Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farwell Canyon Chilcotin River  (Read 3550 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Farwell Canyon Chilcotin River
« on: July 31, 2024, 03:11:11 PM »

I have a video on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page. I wonder how much the Fraser River will drop and what will happen when breaks through? Does this river add a lot of water to the Fraser River? By the look of it it will create quite a lake behind it as the slide is quite high.This will not help the returning salmon to this watershed or the passage for them at the Big Bar slide.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 03:18:49 PM by chris gadsden »

SuperBobby

Re: Farwell Canyon Chilcotin River
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 04:26:50 PM »

This years sockeye haven't made it up the Chilko yet. I'm sure that logistics to get this river flowing again are going to take some time. Huge concern that we could lose this years Chilko sockeye run.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 04:55:30 PM »

bad news for the remaining steelhead aswell if its not resolved by september
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 08:17:20 PM »

This years sockeye haven't made it up the Chilko yet. I'm sure that logistics to get this river flowing again are going to take some time. Huge concern that we could lose this years Chilko sockeye run.
Actually, early run Chilko sockeye were identified in the Mission test fishery 10 days ago. These fish will be  there now or arriving within days.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 08:45:31 PM »

I have a video on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society FB page. I wonder how much the Fraser River will drop and what will happen when breaks through? Does this river add a lot of water to the Fraser River? By the look of it it will create quite a lake behind it as the slide is quite high.This will not help the returning salmon to this watershed or the passage for them at the Big Bar slide.

Near as I can tell, the Big Bar Creek hydrometric station is the first one downstream of the Fraser-Chilcotin confluence. https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MD013

Wow.. the Fraser dropped  approx a third of a metre/one foot almost immediately.

With a warm spell coming up, I wonder what that means for water temp impacts on migrating fish?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 08:53:28 PM »

This is an enormous slump of soil and substrate. It is not a rock slide:

The river behind the slide has to rise to the right of the photo to get  over it - some will have to fill the canyon there before it can start to erode it down and start to flow again. Even then it will be impassable for some time. This looks worse to me than the Boston Slide.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 10:09:41 PM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2024, 10:13:04 PM »

An alert has now be issued for the Chilcotin  and Fraser Rivers for flash flooding and debris flows from below the Farwell Canyon to Hope.

https://alertable.ca/#/details/2024/385452

"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 05:16:40 AM »

Oh wow! This is super unfortunate. I wonder if the government would be willing to grab stock from near the mouth and truck them up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2024, 08:11:37 AM »

Oh wow! This is super unfortunate. I wonder if the government would be willing to grab stock from near the mouth and truck them up.
At this time it will not be safe to go near the rivers including the Fraser River as who knows when it could break through, some reports the slides is 30 metres high. We can hope the slide works it way through the slide very slowly or there could be some serious damage below it.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2024, 08:56:19 AM »

Ya I saw a post come across my FB newsfeed saying 30m high and 600 meters deep, that's alot of debris. I really hope that it releases soon, I'd hate to have yet another sockeye population eradicated. Would be just all the more reason they need to keep the fraser closed off.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2024, 04:46:49 PM »

video from a helicopter overflight of the slide area today. Starts below the slide so the degree of dewatering and seepage under the slide is visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUDxIrP7e1I&t=295s

SuperBobby

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2024, 05:31:10 PM »

From watching that video, it could be days before it goes. Apparently, we are less than 2 weeks from the main Chilko Sockeye run entering the Chilcotin River itself. One of the last fairly healthy sockeye runs left in the Fraser watershed.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2024, 06:10:38 PM »

The Province now expects the dam will likely not experience a rapid collapse but that the river will top the dam, flow over it and slowly erode it away.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-the-far-reaching-impact-of-the-landslide-blocking-bcs-chilcotin-river/

https://globalnews.ca/news/10678130/bc-landslide-chilcotin-river-latest/

good news for people near the river but perhaps not so good for fish.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2024, 09:03:31 AM »

It is the natural process of shaping the landform