Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: herrling island 18th BOO!!!  (Read 5821 times)

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
herrling island 18th BOO!!!
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:39:14 AM »

IS it me, or am i the only boob that keeps posting about herrling?  Does anyone even care?  
anyways.....woke up late, went there at 7am, a lot of people caiught there liimt, except me, since i need lessons on how to feel the difference from rock bouncing and fish getting flossed......  SO i got 0 in the 3 hours i was there since the sun hit the water and all the fish ran away.  Pretty much everyone around me got there limit, what a sad year for me...... no spirings to show for and I only 3 sockeye to show for the whole yr..... Well im sure next yr will be better for me, since there are suppose to be 13 mil sockeye,  Im sure Im bound to floss about 10 of them.... ;D
so lets see here... i got 3 sockeye, went out 6 times......hmmm that is a bad ratio... 1 fish for every 2 outtings....
The good thing about today was. i was so desperate to catch a sockeye that i went to all the bars that they talked about here, went to peg leg, and dam is that place PACKED, its like scale bar but 10 times better..... ladilaw was ok.... but its like scale bar, only small area where there is a prime spot.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
Re:herrling island 18th BOO!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:49:23 AM »

Great report gmoney..to bad u didnt hook any today.. better luck next time  :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 12:50:56 AM »

Better luck next year  :D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 07:56:28 AM »

A rock feels like a "tic" a fish feels like a soft "Thud" strike at the soft ones and you'll successfully floss more Sox.  Yah, like Doc says (I think) hearling used to be almost a secret.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 08:54:01 AM »

And then they told 2 freinds and so on, and so on... :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 08:54:23 AM by grumman »

gmoney

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 09:08:01 AM »

Well on aug 17th, when i was there at 2 pm, there were only 4 people in the whole bar by 2pm. everyone started leaving around 1.  

Ok im going to pratice for next yr......IM going to playdium and playing that BASS fishing game, at least the simulates a real fish fighting back...... ;D ;D ;D
well season is not over yet i can still catch a spring.

MY friend that went caught a 40+ lb spring, it was 3 feet long, used a boat to bring it in.  This was about 7-8 pm.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 10:53:37 AM »

Love to see those pics Doc. I have few from around that time & oh how times have changed. I have one BF pic of a nice 18lb steelie from herrl's. Ever get any Steel BFing down there?

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »

I have to concurr with your observations on herrling.So if I may I will offer you this.Herrling changed dramatically over the last two years.It started when the bar that has formed immediately upstream began to take shape.This has caused the water to slow considerably allowing the deposit of silt.Not long ago herrling was much faster and deeper.Ten years ago it was mostly 4-8 inch rocks now there is even sand in some spots.This changing is a good thing in my opinion because just like the vedder you can never be quite sure from year to year exactly what to expect and it insures with a little exploration you can always find productive water reguardless of the fishing pressure! If you lok down on the scale bar from the hiway you can see it too has changed.it is much smaller due to erosion on the bottom end.
Riverman

gmoney

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 01:14:48 PM »

You would think a slower water would be good for the salmon, after running up against the current, you would think they would be tried and want to rest in a pool of water that wont push them back down.....
like if you ran for 10 km in a day, wouldnt u want to be resting in a shaded area instead of getting beat by the sun again?
hmm i dont know if that is a good comparsion to us and the fish, ::) ::)

TtotheE

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 05:57:53 PM »

gmoney:
LOL the bass fishing game over at Playdium!  You'd have to get a fish on the end of your hook before you can use such practice  ;D  Its never really helped me at least  :P

Riverman:
I agree about the upper bar and how its changed the island.  Seems you can only get the fish that are moving through after holding,  at first light.

gmoney:
The other day when we left ya on the bar to check out Peg Leg,  I was amazed at how many fish were being caught.  It almost seems that either all the fish were being caught at the peg and weren't making it up to Herrling,  or there are gross amounts of fish being caught in nets.  Or all the fish are taking a different channel on the other side of that island across the river.  Perhaps that's why a net was set over on that side?  ???

gmoney

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »

Well the season isnt over for me yet, I still have a spring at vedder to catch, even thought it is black, It will still be a spring that i caught for this 2004 season.  Hmm i wonder if they are good for fertilzer..... ;D  If i cant eat it, might as well make the other things i eat become bigger, like the other veggies.

Hope the DFO reopens the sockeye season again for 1 week.  Let it open before PNE closes. I know a lot of dads would take their families to the PNE than go fishing...... Reopen it for 1 week at least!!! I just want to catch 7 more sockeye so i can have double digit in fish caught this yr.

ttotheE:  In peg leg where did you fish?  near the parking lot or ALL the way to the other side, where u would need a car to drive there or it would of been a 15-20 walk......  Im sure you drove over.  When i went there too many people for me.....  I like ladilaw..... if herrling sucks next year, Ladilaw is my new spot, less of a walk, very strong current.....

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 09:35:16 PM »

gmoney, there's still the odd nice spring at vedder, you just got to find it. I predict a gong show at vedder even though the fish are already turning colour.

BirdNester

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 09:37:11 PM »

less of a walk, very strong current.....

a tonne of snags, fishing on rocks, no fish.....

RobertO

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 09:41:31 PM »

Next year, might be different.  all depends on the currents, water temp etc.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 10:00:18 PM »

Yeah that's a pretty major factor in the equation too, along with where the natives have set their nets :(