Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie - How to start salmon fishing in rivers?  (Read 4179 times)

maple_ridge_mafia

Newbie - How to start salmon fishing in rivers?
« on: July 10, 2024, 08:56:32 AM »

Hello all,

I am new to salmon fishing and I would like to find out what gear I need and where I should go to start fishing for salmon. I am in Maple Ridge. Maple Ridge, Coquitlam, Langley, Mission, Abbotsford, and Chilliwack are all fairly accessible.

I heard there are king and sockeye salmon in the Chilliwack/Vedder rivers in this time of year? Would I be able to target them?

I know we have the Alouette river nearby but from what I gather that system is under a lot of pressure and isn't very productive... Is this true?

I have fished before just for trout so I don't know if I have the right gear to tackle salmon.

Thank you for the help in advance!

-maple_ridge_mafia
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 09:03:31 AM by maple_ridge_mafia »

fisherforever

Re: Newbie - How to start salmon fishing in rivers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 12:19:26 PM »

You are NOT ALLOWED to target sockeye in the Vedder/Chilliwack/Sumas rivers. Chinooks are now open best float fishing with roe or beads or wool.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 01:54:29 PM »

There is some decent fishing in the Alouette at times but just 10 minutes east is the Stave River that usually will have better fishing for coho and chum salmon (when they are open) in the fall. It can be worth fishing through much of the year. Whitefish are usually available in winter and spring plus there is a chance for trout and steelhead.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

GordJ

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 10:22:48 AM »

Some great non-advice here. If I were you I would go down to Hatch Match'r beside Telosky Park and see if I couldn't create a relationship with someone there to mentor you and if this didn't seem like a good fit I would find another store, like Searun in Coquitlam,   and try again. In my experience the staff in stores are really interested in fishing and can point you in the right direction. Of course sites like this help and can offer lots of info. Don't be in a rush to spend big money and observe, observe, observe.
P.S. They are springs or chinook and definitely not kings!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 10:24:30 AM by GordJ »

Chum Slayer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 12:07:59 PM »

To start salmon fishing, get a 8ft to 12ft long baitcasting rod in a medium to heavy configuration. then get a good mainline and some good leader material. after get a few Dne (20 gram)  floats, split shots, swivels, hooks (size 1 octopus) and some bait. Baits can vary but for a newbie wool with scent, beads and roe are the best. Then after getting your stuff set up (YouTube how to set up a slip float rig) go to a river that is open to salmon fishing. Right now that would be the Capilano, Chehalis and Chilliwack River. in these rivers, there are trout, steelhead, chinook salmon and coho salmon (the Capilano only has steelhead and coho salmon, and the Chehalis and Chilliwack rivers have chinook salmon and trout.) Head out to one of these rivers either first thing in the am or last light. Find a nice slow deep pool or long run of 5 to 6ft deep walking pace water. set your float depth so that your bait "floats" one foot off of the bottom of the river bed. This makes sure that the fish can see your bait and then bite the bait.  Then cast and cast until a fish bites. after 30 ish minutes to an hour if there is no activity or fish I would pack up to another spot. on the Vedder River, a great place to start would be by banter ice cream. Right out front you can catch salmon and there are miles of river to hike and wade up or down. Also, you will be able to practice your casting and will catch trout.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 01:09:15 PM »

Currently a bait ban in the Capilano. It has chinooks and chums in the fall.

Jelly_

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2024, 02:02:34 PM »

Currently a bait ban in the Capilano. It has chinooks and chums in the fall.
Doesn't the bait ban start from Aug 1 until Oct 31st?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2024, 03:02:35 PM »

Doesn't the bait ban start from Aug 1 until Oct 31st?

You're correct. I'm bad

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 04:27:46 PM »

Some great advice from GordJ:

Gord J  says:

You want some advice? Go talk to someone who hands out advice for money!

Clears up the meaning of advice for me!
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Jelly_

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2024, 04:46:36 PM »

Back to the main topic; I'm not the best salmon fisher out there and I'd really like to catch some on the float. I was told to keep the bait around 6 inches off the bottom, but I'm not quite sure how to adjust it properly. Does anyone have any tips on knowing how deep the spots are?
Thanks  :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2024, 04:56:30 PM »

If your weight hangs up, you are fishing too deep. If the bottom of your float points upstream, you may be fishing too deep. I am no expert on drift fishing but my understanding is that most salmon and steelhead stay at least a foot or two off the bottom and you want your bait to dangle above them to some extent. Coho for example look up for their food source, they don't look down. If your bait is below them you chance of a bite drop dramatically. If fish are present and particularly if other anglers are successful adjust the length from float to weight until you have success. No harm in copying what other anglers are doing both in terms of the float to weight length and whatever bait or lure you are using. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 06:17:27 PM by RalphH »

GordJ

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 08:54:59 AM »

Some great advice from GordJ:

Clears up the meaning of advice for me!
Just can’t stand anybody else having an opinion can you Gal?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 01:49:27 PM by GordJ »

fisherforever

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 10:12:46 AM »

Just can’t stand anybody else having an opinion can you Sal?
As in Sal Nam 🤫

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 10:17:00 AM »

As in Sal Nam 🤫
lol! Was wondering if that would come out😊

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2024, 11:50:43 AM »

Just can’t stand anybody else having an opinion can you Sal?

LOL! Who ever Sal was, (and he has now become a legend?) he is long gone.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:52:32 AM by RalphH »