Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2  (Read 21037 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Chum Salmon Closure for Region 2
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2024, 11:51:47 AM »

From 2020 it had this in FN1108, 

Catch in the Chum net through October 13 totals 1,728 Chum Salmon. Combining this data with the historical information in a Bayesian non-linear regression model results in an expected terminal Fraser River Chum Salmon return of 1,082,000 Chum (median estimate), with a 50% migration date of October 22. The return is expected to be between 688,000 and 1,738,000 (80% probability), and it is very likely that the return will meet the escapement goal of 800,000.

We exceeded that this year by a few dozen fish, so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say this year.

If i could like and thumbs up this post i would

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2024, 02:17:12 PM »

I was down at stave yesterday and everyone around me was hooking chum including me. I was not intentionally targeting chum, but they kept on hitting my jig. The stave is pretty much taken over by chum right now.
I dont understand why chum is closed to even catch and release though, its quite hard not catching them since they are quite eager to bite your setup.
It’s closed because there is a conservation concern. They are being protected. Move spots. Sounds like DFO needs to pay the Stave river a visit.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2024, 02:23:08 PM »

Interested to know why the big interest in the size of the chum return?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

243Pete

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2024, 06:02:10 PM »

Interested to know why the big interest in the size of the chum return?
Rumour has it that if the number exceeds a certain "number" that they will open a catch and release only fishery.

But with the way people are blatantly breaking the laws I expect some form of reprecussion from this, give them any excuse to close something (like last year they closed the crossing for a period of time due to people hooking to many Cultus Sockeye) and they will.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2024, 08:26:04 PM »

Ya the stave is a known spot for chum harvesting I've had people send me photos of chum hidden in rocks with there bellies split open.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2024, 08:59:42 PM »

Ya the stave is a known spot for chum harvesting I've had people send me photos of chum hidden in rocks with there bellies split open.
Report to the DFO.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2024, 10:17:55 PM »

call RAPP:

good for DFO and the Province
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2024, 06:48:42 AM »

It's been reported don't worry.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2024, 08:28:44 AM »

From 2020 it had this in FN1108, 

Catch in the Chum net through October 13 totals 1,728 Chum Salmon. Combining this data with the historical information in a Bayesian non-linear regression model results in an expected terminal Fraser River Chum Salmon return of 1,082,000 Chum (median estimate), with a 50% migration date of October 22. The return is expected to be between 688,000 and 1,738,000 (80% probability), and it is very likely that the return will meet the escapement goal of 800,000.

We exceeded that this year by a few dozen fish, so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say this year.

... according to this report (prepared in april 2022) the Fraser Chum return was below escapement 2017 to 2021:

Fraser River Chum Salmon spawning escapement failed to reach the escapement
goal 2017-2020.

Escapement assessments in 2021 are currently underway; terminal return will
likely be close to the lower end of in-season predicted return (~400,000) and will
likely be the 2nd lowest recorded escapement in over 20 years (with only 2019
escapement being lower).
pg 2

if so whatever the model quoted above said is means little. In the FV (other than the mainstem Fraser) chum were open for retention per FN0789

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=235674&ID=all

The IMFP for the current year states that the run size will be assessed mid-October.  The minimum estimate for some recreational angling is still 800k plus.

The discussion of the Fishing plan or Fraser chum begins on pg 318; https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library-bibliotheque/41248089.pdf

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2024, 10:43:03 AM »

... according to this report (prepared in april 2022) the Fraser Chum return was below escapement 2017 to 2021:
 pg 2

if so whatever the model quoted above said is means little. In the FV (other than the mainstem Fraser) chum were open for retention per FN0789

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=235674&ID=all

The IMFP for the current year states that the run size will be assessed mid-October.  The minimum estimate for some recreational angling is still 800k plus.

The discussion of the Fishing plan or Fraser chum begins on pg 318; https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library-bibliotheque/41248089.pdf

Excellent post Ralph and good discussion

perhaps they will post something by friday afternoon

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2024, 04:01:26 PM »

FN1086-almon - Chum - Area 29 - Fraser River - October 18, 2024 Update.

The current run size estimate is sufficient to allow for recreational and commercial opportunities (including First Nations Economic Opportunities) in the Fraser River, subject to confirmation of the final run size estimate. Additional information on potential fishing opportunities will be provided via separate fishery notices.

The final planned in-season Fraser River Chum update will be provided in the week of Oct 21, 2024.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2024, 04:48:06 PM »

FN1086-almon - Chum - Area 29 - Fraser River - October 18, 2024 Update.

The current run size estimate is sufficient to allow for recreational and commercial opportunities (including First Nations Economic Opportunities) in the Fraser River, subject to confirmation of the final run size estimate. Additional information on potential fishing opportunities will be provided via separate fishery notices.

The final planned in-season Fraser River Chum update will be provided in the week of Oct 21, 2024.
There goes whatever Thompson steelhead are migrating in the river and the North side rivers cohoes which is a later run scooped up in the nets.  What a waste of a resource so chum roe can be sold to Japan.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2024, 05:51:30 PM »

I don’t believe the commercial fishery can open till November

Given ongoing declines in IFR Steelhead escapement and the designation of the Thompson and
Chilcotin River Steelhead as Endangered by COSEWIC, DFO is continuing with a
comprehensive, precautionary approach to the management of all fisheries in Southern BC that
are likely to impact this stock of concern. Within the Fraser River (including sub-Areas 29-6, 29-
7, 29-9, and 29-10), a 42-day closure will apply to commercial gill net, purse seine, beach seine,
and shallow seine fisheries (including EO fisheries) and a 27-day closure will apply to
commercial troll fisheries. Further, a 42-day closure will apply to Fraser River recreational
fisheries and a 27-day closure will apply to Fraser River FSC fisheries. Areas and dates for the
window closure are identified in Appendix 9.

(21-Sep 1-Nov)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2024, 05:54:47 PM by wildmanyeah »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2024, 09:27:00 PM »

Let’s hope so. I will LIKE this post.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2024, 07:06:09 AM »

Let’s hope so. I will LIKE this post.