Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: August 18th Fraser River Bar Fishing  (Read 4529 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
August 18th Fraser River Bar Fishing
« on: August 19, 2004, 06:47:29 PM »

A pretty simple report really.... Let's just say we're not eating springs at Rivers Day BBQ. :-[ BUT, there will be 250 hot dogs.... ;D

Our adventure started on the 17th actually. Nina and I spent the afternoon at the Greater Vancouver Zoo, which is always fun. That night we stayed at Travelodge in Chilliwack, which was so so. :P The alarm clock had a mind of its own. I set it for 7:00am, it went off at 3:30am, then we were wide awake after that little episode. Finally we were sound asleep again around 4am, and the fire alarm went off at 7am precisely! Didn't need the alarm clock at all in the first place! ::)

The meeting between CVRCC and FVRD went very well indeed. This is progressing positively. The Vedder River Festival will be fantastic and I hope all of you will come out to join us.

After the meeting, it was off to fishing. Mr Gadsden lead us to the launch, and things were flying off his boat while we drove. ::) Great example he was setting as a CVRCC director. ;D Nina and I had to stop and pick them up. One of the bags had our spin n glows in it. One of the spin n glow was semi-crushed, Chris claimed it was my tire. ;D

Fished between 1pm and 8pm. This time we baited some roe on the hook below the spin n glow just to entice a few jacks as well. The action started early as the furthest rod started to kick away. I sprinted like in an Olympic trial, no luck, fish was off before my hands got to the rod.

Second fish was hooked just after Terry joined us around 4pm. The jack leaped once and popped off the hook. Zero out of two for me. :-[

Third fish bit while we were all looking for agates around 7:30pm. I sprinted for the rod once again after hearing the drag clicking. Hooked it, again, brought it closer, tangled up with the rod below me and fish popped off. :-[

Back to looking for agates. Chris ran for the forth fish, set the hook, called Terry over so he could play the fish. Another jack, this time no so lucky for the fish (fish are often lucky when I am not near the rods). A nice fish around 2 to 3lb.

That's the report. Chris will probably fill you in a bit more. ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:21:10 AM by Rodney »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:August 18th Fraser River Bar Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 06:53:42 PM »

Nice jack, wish I could hook into one like that. Good report.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:25:40 PM »

Very snaggy area, lost two rigs including one as a Tower tangled up with me and got me into a nag.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 04:44:43 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 04:50:18 AM »

Am heading out shortly for another go at the jacks.

The bars should be mostly empty now although checked Peg last night and lots of people out there.

Talked to one family just heading out there and they did not know the sockeye fishery was closed.

A good sugestion is to try to fish selectively as much as possible now.

However saying that SDA on Saturday is_______________. :-\

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 07:02:54 AM »

The truth of the matter here is that there was significant failure of several to land a fish and the "old master" had to be called to ensure some success for the day.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 07:26:59 AM »

So, Yoda - I'm hoping you'll be there to help me get my Spring tomorrow :D:D:D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 11:43:03 AM »

hi chris,nice fish by the way,those spring,was it red or white spring??and i quess you were doing bar fishing with heavy weight or drift fishing with roe??.cause my son was asking me.thanks

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 12:32:38 PM »

Wow! What a neat looking little fish!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 01:52:51 PM »

Rodney/Chris: Notice in the picture that you guys were using a single action reel. Is it easy to wing out a 12-18 oz weight with those reels ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 08:47:10 PM »

hi chris,nice fish by the way,those spring,was it red or white spring??and i quess you were doing bar fishing with heavy weight or drift fishing with roe??.cause my son was asking me.thanks
Red and we were using about 14 ounces,#2 spin and glow with roe sacks.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 08:58:25 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 08:50:49 PM »

Rodney/Chris: Notice in the picture that you guys were using a single action reel. Is it easy to wing out a 12-18 oz weight with those reels ?
It takes practice just like anything else. We like them as they are low maintenance, hardly anything ever goes wrong with them.

Also they are nice to play a fish with because you control the fish with your hands on the reel. They are called knukle busters for a reason. ;D

It up to ones preferance of course.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 10:32:06 PM »

It's fun to play a fish on a single action reel. It's the first time I have heard of people using single action reels for bar fishing. Most everybody I know or talked to seem to use bait casters or spinning reels.

Alex015

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 10:33:53 PM »

i have 3 single aciton daiwa reels sitting in my garage, used to go ocean fishing up at pender harbor a lot, but now they are sitting in my garage doing nothing... didnt know i could use em for bar fishing  :o  

Alex015

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 11:24:03 AM »

maybe i can go start up some barfishing before springs close  ;D