Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting older to the point that I need to change my boat  (Read 1133 times)

SuperBobby

Getting older to the point that I need to change my boat
« on: June 19, 2024, 04:48:33 PM »

Well....some of you have seen my posts talking about the advantages of float tubing when fly-fishing small lakes. I stand by that with everything in me. Unfortunately, this year has shown me that this may be a chapter of life coming to an end. I'm getting older and even though I'm not overweight and still in decent shape.....it's time for a boating change after 35 years of primarily float tubing. It's been colder this spring, and getting out of wet neopremes especially when you're cold is getting to be a challenge. I've also always float tubed with no life jacket (yes....say what you want about that), but the truth that life jackets are too bulky for float tubing. I'm at the point where I don't feel safe without a proper life jacket anymore. As for not using a life jacket, I was never overly concerned because I tested the secondary tube in the top back and surprisingly it will hold me above the water with a semi deflated main tube level with the neopremes staying dry. That's why I never worried about it and I don't go out far on big lakes in the float tube anyway. Also a little bit of reckless youth that probably overstayed it's welcome by about 10 years or more.

Anyways....I need something light. 120-140lbs Jon boats are out of the question....too heavy. I fish by myself most of the time. I want something light that will work as I go through my 50s into my 60s.
A fishing Kayak seems nice...but have never used them. Seen some good deals at Costco.
I'm not against a 'small' inflatable, but even if it doesn't come with an electric pump....I would want the option to be able to use one for it.
I don't need it to be able to use an electric motor. I do have a jon boat for those few times I fish with someone else that can handle my electric motor.
A comfortable sitting option would be nice.

Up for any suggestions.....

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Getting older to the point that I need to change my boat
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 06:53:46 PM »

i think a mariner 4, with electric motor setup, and one of those folding wagons to help you transport all the stuff should solve all your problems. You can inflate with one of those red coleman electric pumps and top it off with a handpump. they come with hardwood floors and you can custom make wood/carpet covers and even install nice chairs if you dont want a camping chair. setup takes about 10-20 m without the fancy stuff and 20-30 with the fancy stuff from what i have read.

example
https://youtu.be/lS8sfUp_v8I?feature=shared

but if you search mariner 4 custom build you will find many cool designs

with 10ft 9 inches of space its enough for 2-3 people
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

SuperBobby

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 12:15:16 PM »

i think a mariner 4, with electric motor setup, and one of those folding wagons to help you transport all the stuff should solve all your problems. You can inflate with one of those red coleman electric pumps and top it off with a handpump. they come with hardwood floors and you can custom make wood/carpet covers and even install nice chairs if you dont want a camping chair. setup takes about 10-20 m without the fancy stuff and 20-30 with the fancy stuff from what i have read.

example
https://youtu.be/lS8sfUp_v8I?feature=shared

but if you search mariner 4 custom build you will find many cool designs

with 10ft 9 inches of space its enough for 2-3 people

The 10.6 is a little big. This would be specifically for 1 person as I do already have a Jon boat. The Coleman pump is a good idea though.
As for the motor, I'm actually fine with just rowing a bit. I don't even need motor mount as again....I have the Jon boat if I really want to go that route. I only use the Jon boat if I have a couple youngsters with good backs fishing with me.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 04:19:49 PM »

The 10.6 is a little big. This would be specifically for 1 person as I do already have a Jon boat. The Coleman pump is a good idea though.
As for the motor, I'm actually fine with just rowing a bit. I don't even need motor mount as again....I have the Jon boat if I really want to go that route. I only use the Jon boat if I have a couple youngsters with good backs fishing with me.
the mariner 3 or tobin canyon pro are a bit smaller (about a foot) and still hard floor for a chair. Im afraid no other small inflatables come with hard bottoms but you could cut your own floor out. Fishing from a softbottom is not so great imo without the ability of a seat or standing its not the same.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 05:28:17 PM »

Aluminum floors come with many brands of inflatable. Lots of used options available. I have an older Achilles (1990 model) with a wooden floor. The floor is marine plywood and starting to delaminate and the plastic clips that hold the floor segments together are broken. It can all be replaced. Aluminum should be lighter. It rows great and is very very stable. Unlike 'toons they are good in the wind. Far more stable than most  jon boats. Lots of similar used boats on line in the 400 to 500 range. There are also sit on zodiac style boats where your legs below the knees dangle in the water and you can paddle with flippers and they usually have oars. I have a Dave Scadden  model. It weighs less than 30lbs. You can't stand in it, have to wear waders and get off to take a leak. Otherwise it has all the advantages of an inflatable.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 07:16:10 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2024, 10:42:55 PM »

I would suggest giving a framed, or frameless, pontoon boat a look. Granted you will still be in waders (although in warm weather I've just worn shorts when I forgot my waders!) but the plus side is that you are sitting much higher out of the water so only your shins are in the water. I've never been cold. Because you aren't half-immersed in water, you can get by with a pair of breathable waders that are much easier to get in and out of.

I've fished out of an 8 foot framed pontoon boat (Outcast and Bucks Bag) for the past 15 or so years. I avoid all things boat-related (aluminum, motors, gas, batteries...) and prefer a person-powered inflatable, perhaps for the same reasons that you like float tubes.

I only fish upcountry stillwaters for 5 days a year in my boat but it also gets used in local sloughs and lakes, even tidal rivers. I keep the boat assembled and inflated and hung from the ceiling of my garage. I can drop it down, load it into the back of my truck and have it strapped down in minutes.

For my purposes, it works for me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 05:33:26 PM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 07:53:48 AM »

As I mentioned above I have a Dave Scadden Outlaw Renegade which Scadden calls a "frameless Pontoon". Owned it for 14 years. Looks like new. Like a true inflatable it does not have a bladder. Unlike a pontoon it has a bow which makes for easier rowing and better performance in the wind. Better in rough water as well. I have owned it for 14 years. I bought it because back then I was recovering from a herniated disk and this boat weighs like 29 lbs. The bag supplied with it weighs more than the boat. Main disadvantage other than what I listed above is I can only cast behind the boat or to the sides, somewhat. The specific model is no longer made and you likely have to order it from the states. Other good boats of this style include the Water Master and the outcast stealth.

Hard to find these boast used in BC but some are around. Cost US is $1000 to $2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiqDm1V2JUc

https://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.com/

https://www.outcastboats.com/product/osg-stealth-pro-gray-lime/

https://www.bigskyinflatables.com/product/water-master-kodiak-raft/

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

SuperBobby

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2024, 03:43:08 PM »

Aluminum floors come with many brands of inflatable. Lots of used options available. I have an older Achilles (1990 model) with a wooden floor. The floor is marine plywood and starting to delaminate and the plastic clips that hold the floor segments together are broken. It can all be replaced. Aluminum should be lighter. It rows great and is very very stable.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it???

I would suggest giving a framed, or unframeless, pontoon boat a look. Granted you will still be in waders (although in warm weather I've just worn shorts when I forgot my waders!) but the plus side is that you are sitting much higher out of the water so only your shins are in the water. I've never been cold. Because you aren't half-immersed in water, you can get by with a pair of breathable waders that are much easier to get in and out of.

Yeah, I could do breathable, but I'm done with neoprene. I've found ways to dress warm enough on the Vedder during steelhead season that I will never wear neoprenes again.
Do you think that you could get away with the breathable that come up to your waste, or would you need the full size?

smaller version of the Scadden "Frameless Pontoon" available on Facebook Market place:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/934258114865430/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ab72e70a2-9a4d-4a52-a982-93f4914dfc

That's actually not too bad.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 05:40:51 PM »

Yeah, I could do breathable, but I'm done with neoprene. I've found ways to dress warm enough on the Vedder during steelhead season that I will never wear neoprenes again.
Do you think that you could get away with the breathable that come up to your waste, or would you need the full size?

From my experience with my framed boats, a pair of pant waders is perfectly adequate. Full chest waders are not necessary. I sit about a foot above the water and only the lower part of my shins is in the water.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 08:52:01 PM »

When alone I fish out of a 8 ft inflatable with aluminum floor boards. I installed detachable wheels on the transom for easy launching.  I use an electric motor for power. Raft fits in the box of my truck partially deflated. Foot pump gets it fully inflated with just a few pumps on each of the three air chambers. Super stable in the water. I can stand in it to cast a fly. Works like a charm on many of the lakes I like to fish.

SuperBobby

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 05:33:03 PM »

When alone I fish out of a 8 ft inflatable with aluminum floor boards. I installed detachable wheels on the transom for easy launching.  I use an electric motor for power. Raft fits in the box of my truck partially deflated. Foot pump gets it fully inflated with just a few pumps on each of the three air chambers. Super stable in the water. I can stand in it to cast a fly. Works like a charm on many of the lakes I like to fish.

What kind of 8ft inflatable do you use.

I'm surprised this isn't an easy decision to make.

My Jon boat is worth about 2k all decked out, so I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a proper Jon boat trailer to tow it. Right now I use an ATV trailer for it, but it requires the boat to be lifted off into the water and back on to it afterward. Again...I only use this now when I have strong youngsters fishing with me. The other thing is that a boat trailer limits me out of some of my secret lakes that have nothing that even resembles a boat launch.

Another option is to find a lightweight cartopper aluminum boat....although they can be tipsy the lighter they are.

The fishing kayak is still in my mind, but I hear from others that they can be tipsy as well. I'm not as agile as I used to be.

As for the pontoon style......I'm still on the fence. It would have to have an electric pump set up and even then....

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 05:52:46 PM »

The fishing kayak is still in my mind, but I hear from others that they can be tipsy as well. I'm not as agile as I used to be.
I would say it depends on the model. I fished out of a Hobie mirage drive kayak and it was surprisingly stable. You can stand and fish from some models.

You may want to try out Western Canoe and Kayak demo days; I did several years ago. You can test drive any number of watercraft.

https://westerncanoekayak.com/canoe-kayak-demo/

As for the pontoon style......I'm still on the fence. It would have to have an electric pump set up and even then....
Both pontoon boats I have use employed a double action manual pump. Very quick, and minimal perspiration, to inflate both pontoons.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2024, 07:10:44 PM »

I use both an electric and a double manual pump. You can use a foot pump as well. Blow your boat up with the electric, do other setup in the meantime, then top it till firm with a manual pump.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2024, 07:37:29 PM »

I’m using an Aquamarine inflatable I bought used off FB Marketplace for 400 bucks. Couldn’t be happier with how portable it is. I can get into the lakes that don’t have a boat launch.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 09:57:58 PM by Wiseguy »