly only produce chinook and coho, but not chum…chums take so little from the rivers but bring back so much, their roes have so much higher economies values, and some chums caught in sea are the most expensive salmon selling at higher $ than bluefin tuna…

the latest data I can find on line for 2021,total chum fry releases from hatcheries was 5.7 million for the V/C, Chehalis, Harrison, Inch Creek and Alouette. The biggest release was the Chehalis/Harrison (4.1 million), The V/C (1 million) Inch creek (0.8 million) and Alouette (0.4 million).

Source: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/index-eng.html

Seems considerable to me. Overall the history of hatchery supplements in FV is that chum have been enhanced the most primarily because they were so easy to do.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 10:42:03 AM by RalphH »

Wade

the latest data I can find on line for 2021,total chum fry releases from hatcheries was 5.7 million for the V/C, Chehalis, Harrison, Inch Creek and Alouette. The biggest release was the Chehalis/Harrison (4.1 million), The V/C (1 million) Inch creek (0.8 million) and Alouette (0.4 million).

Source: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/index-eng.html

Seems considerable to me. Overall the history of hatchery supplements in FV is that chum have been enhanced the most primarily because they were so easy to do.

Thanks Ralph

Dave

• Old Timer

Unfortunately the wise managers at DFO have decided to reduce Fraser system chum production 45% from 2021 levels.
A very, very poor decision, imo.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

the 2023 plan releases for the same streams looks to be 4.9 million. The V/C is the same. Alouette and inch Creek declined somewhat but not by 45%

source: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/index-eng.html

SuperBobby

In some ways I'm actually glad the Chum population is down. Even with the Interior Steelhead window closure, if the chum numbers are up, the Commercial Fleet E is out in November with their gill nets and yes....they are getting Thompson Steelhead. Don't believe the BS that they aren't. We all know they are. I can remember accidently hooking at least 3 over the years after November 15th when fishing with my trout gear for trout only. Needless to say that my gear was trashed each time.

Gillnet Fleet E also scoops up too many Chehalis Coho in November as well as many of the later wild runs that go into the smaller Fraser Tribs.

As for tradeoffs....I will take lower chum numbers any day of the week if it keeps the commercial fishermen out of the Fraser during the month of November.

Dave

• Old Timer

the 2023 plan releases for the same streams looks to be 4.9 million. The V/C is the same. Alouette and inch Creek declined somewhat but not by 45%

source: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/data-donnees/index-eng.html
You're right, the 45% was over 2 years. Production was reduced by 25% in 2022, the remaining 20% is proposed for 2023.
The important thing is despite SuperBobby's ideas, chum salmon are invaluable to coastal rivers and should be enhanced wherever and however they can. Again, in my opinion.

clarki

• Old Timer

I’m with you, Dave. SB’s comments notwithstanding, the importance of chum to coastal BC food webs outweighs the risk to mixed stock fisheries.