Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's at fault in car accident along Chilliwack Road video.  (Read 1146 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

I know this stretch of road in Chilliwack and found a video on youtube. Sort of fishing related.

Who would ICBC find at fault?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEmeW8Hajq8

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Who's at fault in car accident along Chilliwack Road video.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 02:00:45 PM »

the truck for sure. But can you guys be patient and not speeding?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 03:02:12 PM »

I'm surprised that the white car at the beginning of the video didn't get hit. Idiot, passing 4 cars. Why the rush ?

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 03:37:03 PM »

truck for sure!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 05:01:01 PM »

I would assign 20% responsibility of the crash to the operator of the  truck and 80% to the operator of the car.

It appears the truck was speeding , and should have been attentive to the possibility that the line of cars was as going slow because the lead car was preparing to turn. However the truck was lawfully passing on a broken yellow line and the onus is on the operator of the car to make sure it is safe to turn. With a check of his mirror, and a blind spot check over his shoulder, he would have seen that it was wasn’t safe to turn.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 06:33:49 PM »

I would assign 20% responsibility of the crash to the operator of the  truck and 80% to the operator of the car.

It appears the truck was speeding , and should have been attentive to the possibility that the line of cars was as going slow because the lead car was preparing to turn. However the truck was lawfully passing on a broken yellow line and the onus is on the operator of the car to make sure it is safe to turn. With a check of his mirror, and a blind spot check over his shoulder, he would have seen that it was wasn’t safe to turn.

exactly my thoughts. Always shoulder check! Im confident he was far enough even to see him from the side mirror... although yes truck was probably speeding aswell
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

danielk

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 08:49:33 PM »

No fault insurance  they both get hit.      But the truck was at fault.  You can’t pass if it’s unsafe.    And that wasn’t a safe place to pass !   

SuperBobby

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 09:17:13 PM »

Unfortunately ICBC is a joke, so it will probably be 50/50.....even with the dashcam footage.
If it was done fairly, the fault is 100% with the truck for an unsafe pass.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 09:32:52 PM »

Unfortunately ICBC is a joke, so it will probably be 50/50.....even with the dashcam footage.

Agree

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 10:38:24 PM »

rule of thumb is the last vehicle with the opportunity to avoid the accident is at fault. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect a vehicle turning left to check behind and to the left. It does appear they did not signal a left turn at all.

It's better as an example of how bad driving habits have become within the last few years. I see stuff like this (maybe not the accident) just about every day.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 11:25:25 PM »

Signal light was flashing.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 12:50:39 AM »

ICBC’s Learn to Drive Smart Manual recommends a mirror check and a shoulder check for both right and left turns.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 07:53:43 AM »

Signal light was flashing.

the white car that attempts the left turn doesn't come into view at about 35 seconds on the video and from then until it ends I cannot see a left signal at all. Not saying that vehicle is not at fault but the operator of the P.U. reckless and driving without due care IMO. No doubt ICBC has a huge manual on case law and would consult that to apportion blame. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dave c

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 10:40:11 AM »

the white car that attempts the left turn doesn't come into view at about 35 seconds on the video and from then until it ends I cannot see a left signal at all. Not saying that vehicle is not at fault but the operator of the P.U. reckless and driving without due care IMO. No doubt ICBC has a huge manual on case law and would consult that to apportion blame.
X2

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2024, 01:24:04 PM »

Aw, c’mon you guys! Obviously the guy with the dash cam is at fault! Everyone knows that you can’t have an accident if there is no video.