Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watt Creek Fish Population  (Read 4971 times)

Chum Slayer

Watt Creek Fish Population
« on: August 09, 2024, 10:37:33 AM »

Hey guys just a question about Frosst and Watt Creek that empties into Cultus Lake, does it support a spawning cutthroat population? or do any of the creeks around cultus? I am just curious as I was hiking around the upper and lower parts of many of these streams and they seem to have so much good spawning habitat. Like I mean just mint spawning habitat (gravel, lower predator density, heavily overgrown lots of cover, huge bug hatches, nice and cold year-round etc.) I know there are trout in Cultus Lake (cutthroat and bull) my question is if they don't spawn in the streams where do they spawn? secondly, if there are no trout in these streams then will the bass eventually move in?

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Watt Creek Fish Population
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 04:44:00 AM »

We keep our travel trailer at Cultus six months a year and I have spent a fair amount of time at the mouth of both those creeks over the years with a fly rod. And walked them. Spawning ? Good question. I don’t know ? They are both dead low in the summer and very high in the spring and fall. I have snorkelled the mouth of Frosst creek and there is lot of small trout around. I have had very little success with a fly for trout. I have caught loads of bass on the fly though. I have also wondered about the spawning. Maybe Rod has a better idea as he has spent a lot of time at Cultus.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2024, 06:49:46 AM »

Decades ago, as a kid, I fished Frosst in June  & caught a number of small cutthroat. Checking the regs I can see it is closed Oct 15 to April 15. I have heard that steelhead spawn there. Otherwise I can find no info on fish populations or species inventory on Frosst or Watt. Maybe you can walk those creeks in the closed period to see what's there?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 09:46:44 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2024, 09:46:36 AM »

I haven’t worked on Cultus Lake for about 15 years but then Frosst Creek had spawning populations of pink, chum, and coho, as well as cutthroat and Bull trout.

salmonrook

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 11:51:29 PM »

They may spawn on shore gravel , by Lindell beach or on the north side where there is no human traffic
Cultus also has the re vitilized population of sockeye , which I believe spawns on the lake shore .
Unfortunately the bass have moved in here and have also observed large pike minnow spawning on the shore by the campsites