Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting older to the point that I need to change my boat  (Read 6146 times)

SuperBobby

Re: Getting older to the point that I need to change my boat
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2024, 08:23:43 PM »

Perhaps not a limited as you think. My pontoon boat has four saddle bags. Lots of room to carry everything that I need for a day on the water: water, lunch, and every bloody piece of fly fishing tackle that I own. Easily enough room.

Re: extra clothes. Two of the saddle bags are big enough to hold a rolled up rain jacket or sweater. But in the past if I've needed to shed layers, I just drape the coat over the back of the seat. Many framed pontoon boat came with a back deck, and the frameless boats have a holding area behind the seat. Perfect place for a dry bag.

When I use my pontoon boat for stillwaters, I'm on the water for 6+ hours at a time, in a variety of weather conditions, and never have wished I had more storage space.

Agree with Clarki ! Have had a Bucks Bag pontoon for many years of still water fishing . Exceeded expectations and bonus of a little exercise pumping up pontoons and rowing ! Maybe not for everyone but works for me !

That's interesting. I wouldn't expect there to be much space for stuff.

I recently bought my self a fishcat cougar and I love it.

I took a look at the fishcat catalogue and yes....the pontoons are very nice, but their prices are out to lunch. Any company that sells a float tube for $629 U.S. .....well, I can't take them seriously.
It's not just the fishing industry, but there are so many companies out there right now trying to fool us into believing that 3 years of high inflation means that we should be paying double on our purchases compared to 4 years ago. Fishcat seems to be one of those companies. Not a chance I'm paying $1500 CND for a pontoon boat.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2024, 09:51:19 PM »

Not a chance I'm paying $1500 CND for a pontoon boat.

You don’t need to. They come up used (FlyBC, Marketplace…) all the time. I bought my Bucks Bag pontoon for $300 a few years ago off a FlyBC member.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2024, 10:50:14 PM »

Yup that's right clarki! I bought mine for 350 off of market place. Everything on it is great! I was given extra bladders aswell. But yes that much for a float tube is crazy, but for a pontoon with the light aluminum frame and back plate for motor that's not so bad.