Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: William Shatner and fish farming  (Read 8102 times)

fisherforever

William Shatner and fish farming
« on: June 22, 2024, 07:48:40 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: William Shatner and fish farming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 11:57:56 AM »

This will hurt Fisherbobs ears I am sure.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 12:37:30 AM »

This will hurt Fisherbobs ears I am sure.
LOL 😆. This is what happens when science does not meet the anti salmon farming agenda Chris.  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 01:34:21 AM by Fisherbob »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 08:04:16 AM »

there is a big difference between science and propaganda Bob. Articles in industry marketing journals are not science.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2024, 11:24:36 AM »

there is a big difference between science and propaganda Bob. Articles in industry marketing journals are not science.

Exactly Ralph, Shatner just proved your point.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 12:16:52 PM »

Bob you missed the point with your hopeless deflection.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2024, 08:57:25 AM »

I think that Bob has made more winning points than ones that he has lost. And let’s remember that Shatner is just an old worn out actor and not, in any way an expert, and the easiest way to stop the salmon decline is to stop killing salmon. You don’t need to go where no one has gone before to realize that the commercial fisheries kill more fish than all the fish farms could ever kill. How about if we put 4,000 people in the commercial fishery out of work and see what the results are? Maybe stop the herring roe fishery? Shut down the shrimp trawlers that have decimated the oolichans? I keep saying that everyone on the West Coast knows what caused the East Coast cod collapse but they can’t figure out what they root cause of our salmon collapse.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 09:03:29 AM »

I think that Bob has made more winning points than ones that he has lost. And let’s remember that Shatner is just an old worn out actor and not, in any way an expert, and the easiest way to stop the salmon decline is to stop killing salmon. You don’t need to go where no one has gone before to realize that the commercial fisheries kill more fish than all the fish farms could ever kill. How about if we put 4,000 people in the commercial fishery out of work and see what the results are? Maybe stop the herring roe fishery? Shut down the shrimp trawlers that have decimated the oolichans? I keep saying that everyone on the West Coast knows what caused the East Coast cod collapse but they can’t figure out what they root cause of our salmon collapse.

This ^^^

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2024, 09:32:36 AM »

Sorry but the line that the bromide that "the science" is on the side of open net salmon farms has just gotten very tired. Research independent of the big farm companies and DFO says otherwise. DFO has basically been found to have a conflict of interest in managing both farmed and wild salmon.

While I am at it, I feel much the same about simplistic statements such as "...just stop killing salmon". You realize "Our" salmon is subject to at least 4 separate jurisdictions right? Well add the FNs and it is kind of 4 1/2 and maybe 5. Plus there is the high seas where it like the mythical wild west. No control. Oh and hey Gord, maybe you can talk the seals, whales, salmon sharks, hake and bears to sign on to that big plan.

..and Shatner is an old man whose made some bucks pedaling an act as a senile weirdo. Wish I could do the same. Some FNs not involved in salmon farming found the ad funny and say they use much the same descriptions.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 10:19:43 AM by RalphH »

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2024, 09:58:41 AM »

Gee, I notice that you take very small parts of my post and remove all the context. You know that my contention is that the commercial fishery is killing fish and you bring "4 separate jurisdictions" into play while intimating that governing the fishery is impossible. I guess you think that we should just throw up our hands and give up on managing the waters. And to suggest that wildlife killing salmon is part of the problem when for millenniums the fish and game got by just fine until man starting making money off of removing millions of tons of fish from the biomass. We are constantly complaining about exporting raw, unprocessed logs with no value added but say nothing when we do exactly the same with our fish. Why are we allowing all the salmon to be shipped out of country with absolutely no value added? This is the least value we can put on those fish and it is just plain dumb. At least the farmed fish is processed in Canada by Canadians.
As far as the science goes, we pick which side we want and then believe whatever they tell that we like, I choose to believe that there is very little data showing a negative impact from farms and that the fish they produce should lessen the pressure on wild fish. I understand that this is the less popular position but it is also one with enough evidence to defend itself.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2024, 10:20:30 AM »

Gee, I notice that you take very small parts of my post and remove all the context...

Yes I am very clever ain't I!

If you and Dave can get everyone else on board, I will join!. Have fun.

GordJ

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 06:23:33 PM »

Yes I am very clever ain't I!

If you and Dave can get everyone else on board, I will join!. Have fun.
I can’t speak for Dave but I personally don’t need or seek your participation or validation. I am only offering my opinion to present another facet to the issue and not, unlike some, to build myself up as an expert on everything.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 07:16:23 AM »

I can’t speak for Dave but I personally don’t need or seek your participation or validation. I am only offering my opinion to present another facet to the issue and not, unlike some, to build myself up as an expert on everything.

Oh I don't pretend to be an expert on anything but I still can think for myself as deeply as I can and just like you render, my opinion. Neither do I need to resort to ad hominem attacks such as saying the problem in this argument is my personality and not this particular idea you advanced.  I am just pointing out some potential shortfalls in what is either a simple or simplistic idea. Not sure which it is but in my view very easy to say very difficult to do and even comprehend the ways in which "we" kill salmon... often unnoticed, such as how the chemical 6-PPD kills coho salmon and other salmonids. I also can't quite align this suggestion with the fact anglers haven't been able to kill wild steelhead for about 40 years now. How are they doing?

banx

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 10:27:20 AM »

I didn't know the moderators gave Bob permission to post in this forum.  colour me shocked.